True Love ...Does it exist??

Options

Replies

• Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    No in short. "Love" is merely the name we give to the ongoing mutually benefical co-existence of two people, which begins with a chemical reaction in both brains once they recognise each other as potential partners for the making and raising of children, maintaining a comfortable home existence, and providing ongoing support.

As a poster above said, you have to work at it - continuing to do things together which are mutually beneficial and "feel good" will result in the brain producing more of the chemicals which make you feel closer to one another.

Unfortunately some relationships come to an end. They ran their course, and you are no longer of use to one another. It sounds cold, but really that's what it's about. On the one hand it makes the whole idea of relationships seem pointless, but on the other it makes you realize that the pool of potential partners is actually limitless once you eliminate the idea of "true love" or the one perfect partner :flowerforyou:

Not saying it does, not saying it doesn't but this post hits the mark for me.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Divorced 2x. About to get married again. It took me 40 years but I finally found my true love and YES it does exist! Ive married for lust, I married for money, now im marrying my Best Friend who I think about 100x a day and who I cant wait to touch and talk too.

Its there, just too often we settle.

This is lovely. Best of luck to you and your special lady!! :heart:
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Not only do I believe in true love, I also believe in true love at first sight.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    NOPE
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. My husband is my "true love". Can't imagine my life without him. He's my very best friend.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Short answer? No.
  • nemsmom
    nemsmom Posts: 48
    Options
    Just looking for opinions here (I am not looking for an argument or anything), but do you think "true love" exists or just a fairytale?? I will be totally honest...I get very jealous when I see happy couples walking around because I am in the middle of a divorce. A divorce that needs to be done not just for the safety of myself but my babies, but it is still heart-breaking nevertheless because "dreams" have gone down the tubes. You won't understand unless you have experienced a divorce. So what is your opinion....

I have been through a divorce. Fortunately I didn't have kids then. I'm sorry you're going through this.

Now, to answer your question... Yes I believe in true love. A love that even when you're pissed at each other, you know all will be well because you truly love each other. Love that when there is no money to pay bills, or one of you get sick with a lifelong illness that breaks the bank, or you almost lose a child in birth, it only gets stronger.

You will find true love some day, I believe everyone will eventually. It actually found me, I was a waitress and he came into my restaurant as a costumer.

I know this hurts right now and I'm so sorry for that, but you are doing what necessary for you and your babies! Hang in there.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    For me its true, my husband is wonderful, but my best friend is a 26 and still single. So I'm sure for her its just a fairytale, Its sad I wish I could sympathies but I just can't
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You have to love yourself first.

^^^Exactly. This is key.

My story is similar to other posters - was in a very unhappy marriage, suffered through an incredibly brutal divorce. I swore off "love" - thought it was a fool's game for stupid people - and just started working on myself. Walked a rocky and winding road that eventually led me to self-acceptance, then self-love, and then true happiness, without feeling like a relationship was a necessary factor in being happy.

And that's when I met him, and now I absolutely believe in true love. :) If I had met him at an earlier time, I don't think it would have worked.

Give it time. Forgive yourself for the things that led you to the sad, untrusting-in-love place. Work on accepting yourself, and your history, your flaws and your strengths. It won't happen before you're ready.

Best of luck.

:)
    Amy
  • Devildriverlover
    Options
    I completely think so but i think you have believe it does. I was married for 12 years to a great person. We still are best friends to this day. It takes two to fight and only one to realize there is a problem and how you choose to deal with it.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Just looking for opinions here (I am not looking for an argument or anything), but do you think "true love" exists or just a fairytale?? I will be totally honest...I get very jealous when I see happy couples walking around because I am in the middle of a divorce. A divorce that needs to be done not just for the safety of myself but my babies, but it is still heart-breaking nevertheless because "dreams" have gone down the tubes. You won't understand unless you have experienced a divorce. So what is your opinion....
    I have experienced divorce, the ugly kind that ends with an Order of Protection and a Guardian ad Litem for the kid and visitation drop offs and pick ups at the police station. I have to tell you though true love does exist. I found it anyway after the heart ache and pain. You have to be open to it though. Use what you know about what a bad man is like to learn to spot and appreciate a good one. And don't hold what the bad one has done to you against the rest of them. There are some really great men out ther. Good luck. Take time to heal and when you are ready you will find him.
  • CindyAHewitt
    Options
    Just my personal opinion... but it does exist for people who are willing to make it happen. I'm not saying one person. I'm saying that two people who have to be committed to making true love happen. True love is more than a fairy tale. It's a partnership. It's devotion.

Fairy tales aren't real.

True love is.
  • yessiseguy
    yessiseguy Posts: 116
    Options
    I believe it does exist. I see it in the love my 82 yr old (very youthful though)grandparents still feel. My gma was in a hospital bed for 4 months in an induced coma. There was not a single day my gpa was not there THE ENTIRE DAY. Although my parents went through a divorce, i still believe that in my 6 year marriage true love exists. My husband shows me each day that our love will grow. Love in my opinion is not easy bc it needs to be nurtured constantly, but YES it does exist and one day, you will encounter it. Do not lose hope and may this diffucult time end soon. May your heart be healed so thaypt whenyou encounter love, you will be able to recognize it and live it.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    It does! True love, perfect love, does exist.

I have been married and divorced. I have married for wrong reasons, and after my last divorce, swore off women entirely. An earlier response mentioned that the poster swore off relationships and began a rocky, winding road journey of self-acceptance. While I wish I had done that, I didn't, but managed to fall in love anyway.

My "journey" began some years ago, but instead of starting down the path of self-acceptance, I went down the path of self-loathing. She stayed by my side through it all, always loving me when I couldn't love myself. She never gave up on me. I had given up on me, and life. She was still there, loving me. Then, the miracle happened. God graced me with His mercy and His hand pulled me out of the pit of depression and self-hatred. He believed in me, even when I didn't believe in Him. God showed me what true love was all about, and made me recognize that my beautiful wife, who stood by my side, was Truly in Love with me. I am TRULY in Love with her also.

We have grown closer in the past 6 months than we had in the previous 13 years. Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for bringing her into my life. I thank God for his grace and mercy each day also, and I can, without a doubt, say that my beautiful wife is my soulmate, and I am hers. When we met, I didn't believe in God or soulmates. When we married, I didn't believe in God or soulmates. When I was ready to give up on life, I didn't believe in soulmates, and I HATED the very idea of a "god".

When He saved me from myself, all of that changed. There is no one on this planet that I would rather spend my days with than my sweet wife. Yes, maintaining a relationship takes work, communication, compromise, and devotion. But it is TRULY a labor of LOVE. It took me a while,and several tries, but I FINALLY got it right.

One of my sisters, on the other hand, got it right from the start. I have only seen the kind of love and devotion that they have for each other in one other couple, and that was my parents. I think THEIR children will agree.
  • Papalov100
    Papalov100 Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting on my true love he is out there somewhere
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I think true love exists but it is nothing like a fairy tale! I found mine when i was 16... almost 23 years later and it's still pretty amazing. It takes work, no one is perfect. There have been ups and downs, that's normal but ultimately when two people care about the each others happiness above their own, are able to be honest with each other, and have the same opinions about all the major stuff... you can work through pretty much anything. I do believe there are lines that absolutely can't be crossed... abuse (of any kind) and cheating are reasons to walk away (or run!!).

I think a lot of relationships end because people aren't willing to do the work to keep them going or because people jump headfirst into very shallow relationships with someone who doesn't share their core values (you cannot change people!). Just my opinion though!
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Divorced 13 years. Remarried 2 weeks. I have known my husband 6 months today. On out very first date I loved him, after our second date I told my mom I was going to marry him. I believe God gave me him. He is the most kind, caring, loving, adoring smart husband and father I know. I had a couple of relationships that awhile (one 7 years another 3 years) and I never wanted to marry them, nor were they around my children. Not the case with my love, he met my kids a few weeks in.
    One of the things that will make this work is that we can talk about anything. We are honest with each other and didn't try to be someone we are not. It will be work but anything worth having is worth working for.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    True love is a creation of Hollywood and Hallmark. I'd believe in Santa, Bigfoot and The Easter Bunny before I'd believe in true love.

129865_o.gif
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have been in 3 serious relationships. The first was my first love, it took me a while, I mean years, but I finally got over that one, the second I thought I truely loved him... Until that is that I found the one I am suppose to be with, who makes me laugh, smile, makes my heart flutter. you might not know what I am talking about, or that the hurt from the divorce will every end... Trust me when I say it will once you find the right person. When you TRUELY fall in love, true love, you will forget everything else...

I believe it exists..
  • QUEENPINKSPARKLE1965
    QUEENPINKSPARKLE1965 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Im thinking no way jose.. just never was in my deck of cards in life:drinker: