How much are you deadlifting?

Options

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Who is this new guy?

No idea, but I really hope he does not decide to give me his 'feedback'.

reading the feedback gave me a headache.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    GordonWayneWatts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    (partial quote here for space)
    The serious lifters in here know what they're talking about. If you have any real interest in any of this, then I'd suggesting reading more and stop posting.
    I am friends with a good many world-record holders (and some who are close to world-record status) -both in real life an online -and while my form is not perfect, by the time I got to this progress vid, most if not all had good things to say about both my form and my knowledge of powerlifting -- so, if you think I'm wrong, then I'm all ears as to what exactly I'm "wrong about."
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Powerlifting is Squat, Bench, Deadlift.

Show me a meet where they let you 'deadlift' the bar an inch and a half and count it and I'll concede that you can call your video a powerlifting progress vid. Once again, it doesn't matter.

Being short doesn't make you better at deadlifting, body mechanics do. Having longer arms gives you a mechanical advantage, for example. Simply being short does not. Even then though, there's a lot at play that go into what your lift will be. Ed Coan was 5'6 220 and pulled over 900. Andy Bolton was 6' 350 and pulled over 1000. You can't look at just those two stats and be able to tell what someone should or shouldn't be able to do. It's elitist (which you have no claim to) and obnoxious to do so.
    Some of my lifts in the vid *are* legal PL lifts (though not all are, since I wanted to find out how strong I *really* am at moving a weight over a given, specific, distance, comparable to other lifters moving the weight over the same distance; you've followed mt arguments in this thread, right?) Andy Bolton not only weighed a lot, and trained a lot, but he may very well have had a huge reach -- it all adds up, and in any event, he's an excellent lifter, but just how excellent, when compared to another pro, who knows -unless you factor in the distance to move it -- it's not accurate to pretend 2 lifters are "different" in actual strength when, say, the only difference is that one's a lot closer to the weight. (ETA) ** It's not "obnoxious" to say this -- it's accurate.

...what? What are you even talking about? How excellent when compared to another pro?

I picked arguably the greatest powerlifter of all time (Coan) and the first person credited with a 1k+ deadlift (Bolton) in competition. These are not men you 'compare against another pro', they're firmly in the grouping of greatest lifters of all time. When you start talking about best ever, obviously people's selections are going to vary, but if you don't have Coan and Bolton up there in your ranking you probably don't know what you're talking about. Your statement isn't only inaccurate, it underlines your lack of knowledge in the area.

You claimed your 635 lb lift was a powerlifting progress video. It's not. Period.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    The serious lifters in here know what they're talking about. If you have any real interest in any of this, then I'd suggesting reading more and stop posting.
    I am friends with a good many world-record holders (and some who are close to world-record status) -both in real life an online -and while my form is not perfect, by the time I got to this progress vid, most if not all had good things to say about both my form and my knowledge of powerlifting -- so, if you think I'm wrong, then I'm all ears as to what exactly I'm "wrong about."

Names or I don't believe you.

I'm friends with a good many billionaires who say I have solid business acumen. You should buy into this bridge I have to sell you.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    ...what? What are you even talking about? How excellent when compared to another pro?

I picked arguably the greatest powerlifter of all time (Coan) and the first person credited with a 1k+ deadlift (Bolton) in competition. These are not men you 'compare against another pro', they're firmly in the grouping of greatest lifters of all time. When you start talking about best ever, obviously people's selections are going to vary, but if you don't have Coan and Bolton up there in your ranking you probably don't know what you're talking about. Your statement isn't only inaccurate, it underlines your lack of knowledge in the area.

You claimed your 635 lb lift was a powerlifting progress video. It's not. Period.
    of course I recognise their names as some of the world's greatest powerlifters, but when comparing ANY two lifters (and these are some of the greatest), to find actual strength (as compared with a legal lift) you would need to know the distance of the range of motion. Work = Force x Distance: This is basic physics! Range of motion = distance, hello?
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

of course I recognise their names as some of the world's greatest powerlifters, but when comparing ANY two lifters (and these are some of the greatest), to find actual strength (as compared with a legal lift) you would need to know the distance of the range of motion. Work = Force x Distance: This is basic physics! Range of motion = distance, hello?

Yes...but some people are capable of more work than others.

You don't train to make your arms longer or your legs shorter.

Once again, there's MUCH more to lifting than that.

QED - that's Latin for 'you're out of your league, I'd say quit while you're ahead but it's too late for that now'

ETA: Even going with your point...that would make your 635 lb lift...worth about 27 lbs
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    What is deadlifting?
  • timesinfinityplus2
    timesinfinityplus2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for a couple months and am currently at 5 reps @ 225 and it is pretty easy. Not sure what my 1RM is, yet. When I was in High School I was on the all-time Wall of Fame doing 405 when I was 17. Maybe I'll get there again someday.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    that skinny guy re-racking weights is so funny!
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Also still waiting on the world record holders.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    What is deadlifting?

Raising the dead.

75b008accbd4537ba80b3f00de78143c-overly-attached-zombie.jpg
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

I'm friends with a good many billionaires who say I have solid business acumen. You should buy into this bridge I have to sell you.

Iffem_shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options

Aw, hell, I knew you'd ask...

OK, #1 - my friend, April Mathis is on my Facebook friend's list: She is in fact the World's Strongest Woman -- in all areas: She thinks my form is OK, if not perfect. (Can we trust the world's strongest woman)

#2 - Eric Cressey, while not a world-record-holder IS quite close to it, and he caught me yanking or jerking the weight in an older video-not this one (which could snap my arms or tendons), so I corrected this by THIS video.

#3: Nia Shanks is a WRH in the SPF, admittedly, a smaller federation, and her lifts are not as good as some other lifters in other federations, but she (also on my Facebook, but don't harass her, k?) coached me when I got back into lifting, and by now, I think she has given me a positive review, as I recall her most recent email replies.

(ETA: I bought lifting plans from both Eric C and Nia S, and got smarter as a result.)

#4: I did email (or was it a Facebook post) Vince Anello, when after another lifter (I shall keeep him nameless out of respect) said my form was bad but didn't give me specifics -- Vince said I was OK... I made a screen shot of this (and others as well)

#5: My friend, Deb Callahan, who temporarily held a WR in the bench (325 @ 132) is the owner of Deb's Gym here in Lakeland (between Tampa & Orlando), and SHE says my form is alright (I did ask her after the other cat had something negative to say)... You can email her if you don't believe... better yet, I might find a screen shot of her reply (on her Facebook)...

I asked a good many MORE professional powerlifters, but as another wise poster has said: Sometimes it's not worth the argument... OK, by the time you see this post, all these lifters' replies should be in this folder:

http://GordonWayneWatts/powerlifters-feedback

you can see for yourself & make your own decisions, but don't harass my friend here -if u wanna ask them if they really wrote or said what I claim, that's alright, but don't harass them.

PS: This was about an OLD vid -- I've gotten better on my form since. :bigsmile:

ETA: There were more lifters (note the numbering system used), but I got kind of tired and merely listed just these for summary.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    5'4" female, 133 lbs. Last month I was lifting 135 3 sets of 5. Since then, my hip bursitis has flared up and now I can barely get 135 off the ground for 1 rep. :sad: I'm going to keep on building and eventually 135 will be my down weight and something else will be my hips are feeling good weight lol. My orthopedist has said it's absolutely fine for me to deadlift but that I have to be aware that it might cause inflammation and pain in my bursae lol
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    It is: some (even if not all) the lifts are legal PL lifts -- the rack pull is both a good 'assistance' lift and a good 'test of strength' in its own right -- like the Yoke Carry (where you can adjust the height of the Yoke), the rack pull is adjusted so the ROM (range of motion) is equal for all lifters --why's that any less important than, say, a 'regular' lift?
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    p_funk_076.jpg

yolked.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    Also still waiting on the world record holders.
    There were so many of my friends in that category, that I was rather slow documenting and uploading their comments & feedback, but by the time you see my reply here, my citing of sources should be in a post above:

Seeing as they agree with me on most (if not all) points -even back when they were commenting on my 320/585 vid (an older vid with worse form), it should be obvious that my 635/710 vid (the one under discussion) is much better -and now that puts me in their league: If you disagree with me, then you disagree with all of us, many pros included -- oh, really?
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    0 lbs, back injury, who da maccck n0www
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    5'4" female, 133 lbs. Last month I was lifting 135 3 sets of 5. Since then, my hip bursitis has flared up and now I can barely get 135 off the ground for 1 rep. :sad: I'm going to keep on building and eventually 135 will be my down weight and something else will be my hips are feeling good weight lol. My orthopedist has said it's absolutely fine for me to deadlift but that I have to be aware that it might cause inflammation and pain in my bursae lol
    sorry to hear, NJ -- see this link:

http://www.google.com/#fp=aae3bcc417c03f0c&q=bursitis+vegan

For a more detailed info on this, see the links in my profile dealing with cancer: The remedies applied there also may help your condition. Get well soon.
  • Wienerbua
    Options
    Male, 43 years old, weigh about 170. When I deadlift, I usually do 2 sets of 3 to 5 reps of between 250 to 300 lbs. Eventually I would like to work up to a double bodyweight deadlift.