How much are you deadlifting?

Options

Replies

• GordonWayneWatts
    GordonWayneWatts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    OK, 5 reps of 265 imply a 302.895-pound 1-rep max (and 5 sets of this imply a slightly larger 1rm), compared to my "legal" DL of 295-lbs.

But (just for giggles and the sake of argument), let's say that your 1RM was only, say, 290 (compared to my 295), but let's say also that you didn't have long arms like that one cat at my gym (and you pulled from a HUGE deficit), do you think I could beat you in a fight?

Oh, really?

I would certainly put of a good fight (if I had no choice to fight), but in actual truth, if you would pull 290 over a huge deficit, this would be SOLID proof that you were indeed STRONGER than me (and I would be wise to run - heck, although I'm a warrior at heart -read: KLINGON(*) - nonetheless, in actual common sense, it's always good to NOT fight: "Wars not make one great."(#)

(*) Star Trek: Klingons, a warrior race
    (#) "Wars not make one great." this quote is attributed to YODA of Star Wars fame
    So, which is greater/stronger: Star TREK or Star WARS... but I diverge.

In conclusion, this comparison of legal lifts is simply not logical($), as it is not an accurate way of measuring real strength: You would win such a fight -- do you disagree with my logic and calculations?

($) See "Spock" of Star Trek Fame - note: Trek cited twice - Trek wins!

1. I wouldn't fight you. Suvlu'taHvIS yapbe' HoS neH

2. Yes, I just threw a Klingon saying at you IN Klingon (transliterated of course, since pIqaD isn't supported by these forums.

3. Do NOT try to throw down using Trek - your mixture of Klingon and Vulcan quotes with a sprinkling of Star Wars is about as awesome as your lifting form.

1. Here's a translation: Klingon proverbs - Wikiquote
    en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Klingon_proverbs‎
    Brute strength is not the most important asset in a fight. Klingon (CSUR) ((:; tlhIngan Hol: Suvlu'taHvIS yapbe' HoS neH))

I agree ; I would not either (if I could avoid it), but as a "thought experiment" to solve problems, it it appropriate, useful -and thus logical.

2.-3. - no comment.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting since April.

5'4" 123 lbs
    eta: female

1RM- 150 lbs
    For reps-- 125 lbs x 7

As for Gordan-- unsolicited advice is rude in my opinion. If a person starts a topic about a problem in the forums, then yes they are asking for advice and should be prepared to receive it. If someone just posts stats without asking a question then no, they are not asking for advice and you're going to raise hackles if you offer yours.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    **GWW**

Are you for real dude ???????? I think maybe you fell and hit your head on a stack of plates man .......:huh:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Having done a bit of krav maga and often being paired with a light female, certainly strength does make a good bit of difference - you need a good bit better technique to overcame a large deficit in strength, while often a lack of technique could be made up by a big difference in strength.
    But a small difference in strength and technique seems much more useful.

I'd suggest this is the same for most areas in life, apart from actually just picking up heavy stuff.
    The light person splitting logs that knows what they are doing is still going to do better than the strong person that doesn't.

Have to admit, though, despite an offer on my full-size 20kg discs, I ended up keeping them (lucky, as my new set never arrived), partly because all the others are smaller, which means deadlifts from lower down and thus probably less weight :).
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options

5'4" 123 lbs

1RM- 150 lbs
    For reps-- 125 lbs x 7

As for Gordan-- unsolicited advice is rude in my opinion. If a person starts a topic about a problem in the forums, then yes they are asking for advice and should be prepared to receive it. If someone just posts stats without asking a question then no, they are not asking for advice and you're going to raise hackles if you offer yours.
    None of the many posters to whom I offered advice complained.

What I said about unsolicited advice earlier seems correct: In most "public" forums, where there is a topic, if one poster makes a post, and doesn't specifically say otherwise, it's "fair game" (and actually usually preferred) if others give advice or feedback -so long as, for example, the reply is not insulting or demeaning. (None of my comments were, but I do admit I was a little bit hot-headed when defending myself against baseless accusations. -- I practice what I preach: I've never told other posters to "shut up" or that I didn't value their feedback: I've replied to most or all, agreeing in part, dissenting in part -and this is the norm, which most people accept.)

now, on a personal Facebook, that's a little different: If the wall owner doesn't specifically say it's OK to reply to another poster, it is sometimes a little less accepted -- but this is a public wall, is it not, LiftHeavy??
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    This thread has made my day..popcorn anyone?

I'd like to address GordonWayneWatts, in terms of your height"disadvantage". You do realise that the average height for a male is 5'9, right? This is not exceptionally tall. Even if it was, it would not count for or against you in a powerlifting competition (whether or not you think it should is irrelevant)

You cannot compare lifting off 3" blocks, to someone who is 3" shorter, lifting without blocks. It's completely different. We have wilks calculations to get as close to comparing people with different stats as possible. This doesn't account for height, it's just one of those things.

Lastly, giving advice is great and all that, but most people don't appreciate it unless they ask for it, or their form suggests they are in danger of hurting themselves. I know this may seem odd to you since you learnt a lot from other people, but this thread is about stating the weight you lift, not asking for advice.

Going back to the original topic. My deadlift max last time I checked was 110kg / 242lbs. [Full ROM, not off blocks] Female, 5'8 and 140lbs. I'm happy with this and how I've progressed.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    http://youtu.be/E9_Vbm-eTbc

220kgx5 at 85kg BW last week

That was bad *kitten* man !!!!
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    This thread has made my day..popcorn anyone?

I'd like to address GordonWayneWatts, in terms of your height"disadvantage". You do realise that the average height for a male is 5'9, right? This is not exceptionally tall. Even if it was, it would not count for or against you in a powerlifting competition (whether or not you think it should is irrelevant)

You cannot compare lifting off 3" blocks, to someone who is 3" shorter, lifting without blocks. It's completely different. We have wilks calculations to get as close to comparing people with different stats as possible. This doesn't account for height, it's just one of those things.

Lastly, giving advice is great and all that, but most people don't appreciate it unless they ask for it, or their form suggests they are in danger of hurting themselves. I know this may seem odd to you since you learnt a lot from other people, but this thread is about stating the weight you lift, not asking for advice.

Going back to the original topic. My deadlift max last time I checked was 110kg / 242lbs. [Full ROM, not off blocks] Female, 5'8 and 140lbs. I'm happy with this and how I've progressed.
    You should be proud of yourself -but, at the same time, realise that life is tough -and push yourself to be tougher.

Yes, the average height for men is indeed 5'9", but MANY lifters (both men and woman) are shorter than me -and even still, many shorter lifters have a comparably long reach.

Also, yes, in a competition, I would not have a legal lift if it were on the blocks -and while powerlifting is one worthy goal, actual strength is yet another:

To use your example, if I put the weights on a 1" block (or, if conversely, *you* stood on blocks to make your height 5'9"), then we'd both be pulling over the same distance --but, that is, of course, if you had a fairly long reach like me. (I don't know, but this is just an example, for the sake of argument.)

While the deadlift is only one lift, and doesn't measure all the body's strength, nonetheless, if uses probably more muscles than any other lift out there. So, if you had to compete for a physical job (or if, God forbid, you had to fight some crazy bloke who was attacking, robbing, or assaulting you), then ACTUAL strength (not what Mr. Wilkes might say) would be the important factor, would it not?

Besides, we are all humans, and rightly or wrongly, Heidi, we sometimes all have better self-esteem if we are doing better -and by that, I mean, actually doing better. But even when we can not, we must trust our Creator in our own way, a topic beyond the scope of this board (so I won't clarify there in detail), but I mention it for perspective -and hope.

Lastly, whether or not it is right to tie self-esteem or happiness to progress or actual strength, nonetheless, is it still not a useful metric by which we might gauge our performance -and let us make more well-informed decisions in life? (And, does it not make you feel better when you accomplish a real accomplishment of, say, actual strength? Can I be faulted for wanting to know my actual strengths and weaknesses?)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    A woman out lifts a dude and he argues with her about the lifts not being comparable, and wants special consideration in his favor?

I'm confused.

The ONLY answer is this case is "wow, great job!" and to then walk away and kick puppies until you feel your T surge again*

Period. End of story.

Moral of the story: There are some very strong women out there. Get used to it. :flowerforyou:

* Don't send hate mail. I'm obviously joking. And don't sic PETA on me. :angry:
    ETA: Wait! Unless it's those tiger striped girls. Then please, sic away . . .
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

5'4" 123 lbs

1RM- 150 lbs
    For reps-- 125 lbs x 7

What I said about unsolicited advice earlier seems correct: In most "public" forums, where there is a topic, if one poster makes a post, and doesn't specifically say otherwise, it's "fair game" (and actually usually preferred) if others give advice or feedback -so long as, for example, the reply is not insulting or demeaning. (None of my comments were, but I do admit I was a little bit hot-headed when defending myself against baseless accusations. -- I practice what I preach: I've never told other posters to "shut up" or that I didn't value their feedback: I've replied to most or all, agreeing in part, dissenting in part -and this is the norm, which most people accept.)

now, on a personal Facebook, that's a little different: If the wall owner doesn't specifically say it's OK to reply to another poster, it is sometimes a little less accepted -- but this is a public wall, is it not, LiftHeavy??

I'm just letting you know that many people will not appreciate your approach because it's considered poor etiquette to offer advice where none was wanted. You seem confused about why people got their hackles up at you; this is why.

It is public and you're welcome to post whatever you like, as long as it doesn't break the terms of service. Just as we can't control what you post, you can't control what reaction people are going to have.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Screw it I'm sending this guy a friend request he brings the LOLS.

All aspiring trolls should watch and learn
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    **GWW**

Are you for real dude ???????? I think maybe you fell and hit your head on a stack of plates man .......:huh:

my thoughts exactly.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    A woman out lifts a dude and he argues with her about the lifts not being comparable, and wants special consideration in his favor?

I'm confused.

and this ^^^^
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Awwwwwkward.

I just can't.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options

I'm confused.

The ONLY answer is this case is "wow, great job!" and to then walk away and kick puppies until you feel your T surge again*

Period. End of story.

Moral of the story: There are some very strong women out there. Get used to it. :flowerforyou:

* Don't send hate mail. I'm obviously joking. And don't sic PETA on me. :angry:
    ETA: Wait! Unless it's those tiger striped girls. Then please, sic away . . .
    Ok, ok, ... you've made your point -- I'll let my 710-lb lift in my progress video (linked in my profile) speak for itself -- yes, I'm not the strongest person around - both men and women sometime out-lift me - but does that mean we shouldn't look at actual facts (as opposed to merely what, for example, Mr. Wilkes says)? Should we quite give up?
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options

5'4" 123 lbs

1RM- 150 lbs
    For reps-- 125 lbs x 7

I'm just letting you know that many people will not appreciate your approach because it's considered poor etiquette to offer advice where none was wanted. You seem confused about why people got their hackles up at you; this is why.

It is public and you're welcome to post whatever you like, as long as it doesn't break the terms of service. Just as we can't control what you post, you can't control what reaction people are going to have.
    Maybe I underestimated how easily offended, or thin-skinned, some people can be -and maybe your advice is good. (Even if I'm right, maybe it's not worth the argument.)

But I am right: actual strength is more important, in real life, what what the Wilkes formula says: After all, if you're getting beat up in a fight, and 2 cops are thinking of showing up to help you (but the dispatcher says only 1 is available), which cop are you going to be more likely to want to help you? The one with the higher "Wilkes" score, or rather, the 1 who can actually lift more weight over a given distance? Do tell...
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    **GWW**

my thoughts exactly.
    Naw... I'm just a Figment of yr imagination. He heh...:devil:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    5-10 34year old male 173 pounds 300# ...

I could probably do more but been working on form ..was up to 375# but that was with bad form, was lucky I did not hurt my back :(
  • holly273
    holly273 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'7, 138lb 19 year old girl, and I only started deadlifting about 2-3 months ago.

I started from 45lbs to get form down, and progressed to 120lbs by about 2 weeks ago (so within about 2 months of starting). Then I had a session with my boyfriend's professional powerlifting trainer, and within the hour, just from him honing my form, specific to my own physiology, increased my working weight by 40lbs, so i'm now lifting 160lbs!

You can probably lift a LOT more than you think! (though that doesn't mean rush off and lift more than you're used to unsupervised - you could get injured!)
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    M / 57 yrs / 5' 7" / BW: 137 lb / DL: 240 lb. - 1x5