How much are you deadlifting?

Options

Replies

• Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Deadlifting,How not to do it or any other lift in this video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8ekHA4OU_E

Be weary of GordonWayneWatts advice, watch the video if unsure. Make your own decision.
    "We report; You decide" :glasses:
    I have decided and imagine any one who watches your video will come to the same conclusions. But I reiterate...
    @GordonWayneWatts-Come on you have to admit your PR's in your video are bogus, considering your form is so bad that the lifts you are attempting in the video barely resemble well the lifts you are attempting.

Now you may try and counter this with referencing your height,weight,arm or leg length but I have seen people with similar proportions do all of these lifts with correct form.(Well the actual lifts, not the noodle dance you are doing in the video)

Your lifts are cheat lifts and sadly if you keep that terrible form you are going to injure yourself, would hate to be your gym as you are a insurance nightmare.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    GordonWayneWatts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Delude yourself all you want, but the video speaks for itself, and I am talking about more than the deads.

And yes, it is bad protocol to come into a thread like this...a fact that you already acknowledged, or are you going back on what you admitted to earlier?

ETA: fwiw, you did just get depth on your 205lb squat imo
    I don't recall admitting I did anything amiss, except for possibly being too talkative... which I may have done. And, yes, I did just barely get depth on that vid, but remember, Sara, as I'm a taller person, my femur bones, the lever-arm of the squat, are probably longer, and this affects the amount one can lift, all other things being equal:

It's just not fair to say I'm "weaker" if I have a leverage disadvantage. One way to correct that might be to change the range of motion to decrease it slightly (since, of course, lifters with shorter legs move the weight over a shorter distance). I never have made corrections for range of motion in the squat, but you're giving me good ideas. :smile: I want to know how strong I "really" am, after all.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    BTW Mr Time Traveler, this has NOTHING to do with how much weight someone can lift even though you decided to go down that route. How much someone can lift =/= their knowledge on form or training.
    The amount one can lift is affected by A NUMBER of things, including (but not limited to)
    knowledge
    applied technique
    height
    weight
    reach
    level of training
    injuries / illnesses
    and even mood and attitude.

What's your point? You want me to feel sorry for you or give you special breaks because you're a woman (you make an excellent point about testosterone and Wilkes earlier)? -- I'm not going to attempt to insult you because of what you can (or can't) lift, but I also don't intend to be a pity party: If we are to get stronger, we must push ourselves!

While, on the one hand, we must not beat-up ourselves for being weaker than the next lifter (all of us are weaker than someone else, at one lift or another), I SURE won't think I'm "weaker" when I actually am stronger on a given point -- it's not about insulting anyone, but rather about the competitive nature of the spirit, and about encouraging one's self to see the good in himself/herself (and by extension, to see the good in others: after all, if we don't love ourselves or *help* ourselves, how can we help others in need?).

My point, is what I stated.

And don't be ridiculous, of course I do not want you to feel sorry for me because I am a woman. I was making the point that you trying to compare your lifts to mine and finagle a way of saying you are stronger is ludicrous, especially when not taking gender into account.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I seem to be late to this argument, in which I'm not going to participate, because I just want to answer the question originally posted because yesterday I managed 3x5x165lbs deadlifts. I'm female, 5'6" and weigh 145lbs.

Yep, this here is my show-off post.

Cheers
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    Hello Gordonwaynewatts,

I would like to throw my 2 penneth into this wonderful discourse. I appears you may be new here on myfitnesspal and possible the internet as a whole. I would like to congratulate you on still having the desire to lift weights at the age of 60 plus but more so for listing the weights in your youtube video in both KG and stones for british viewers. A courtesy not extended by most of these American heathens, it is nice to see some people have respect for the Queen. I would however strongly suggest you seek the services of a qualified strength a conditioning coach. You seem to be quite strong but your training appears to be a mix of poorly performed partial range movements.

If this has offended you, or anyone else here is a picture of a cat to make up for it.

6a3bb0827ac2.jpg

Hope that helps.

>^^..^^< "Meow"

Translation: It's all good, old chap.! :bigsmile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Delude yourself all you want, but the video speaks for itself, and I am talking about more than the deads.

And yes, it is bad protocol to come into a thread like this...a fact that you already acknowledged, or are you going back on what you admitted to earlier?

ETA: fwiw, you did just get depth on your 205lb squat imo
    I don't recall admitting I did anything amiss, except for possibly being too talkative... which I may have done. And, yes, I did just barely get depth on that vid, but remember, Sara, as I'm a taller person, my femur bones, the lever-arm of the squat, are probably longer, and this affects the amount one can lift, all other things being equal:

It's just not fair to say I'm "weaker" if I have a leverage disadvantage. One way to correct that might be to change the range of motion to decrease it slightly (since, of course, lifters with shorter legs move the weight over a shorter distance). I never have made corrections for range of motion in the squat, but you're giving me good ideas. :smile: I want to know how strong I "really" am, after all.

OMG - I say you get depth and you still want to debate...

I am not sure what you are on about regarding the rest as that was not what I was even referring to.

You change your ROM for bench...by adding like 6 inches of blocks. Yeah, seems legit. You rack pull 1inch off the bars and call that legit...I can go on, but it's late.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    @GordonWayneWatts-Come on you have to admit your PR's in your video are bogus, considering your form is so bad that the lifts you are attempting in the video barely resemble well the lifts you are attempting.

Now you may try and counter this with referencing your height,weight,arm or leg length but I have seen people with similar proportions do all of these lifts with correct form.(Well the actual lifts, not the noodle dance you are doing in the video)

Your lifts are cheat lifts and sadly if you keep that terrible form you are going to injure yourself, would hate to be your gym as you are a insurance nightmare.
    Not all my lifts: some are legal lifts -- and I *do* lift from a height disadvantage that doesn't plague some other lifters.

(Admittedly, there are lifter my height and taller who can actually lift more in the deadlift or squat --and, there are lifter with a longer reach who can out-bench me as well, LOL, but I do try to be competitive, when I can afford the time and energy: it's the only way to get better!)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Not all my lifts: some are legal lifts -- and I *do* lift from a height disadvantage that doesn't plague some other lifters.

(Admittedly, there are lifter my height and taller who can actually lift more in the deadlift or squat --and, there are lifter with a longer reach who can out-bench me as well, LOL, but I do try to be competitive, when I can afford the time and energy: it's the only way to get better!)

Question: you say you are 3" taller than me, or did I get that wrong?
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    Have you heard of testosterone?

ETA: the male/female and weight thing is what the wilks-coefficient is for.
    Well, yes, that's ONE of the things it corrects.

Two actually.
    Eh? The Wilkes formula corrects for gender (based on the differing hormonal balance in women vs men) - that's only one thing that gives you any case for an argument. But it also corrects for weight - I guess that's what you meant when you said "2 things" --actually, there are (I think?) Wilkes corrections for differing age-groups (that would be 3)

-- it doesn't correct for heights or other biometrics (length of limbs, etc.), but it should. While you ARE indeed strong for a woman, your actual strength is ABSOLUTE, not relative. You are only as strong as you are.

My correction for height/ROM etc., is a correction that shows ones ACTUAL strength (over a given range of motion) : think about that.: smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Have you heard of testosterone?

ETA: the male/female and weight thing is what the wilks-coefficient is for.
    Well, yes, that's ONE of the things it corrects.

Two actually.
    Eh? The Wilkes formula corrects for gender (based on the differing hormonal balance in women vs men) - that's only one thing that gives you any case for an argument. But it also corrects for weight - I guess that's what you meant when you said "2 things" --actually, there are (I think?) Wilkes corrections for differing age-groups (that would be 3)

-- it doesn't correct for heights or other biometrics (length of limbs, etc.), but it should. While you ARE indeed strong for a woman, your actual strength is ABSOLUTE, not relative. You are only as strong as you are.

My correction for height/ROM etc., is a correction that shows ones ACTUAL strength (over a given range of motion) : think about that.: smile:

Yes..two things. And yes, you have made your attempted point re height, incessantly.

And no, your does not. Yours just lifts the weight off the ground by quite a few inches.

ETA: men v women is not just hormonal you know!
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    You have NO knowledge or technique. It's us that feels sorry for you because in the end you will severely injure yourself.

Thx 4 yr 2 cent's worth, Mc, but:

To reprise the excellent point that Sara made, I trust the feedback, analyses, and advice of people I've known and trust than that of total strangers. While not all of the criticism I have gotten here has been totally wrong, I think my technique and form are more along the lines of what my many powerlifting friends that I've known has said, and less along the lines of what I've heard tonight from a few people.

If you folk would spend as much time WORKING OUT as you do arguing, you'd make mighty good progress! (or at least a bit more than what is the case now) -- in fact, I may become "less talkative" for my own health, as my advice to you is as good for me too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You have NO knowledge or technique. It's us that feels sorry for you because in the end you will severely injure yourself.

Thx 4 yr 2 cent's worth, Mc, but:

To reprise the excellent point that Sara made, I trust the feedback, analyses, and advice of people I've known and trust than that of total strangers. While not all of the criticism I have gotten here has been totally wrong, I think my technique and form are more along the lines of what my many powerlifting friends that I've known has said, and less along the lines of what I've heard tonight from a few people.

If you folk would spend as much time WORKING OUT as you do arguing, you'd make mighty good progress! (or at least a bit more than what is the case now) -- in fact, I may become "less talkative" for my own health, as my advice to you is as good for me too.

Ironic post is ironic.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I thought we were going to get back to time travel...
  • Ophidion
    Options

Maybe you did not read my post will reiterate "Now you may try and counter this with referencing your height,weight,arm or leg length but I have seen people with similar proportions do all of these lifts with correct form."

Now there are lifters who have significant height issues but I have read about form adjustments to deal with said issues and they are NOT what is being done in your videos...your lifts are cheat lifts and terrible form.

Your height does not justify your lack of correct form or false PR's.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options

And don't be ridiculous, of course I do not want you to feel sorry for me because I am a woman. I was making the point that you trying to compare your lifts to mine and finagle a way of saying you are stronger is ludicrous, especially when not taking gender into account.

Well, you're correct: I took into account all other factors except gender:

If I had taken that into account, then my analysis would have said you're only "super strong" when compared to other women, but in the real world, we compete for positions that require physical strength with BOTH genders: The armed forces and many jobs, for example, don't cut you a break here because you're a woman: If you can only lift A-B-and-C weight, so be it.

Now, range of motion, on the other hand, tells us how strong a person *really* is -- that is a valid correction: After all, when looking at lifter-A (who was reeeal short) and lifter-B (who was much taller, and could lift MORE over the same range of motion, but markedly less when, effectively "standing on a stilts" (his legs) or standing on a box (for deficit deadlifts), who do you think would win in a competition of any sort based on pure strength? (Hint: In real life, a person doing a job that required a lot of heavy lifting *would * be allowed to change the height of the starting platform if he/she were to work there, in many cases.)
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    I seem to be late to this argument, in which I'm not going to participate, because I just want to answer the question originally posted because yesterday I managed 3x5x165lbs deadlifts. I'm female, 5'6" and weigh 145lbs.

Cheers
    With no disrespect meant to the other lifters who are participating, I think you are wise to avoid non-lifting conversation. (Maybe you are a wise example for others to follow?)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Well, you're correct: I took into account all other factors except gender:

If I had taken that into account, then my analysis would have said you're only "super strong" when compared to other women, but in the real world, we compete for positions that require physical strength with BOTH genders: The armed forces and many jobs, for example, don't cut you a break here because you're a woman: If you can only lift A-B-and-C weight, so be it.

Now, range of motion, on the other hand, tells us how strong a person *really* is -- that is a valid correction: After all, when looking at lifter-A (who was reeeal short) and lifter-B (who was much taller, and could lift MORE over the same range of motion, but markedly less when, effectively "standing on a stilts" (his legs) or standing on a box (for deficit deadlifts), who do you think would win in a competition of any sort based on pure strength? (Hint: In real life, a person doing a job that required a lot of heavy lifting *would * be allowed to change the height of the starting platform if he/she were to work there, in many cases.)

You do not get it at all. I do not care whether you or anyone else thinks I am strong. That has NOTHING to do with it.

ETA: you did not answer my earlier question...how tall are you?

Also, the armed forces have different requirements vis a vis men and women btw.
  • Ophidion
    Options
    I thought we were going to get back to time travel...
    I know as time travel is of much more significance to me, why waste your time talking about deadlifts when we could be unlocking the secrets of the universe.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    OMG - I say you get depth and you still want to debate...

I am not sure what you are on about regarding the rest as that was not what I was even referring to.

You change your ROM for bench...by adding like 6 inches of blocks. Yeah, seems legit. You rack pull 1inch off the bars and call that legit...I can go on, but it's late.
    But, don't you want to know how strong you *really* are?...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Cheers
    With no disrespect meant to the other lifters who are participating, I think you are wise to avoid non-lifting conversation. (Maybe you are a wise example for others to follow?)

Yes, yes indeed.