• Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting since April.

5'4" 123 lbs
    eta: female

1RM- 150 lbs
    For reps-- 125 lbs x 7

As for Gordan-- unsolicited advice is rude in my opinion. If a person starts a topic about a problem in the forums, then yes they are asking for advice and should be prepared to receive it. If someone just posts stats without asking a question then no, they are not asking for advice and you're going to raise hackles if you offer yours.
    None of the many posters to whom I offered advice complained.

What I said about unsolicited advice earlier seems correct: In most "public" forums, where there is a topic, if one poster makes a post, and doesn't specifically say otherwise, it's "fair game" (and actually usually preferred) if others give advice or feedback -so long as, for example, the reply is not insulting or demeaning. (None of my comments were, but I do admit I was a little bit hot-headed when defending myself against baseless accusations. -- I practice what I preach: I've never told other posters to "shut up" or that I didn't value their feedback: I've replied to most or all, agreeing in part, dissenting in part -and this is the norm, which most people accept.)

now, on a personal Facebook, that's a little different: If the wall owner doesn't specifically say it's OK to reply to another poster, it is sometimes a little less accepted -- but this is a public wall, is it not, LiftHeavy??

I'm just letting you know that many people will not appreciate your approach because it's considered poor etiquette to offer advice where none was wanted. You seem confused about why people got their hackles up at you; this is why.

It is public and you're welcome to post whatever you like, as long as it doesn't break the terms of service. Just as we can't control what you post, you can't control what reaction people are going to have.
    Maybe I underestimated how easily offended, or thin-skinned, some people can be -and maybe your advice is good. (Even if I'm right, maybe it's not worth the argument.)

But I am right: actual strength is more important, in real life, what what the Wilkes formula says: After all, if you're getting beat up in a fight, and 2 cops are thinking of showing up to help you (but the dispatcher says only 1 is available), which cop are you going to be more likely to want to help you? The one with the higher "Wilkes" score, or rather, the 1 who can actually lift more weight over a given distance? Do tell...

The one with a taser, and/or gun.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    GordonWayneWatts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Maybe I underestimated how easily offended, or thin-skinned, some people can be -and maybe your advice is good. (Even if I'm right, maybe it's not worth the argument.)

But I am right: actual strength is more important, in real life, what what the Wilkes formula says: After all, if you're getting beat up in a fight, and 2 cops are thinking of showing up to help you (but the dispatcher says only 1 is available), which cop are you going to be more likely to want to help you? The one with the higher "Wilkes" score, or rather, the 1 who can actually lift more weight over a given distance? Do tell...

This is classic! :smokin:

("Corrected to edit" & put my quote below his -and not misquote LOL)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    back on topic....

Female, 5'1", weight 137lb, lean body mass around 102-107lb

deadlift PB = 180lb x 4

current working weight is 175lb (deloaded to work on form)

that's with a few months decent lifting experience... I'm on week 10 of stronglifts... before that I spent too long faffing around with too light weights and bodybuilder routines that were for intermediate lifters not beginners, and getting nowhere much with them. Anyone who's serious about lifting don't make this mistake... get on a decent beginners programme right away and eat properly.... I've doubled the amount I can deadilft since I started stronglifts, and intend to get much stronger.......... also I;m switching from stronglifts to Starting Strength, because a) I have power cleans envy* lol and b) it has a ton of stuff on form etc that stronglifts doesn't have

*not that I've got anything against pendlay rows I can always add them in again at some point in the future
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    **GWW**

Are you for real dude ???????? I think maybe you fell and hit your head on a stack of plates man .......:huh:

my thoughts exactly.
    Naw... I'm just a Figment of yr imagination. He heh...:devil:

are you gaslighting me you... you gaslighter...?

:huh: :cry: *there's no crazy smiley face on here*
    Just being humourous & having a little fun, on my honour! :happy:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    A woman out lifts a dude and he argues with her about the lifts not being comparable, and wants special consideration in his favor?

I'm confused.

The ONLY answer is this case is "wow, great job!" and to then walk away and kick puppies until you feel your T surge again*

Period. End of story.

Moral of the story: There are some very strong women out there. Get used to it. :flowerforyou:

* Don't send hate mail. I'm obviously joking. And don't sic PETA on me. :angry:
    ETA: Wait! Unless it's those tiger striped girls. Then please, sic away . . .
    Ok, ok, ... you've made your point -- I'll let my 710-lb lift in my progress video (linked in my profile) speak for itself -- yes, I'm not the strongest person around - both men and women sometime out-lift me - but does that mean we shouldn't look at actual facts (as opposed to merely what, for example, Mr. Wilkes says)? Should we quite give up?

some people just aren't worth the strikes
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    **GWW**

Are you for real dude ???????? I think maybe you fell and hit your head on a stack of plates man .......:huh:

my thoughts exactly.
    Naw... I'm just a Figment of yr imagination. He heh...:devil:

are you gaslighting me you... you gaslighter...?

:huh: :cry: *there's no crazy smiley face on here*
    Just being humourous & having a little fun, on my honour! :happy:

Your website is humorous. Is that hosted on Geocities? WTF is that?

LMAO
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

5'4" 123 lbs

1RM- 150 lbs
    For reps-- 125 lbs x 7

As for Gordan-- unsolicited advice is rude in my opinion. If a person starts a topic about a problem in the forums, then yes they are asking for advice and should be prepared to receive it. If someone just posts stats without asking a question then no, they are not asking for advice and you're going to raise hackles if you offer yours.

What I said about unsolicited advice earlier seems correct: In most "public" forums, where there is a topic, if one poster makes a post, and doesn't specifically say otherwise, it's "fair game" (and actually usually preferred) if others give advice or feedback -so long as, for example, the reply is not insulting or demeaning. (None of my comments were, but I do admit I was a little bit hot-headed when defending myself against baseless accusations. -- I practice what I preach: I've never told other posters to "shut up" or that I didn't value their feedback: I've replied to most or all, agreeing in part, dissenting in part -and this is the norm, which most people accept.)

now, on a personal Facebook, that's a little different: If the wall owner doesn't specifically say it's OK to reply to another poster, it is sometimes a little less accepted -- but this is a public wall, is it not, LiftHeavy??

I'm just letting you know that many people will not appreciate your approach because it's considered poor etiquette to offer advice where none was wanted. You seem confused about why people got their hackles up at you; this is why.

It is public and you're welcome to post whatever you like, as long as it doesn't break the terms of service. Just as we can't control what you post, you can't control what reaction people are going to have.

Damn I was going to say the one who knows Krav Maga, you beat me to it. :laugh:

Anyway I wasn't even bothering with the arguing over "actual" strength vs. Wilkes score. I was just commenting on the unsolicited advice part. I defer to Sara and Dave on anything that's actually lifting-related.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Female, 5'5, 23yo, weighL 120, DL: 150lbs :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

5'4" 123 lbs

1RM- 150 lbs
    For reps-- 125 lbs x 7

1) The advice you're giving is wrong in most cases
    2) The stats you're posting for yourself really aren't that impressive, and given no other credentials people really don't have any justifiable reason to listen to you
    3) Giving advice in a thread specifically geared at posting current RMs is silly
    4) Acting like you know everything is a pretty good indicator that you really don't know that much
    5) If you were a cop, I'd probably hope the other option came to help me
    6) DYEL

ETA
    7) Your posted lift isn't a deadlift. That's like me posting my 1440 leg press for 3 sets of 3 as proof that you should listen to my advice on benching (which I'm relatively weak at). It doesn't matter.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    I guess it would probably be good for all parties to chill & relax -and realise that this is just a public board - no one is like threatening anyone -even if they disagree (and actually most folk here do want to be a good neighbour & help others as much as help themselves) And, that's the "bigger picture": we probably ought to not let these things stress us out.

Indeed, some people (or some arguments) just aren't worth the strikes
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    Your website is humorous. Is that hosted on Geocities? WTF is that?

LMAO
    Bravo & thx 4 the kudos & thumbs up, Bro! But, naw, Geocities is like long gone now: I don't know *what* happened to them?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I wan the one that's better at dealing with that sort of situation.
    I suspect strength doesn't play a massive amount in it.

There's not just skill in fighting, skill in fighting with weapons, but skill in defusing a situation peacefully and skill in not deciding I'm the aggressor and beating me up :).
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    2) The stats you're posting for yourself really aren't that impressive, and given no other credentials people really don't have any justifiable reason to listen to you
    3) Giving advice in a thread specifically geared at posting current RMs is silly
    4) Acting like you know everything is a pretty good indicator that you really don't know that much
    6) DYEL

ETA
    7) Your posted lift isn't a deadlift. That's like me posting my 1440 leg press for 3 sets of 3 as proof that you should listen to my advice on benching (which I'm relatively weak at). It doesn't matter.

Responding to point 6: Do I even lift? (Hint: That 635-lbs just didn't levitate from the Deadlift rack by magic pixie dust) :bigsmile: Oh, I see you "edited to add" -- I guess you must've finally saw my powerlifting progress vid, after all.

OK, so I don't know everything, and am not the strongest cat to meow, but I do try... and if my advice or analysis is wrong, I'm "all ears," as Ross Perot (or Dumbo the elephant) might say.

Regarding the other stuff, YMMV (your mileage may vary: everyone's got a different opinion on this, and one person -I won't say who, sent me a private message thanking me for putting all the other trolls on high alert, heh heh... She had to unblock like TEN people just to follow our conversation: What!? Ten of you guys got blocked -- unblocking them was something she said she never did - but then again: To each his own. I may disagree, but I don't plan on blocking anyone -that's overkill IMHO in my honest opinion.

"ETA": One of my lifts IS a legal deadlift -actually, several -- not near as much as the box lift or rack pull, but as I said: Range of motion: Power = Mass over DISTANCE, and range of motion matters. Word.

"Edited to add: part 2": For the record, here is my 710-lb yoke lift and other progress http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8ekHA4OU_E (that's not a lot, at least for a mere lift of a few inched- so I'm not bragging) -- to reprise: I'm:

M/5'9"/123-lbs/ and my deadlifts (all of them) are shown on my video, from the 295-lbs lift from the floor (well, actually the 225-lbs. x 1 (From a 6¼" deficit) to the 635-lb rack pull and the 710-lb Yoke lift... all without straps or jacks or other leverage. Just me and the weight.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    I wan the one that's better at dealing with that sort of situation.
    I suspect strength doesn't play a massive amount in it.

There's not just skill in fighting, skill in fighting with weapons, but skill in defusing a situation peacefully and skill in not deciding I'm the aggressor and beating me up :).
    Yes, you're right, these matter; but strength is not insignificant in some situations.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    INteresting.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 weighing in at 137 and a dl 175 for 3. Can't wait to get into the 200 club!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    6) DYEL

ETA

Responding to point 6: Do I even lift? (Hint: That 635-lbs just didn't levitate from the Deadlift rack by magic pixie dust) :bigsmile: Oh, I see you "edited to add" -- I guess you must've finally saw my powerlifting progress vid, after all.

OK, so I don't know everything, and am not the strongest cat to meow, but I do try... and if my advice or analysis is wrong, I'm "all ears," as Ross Perot (or Dumbo the elephant) might say.

Regarding the other stuff, YMMV (your mileage may vary: everyone's got a different opinion on this, and one person -I won't say who, sent me pa private message thanking me for putting all the other trolls on high alert, heh heh... She had to unblock like TEN people just to follow our conversation: What!? Ten of you guys got blocked -- unblocking them was something she said she never did - but then again: To each his own. I may disagree, but I don't plan on blocking anyone -that's overkill IMHO in my honest opinion.

Powerlifting is Squat, Bench, Deadlift.

Show me a meet where they let you 'deadlift' the bar an inch and a half and count it and I'll concede that you can call your video a powerlifting progress vid. Once again, it doesn't matter.

Being short doesn't make you better at deadlifting, body mechanics do. Having longer arms gives you a mechanical advantage, for example. Simply being short does not. Even then though, there's a lot at play that go into what your lift will be. Ed Coan was 5'6 220 and pulled over 900. Andy Bolton was 6' 350 and pulled over 1000. You can't look at just those two stats and be able to tell what someone should or shouldn't be able to do. It's elitist (which you have no claim to) and obnoxious to do so.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

backtothefuture1-3.JPG
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    Powerlifting is Squat, Bench, Deadlift.

Show me a meet where they let you 'deadlift' the bar an inch and a half and count it and I'll concede that you can call your video a powerlifting progress vid. Once again, it doesn't matter.

Being short doesn't make you better at deadlifting, body mechanics do. Having longer arms gives you a mechanical advantage, for example. Simply being short does not. Even then though, there's a lot at play that go into what your lift will be. Ed Coan was 5'6 220 and pulled over 900. Andy Bolton was 6' 350 and pulled over 1000. You can't look at just those two stats and be able to tell what someone should or shouldn't be able to do. It's elitist (which you have no claim to) and obnoxious to do so.
    Some of my lifts in the vid *are* legal PL lifts (though not all are, since I wanted to find out how strong I *really* am at moving a weight over a given, specific, distance, comparable to other lifters moving the weight over the same distance; you've followed mt arguments in this thread, right?) Andy Bolton not only weighed a lot, and trained a lot, but he may very well have had a huge reach -- it all adds up, and in any event, he's an excellent lifter, but just how excellent, when compared to another pro, who knows -unless you factor in the distance to move it -- it's not accurate to pretend 2 lifters are "different" in actual strength when, say, the only difference is that one's a lot closer to the weight. (ETA) ** It's not "obnoxious" to say this -- it's accurate.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I guess it would probably be good for all parties to chill & relax -and realise that this is just a public board - no one is like threatening anyone -even if they disagree (and actually most folk here do want to be a good neighbour & help others as much as help themselves) And, that's the "bigger picture": we probably ought to not let these things stress us out.

Indeed, some people (or some arguments) just aren't worth the strikes

Certainly no threats and not even sure why you would say that. The issue comes with your highjacking this thread, posting the video, and just continuing with this line of . . . not sure what to even call it. smh

You clearly are getting the attention you wanted though so my guess is that is exactly it. A bit of trolling and attention seeking? But I don't get it at all.

The serious lifters in here know what they're talking about. If you have any real interest in any of this, then I'd suggesting reading more and stop posting.