How much are you deadlifting?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I totally only caught the last tail end of the other one- so I missed 3/4 of the epic-iness.

But for the actual question...

Of the Wominzy Variety
    5'9"
    160 (ish- sometimes less- sometimes more)
    pulling around 265 at the top of my pyramid but haven't one rep maxed in a while though.
    Hoping to hit 300 in a few weeks/months!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Hai guise. Lets arm wrestle to see who can squat more!

My boyfriend uses similar romantic propositions.

Stop telling people our business!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    In for belly buttons.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    IN for more... whatever the hell this is.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    For fun today because I never have deadlifted outside of BodyPump I deadlifted 90 pounds with no problem at all. FOr some strange reason a bar had 50 on it so I just loaded 40 more on it just to see if I could. I am curious how much I can lift. For a woman at 5' 9 - what should I be lifting?

As others have said there are many factors that go into how much someone "should" be lifting.

Here is a site that gives kind of a guideline though.
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    5'4"/female/123 lbs; deadlifting 95.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    42 yearr old female, 5'0", weigh 149 pounds. My last dead lift was 185.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'4"
    Weight: 155lbs
    DL: 135lbs @ 5x5
    Don't know my 1RM.
    Started lifting last month.

Note: Would like to avoid unsolicited advise from know nothings with exceedingly entertaining videos despite the resulting hilarity that follows.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I totally only caught the last tail end of the other one- so I missed 3/4 of the epic-iness.

Of the Wominzy Variety
    5'9"
    pulling around 265 at the top of my pyramid but haven't one rep maxed in a while though.

wut? I'm feeling like a weakling now! My grip fails at 270, and I won't wrap it.
  • grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    For fun today because I never have deadlifted outside of BodyPump I deadlifted 90 pounds with no problem at all. FOr some strange reason a bar had 50 on it so I just loaded 40 more on it just to see if I could. I am curious how much I can lift. For a woman at 5' 9 - what should I be lifting?

As others have said there are many factors that go into how much someone "should" be lifting.

Here is a site that gives kind of a guideline though.
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

Ok, according to the standards I'm a novice. I'll take novice since I've only been lifting for 12 weeks
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Of the Wominzy Variety
    5'9"

wut? I'm feeling like a weakling now! My grip fails at 270, and I won't wrap it.

18_baby_stork.gif
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Of the Wominzy Variety
    5'9"

18_baby_stork.gif

like a sailor.
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Male - 6'4" - 190 lbs - DL 335x6 which projects out to 389

I feel at a disadvantage because of my height. Is it wrong for me to feel better in a wider stance?
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Just started: Male 24, 6'1", 182 lbs. Max I have done so far is 155x8.

But, I was using HORRIBLE form (though it was better than GWW, probably. It certainly wasn't any worse), ended up hurting my back. Back is starting to feel better, I will be trying again with better form on Friday or Saturday.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    There's some good videos on you tube of Mark Rippetoe teaching deadlift, including explaining how things like the back angle can be different in different people depending on their limb proportions. So if you have really long legs you won't necessarily deadlift the same way as someone with short legs.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    My best from a long time ago was 1 x 385.
    My best from about a month ago before I started stronglifts was 1 x 255.
    I have been doing Stronglifts now for 4 weeks and my last session was 5 x195.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    There's some good videos on you tube of Mark Rippetoe teaching deadlift, including explaining how things like the back angle can be different in different people depending on their limb proportions. So if you have really long legs you won't necessarily deadlift the same way as someone with short legs.

Yeah, the day I injured myself I took videos of my form, because I knew I was doing something wrong, and sent them to my cousin. He is the one who really taught me a lot about compound lifts, and he is about the same height/weight as I am. He looked at the vids and told me what I was doing wrong. Very helpful.
  • grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Got any links?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    This is going to be a good series to watch.

http://youtu.be/xS2wLZSdeDg
    http://youtu.be/ksnAyxoF9v4
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I've got some questions for you. Are you male/female? Height/Weight? How much can you deadlift? I am currently f/5'6/200lbs and I'm deadlifting 90lbs. I want to lift heavier but how much heavier?

Male
    5'4"
    265 for 15