How much are you deadlifting?

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's been mentioned yet or not, because who can get a word in edgewise? - but I like turtles.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    No. Your form is BETTER than before.

Not good.

Which is what the feedback from your 'friend' April also says.
    If you look closely, you'll see that April's comment (as all the others) was on the 320-lb vid, not the current 710-lb vid. (which I think had better form).

http://GordonWayneWatts.com/powerlifters-feedback

And if YOU looked closely, you'll see that your form is STILL NOT good.

Rather than looking at your own video over and over, maybe you should study the form of people who lift with good form, and maybe you should try putting into practice what they say.

Like not adding more weight until you can lock out the lift.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Not good.

If you look closely, you'll see that April's comment (as all the others) was on the 320-lb vid, not the current 710-lb vid. (which I think had better form).

But you implied that these critiques were validation of your form, and by such verification of your giving others advice. In reality, they pointed out your form problems, which you claim to have corrected, yet fail to provide the same level of critique of your current form.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    1RM 175 lbs. I hate deadlifts. I know... against the grain.

ETA: Oh yeah... F/5'7"/160 lbs with stupid long legs. Gotta sumo.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    385. I'm hoping to get 405, next time I go for my one rep max
  • GordonWayneWatts
    GordonWayneWatts Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Not good.

But you implied that these critiques were validation of your form, and by such verification of your giving others advice. In reality, they pointed out your form problems, which you claim to have corrected, yet fail to provide the same level of critique of your current form.
    Well, April said that my 320 deadlift (an older video) was better than most others (even before that) -- and so, while not perfect, I was "OK" in those older vids -- the 710-vid (the current one) is (I think) an improvement even more so than the 320. (I.e., I don't think I've gone backwards in form.)

But, if you think I'm not locking out my deadlifts -and/or yanking the weight -and/or rounding my back --well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder: The YouTube video in question is listed in my MFP profile, for any that care to look, if you will - it is a "before & after" progress video.

I do have a strong critique of my form: I'm not as strong as I'd like to be - but I am trying (when I have time to lift and money for the monthly gym membership -not always the case).

Furthermore, while I was not injured, I did "strain" myself once when I did like a HUNDRED "heavy" deadlifts within the span of just a few days -- "heavy" means > 200-lbs for any variant of the DL - be it blocks, floor, or deficit - this strain took about a month to heal, and some non-anabolic (cortical) steroidal anti-inflammatory meds (decadron and prednisone, to be exact, was what my doctor prescribed) --so, yes, I do come down pretty hard on myself in self-critique:

Reader beware: Doing what I did can be dangerous! (If you MUST do a 100 reps, make sure and do LOW weights -and rest -and listen to your body -and eat & sleep a lot!)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I me I me I me

I CAN'T HELP IT I LIKE TURTLES.

Geez CMR let someone else have a turn to talk!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I me I me I me

I CAN'T HELP IT I LIKE TURTLES.
    funny-animal-gifs-jedi-turtles.gif
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You're the worst character ever, Towelie

250px-508_towelie.gif
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Thank you, Joy.

tumblr_lry9q5huY11qd27hvo1_500.gif

((((HUG))) - yeah. He prolly doesn't deadlift. At. All. ^^
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Joy.

tumblr_lry9q5huY11qd27hvo1_500.gif

((((HUG))) - yeah. He prolly doesn't deadlift. At. All. ^^

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Male - 6'4" - 190 lbs - DL 335x6 which projects out to 389

I feel at a disadvantage because of my height. Is it wrong for me to feel better in a wider stance?

Apparently it is fine for you to dead off 18" inch blocks and still call it a deadlift.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    OMFG...still feeling the need to make comments on everyone's stats....why am I not surprised.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... beetlejuice!
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Not good.

Well, April said that my 320 deadlift (an older video) was better than most others (even before that) -- and so, while not perfect, I was "OK" in those older vids -- the 710-vid (the current one) is (I think) an improvement even more so than the 320. (I.e., I don't think I've gone backwards in form.)

But, if you think I'm not locking out my deadlifts -and/or yanking the weight -and/or rounding my back --well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder: The YouTube video in question is listed in my MFP profile, for any that care to look, if you will - it is a "before & after" progress video.

I do have a strong critique of my form: I'm not as strong as I'd like to be - but I am trying (when I have time to lift and money for the monthly gym membership -not always the case).

Furthermore, while I was not injured, I did "strain" myself once when I did like a HUNDRED "heavy" deadlifts within the span of just a few days -- "heavy" means > 200-lbs for any variant of the DL - be it blocks, floor, or deficit - this strain took about a month to heal, and some non-anabolic (cortical) steroidal anti-inflammatory meds (decadron and prednisone, to be exact, was what my doctor prescribed) --so, yes, I do come down pretty hard on myself in self-critique:

Reader beware: Doing what I did can be dangerous! (If you MUST do a 100 reps, make sure and do LOW weights -and rest -and listen to your body -and eat & sleep a lot!)

That in no way was a response to my post, but good try. And your 710, which you love to cite, likely for ego purposes, is NOT a dead lift.
  • cmriverside
    Options

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg

Happy Birthday, SARA.

See what I did there? Like so many things.

mind-blown-gif.gif

it's on.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Will part 2 be as entertaining as part 1?????

Bumpidibump

Sadly, probably not - even *before* I noticed that the topic was locked, my superiour officers in my personal circle (which 'circle' is a topic beyond the scope of this thread) have suggested that I not answer any other "off-topic" questions in this (or any other) thread, but, instead, invite anyone with "off-topic" questions to come and post either on my blog http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/GordonWayneWatts or my profile --

REASONING: Recently, there were a few complaints about some posts that were off-topic on one thread, and, out of respect for the other community member, I have now instituted the "Gordon Rule" in order to help reduce the chance I (or anybody else) accidentally offend anyone: If u want 2 post off-topic stuff, you are welcome to post on my blog, linked above, (not on the boards) so the message boards stay "on-topic" :-) Gordon

I promise to not delete any comments (unless they are patently offensive to others; I am not easily offended).

:-) :smile:

PS: Now that the prior (originator) board was locked, that confirms my suspicions that my decision to follow the suggestion of High Command here was a correct one. Any future "off-topic" questions will be answered with an invitation to my blog, board, or some other place.

/smh

It was not locked - it reached the max 500 posts for a thread and rolled.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Male - 6'4" - 190 lbs - DL 335x6 which projects out to 389

I feel at a disadvantage because of my height. Is it wrong for me to feel better in a wider stance?
    I usually do better with a sumo stance, since I'm a bit tall. (Oddly enough my 1RM for the floor DL is 295 conventional but only 285 sumo, but I feel this will change if I get back in the gym more regularly: The sumo, while hard on the hips due to the "gymnastics split" physics, lets you get closer to the bar, so it is preferred for taller lifters in many cases, especially if you've got real short arms.) Stats: M/120-lbs/5'9"

PS: It is always good to train both conv. and sumo -- and do a little deficit dead-lifting too for variety. Good luck, here.

Where do you get that 5 9" is tall?

The average height for a guy in the US is 5' 9 1/2".
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Will part 2 be as entertaining as part 1?????

Bumpidibump

Sadly, probably not - even *before* I noticed that the topic was locked, my superiour officers in my personal circle (which 'circle' is a topic beyond the scope of this thread) have suggested that I not answer any other "off-topic" questions in this (or any other) thread, but, instead, invite anyone with "off-topic" questions to come and post either on my blog http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/GordonWayneWatts or my profile --

REASONING: Recently, there were a few complaints about some posts that were off-topic on one thread, and, out of respect for the other community member, I have now instituted the "Gordon Rule" in order to help reduce the chance I (or anybody else) accidentally offend anyone: If u want 2 post off-topic stuff, you are welcome to post on my blog, linked above, (not on the boards) so the message boards stay "on-topic" :-) Gordon

I promise to not delete any comments (unless they are patently offensive to others; I am not easily offended).

:-) :smile:

PS: Now that the prior (originator) board was locked, that confirms my suspicions that my decision to follow the suggestion of High Command here was a correct one. Any future "off-topic" questions will be answered with an invitation to my blog, board, or some other place.

Do you even MFP brah?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    6'3"
    210 lbs

I'm at 355lbs, but having problems gaining because of a joint disease that is also effecting my tendons in my shoulder/elbow/hands. My hands are about half strength right now and finding it hard to hold the weight.

Not sure if this has been mentioned by our resident expert, but have you tried straps or is that not a good idea with your medical issues?
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    1RM 175 lbs. I hate deadlifts. I know... against the grain.

ETA: Oh yeah... F/5'7"/160 lbs with stupid long legs. Gotta sumo.

I have long legs too and have to sumo as well!