How much are you deadlifting?

Options

Replies

• GordonWayneWatts
    GordonWayneWatts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just started: Male 24, 6'1", 182 lbs. Max I have done so far is 155x8.

But, I was using HORRIBLE form (though it was better than GWW, probably. It certainly wasn't any worse), ended up hurting my back. Back is starting to feel better, I will be trying again with better form on Friday or Saturday.

GWW sez.... 155 x 8 reps implies about a 193.75-lbs one rep max -- not bad - especially for a real tall lifter, but I feel you can get stronger if you train hard and eat & sleep a lot. Don't forget to deload once every 4 or 5 weeks if you train real heavy.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Male - 6'4" - 190 lbs - DL 335x6 which projects out to 389

I feel at a disadvantage because of my height. Is it wrong for me to feel better in a wider stance?
    I usually do better with a sumo stance, since I'm a bit tall. (Oddly enough my 1RM for the floor DL is 295 conventional but only 285 sumo, but I feel this will change if I get back in the gym more regularly: The sumo, while hard on the hips due to the "gymnastics split" physics, lets you get closer to the bar, so it is preferred for taller lifters in many cases, especially if you've got real short arms.) Stats: M/120-lbs/5'9"

PS: It is always good to train both conv. and sumo -- and do a little deficit dead-lifting too for variety. Good luck, here.

By what standard are you determining that 5'9" is tall? I am 5'9", and have never been thought of as tall.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    I missed all the fun. This was a fun recap though:
    gordonwaynewatts.com/powerlifters-feedback
    Quacktastic!

MY EYES! MY EYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYESSSSSSSSS!

Funny thing is that feedback actually PROVES that his form is bad....basically going with everything Sara was saying

Correct -WAS bad in this vid: "320 lb deadlift + 585 lb rack pull @ 120-lb bodyweight (DeadliftDay.wmv)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oseUEhVPSKE

Corrected form (much better) in THIS subsequent (follow-up) vid: "Powerlifting-Before & After: featuring a 635-lb RackPull & 710-lb Yoke lift at 120-lb. bodyweight"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8ekHA4OU_E

PS: Other 'cool' stuff lives on my YouTube channel :):smile:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I feel at a disadvantage because of my height. Is it wrong for me to feel better in a wider stance?
    I usually do better with a sumo stance, since I'm a bit tall. (Oddly enough my 1RM for the floor DL is 295 conventional but only 285 sumo, but I feel this will change if I get back in the gym more regularly: The sumo, while hard on the hips due to the "gymnastics split" physics, lets you get closer to the bar, so it is preferred for taller lifters in many cases, especially if you've got real short arms.) Stats: M/120-lbs/5'9"

PS: It is always good to train both conv. and sumo -- and do a little deficit dead-lifting too for variety. Good luck, here.

By what standard are you determining that 5'9" is tall? I am 5'9", and have never been thought of as tall.

I'm 5'10" and definitely not tall.

But we have an expert dispensing deadlift advice so sssssshhhhhhh!!!!!! Let's all listen . . .
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Quacktastic!

Funny thing is that feedback actually PROVES that his form is bad....basically going with everything Sara was saying

Correct -WAS bad in this vid: "320 lb deadlift + 585 lb rack pull @ 120-lb bodyweight (DeadliftDay.wmv)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oseUEhVPSKE

Corrected form (much better) in THIS subsequent (follow-up) vid: "Powerlifting-Before & After: featuring a 635-lb RackPull & 710-lb Yoke lift at 120-lb. bodyweight"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8ekHA4OU_E

PS: Other 'cool' stuff lives on my YouTube channel :):smile:

This+isn+t+really+relative+now+is+it+_f55abf8507569c2f7ceb79e79de6d755.gif
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    Quacktastic!

I went to see the feedback last night, but it wasn't up yet.

So what April is saying is that GWW's form IS BETTER than before, but still needs work, also, start lifting from the floor for deads, and lower the rack for rack-pulls.

The second set of feedback says 'You aren't locking out on your deads, you need to start doing that'.

I don't see how that can be construed as 'Hey friend, you lift with good form'.

Re: "I went to see the feedback last night, but it wasn't up yet. "

The old thread is here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/545499-how-much-are-you-deadlifting?page=20

It was either locked because of abuse of off-topic rules or, perhaps because it hit the 20-page limit (if such a limit exists - I don't know?)

Re: your other comment -- you are correct: my form WAS somewhat poor in that vid, but this was an older vid from a while back - my newer vid shows better form (see my prior replies for links to both)
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options

My opinion is relative -- but I am thinking about MY weight class, the 123's -- in that class, practically NOBODY is 5'9" or taller.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    In, cuz 3/4 of MFP is in, LOL…

F/156#/5’7" 1x5 @ 150 (got injured in June and working my way back up. ;) )
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    The thread title is How Much Are You Deadlifting?

not

some random guy please come in and comment on every other post.
    now, now -- I've stopped defending myself (with one exception to a poster who didn't see that I had 2 lifting videos and made progress on my form) -- but if and when a poster asks for feedback (and several did), it IS ok to politely and briefly answer with feedback and assistance. :glasses:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The thread title is How Much Are You Deadlifting?

not

some random guy please come in and comment on every other post.

:drinker:
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options

But we have an expert dispensing deadlift advice so sssssshhhhhhh!!!!!! Let's all listen . . .
    (Actually, it *is* tall for the 123-lb weight class - my weight class - most in my class are shooort! Migits almost, indeed.!)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Quacktastic!

I went to see the feedback last night, but it wasn't up yet.

So what April is saying is that GWW's form IS BETTER than before, but still needs work, also, start lifting from the floor for deads, and lower the rack for rack-pulls.

The second set of feedback says 'You aren't locking out on your deads, you need to start doing that'.

I don't see how that can be construed as 'Hey friend, you lift with good form'.

Re: "I went to see the feedback last night, but it wasn't up yet. "

The old thread is here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/545499-how-much-are-you-deadlifting?page=20

It was either locked because of abuse of off-topic rules or, perhaps because it hit the 20-page limit (if such a limit exists - I don't know?)

Re: your other comment -- you are correct: my form WAS somewhat poor in that vid, but this was an older vid from a while back - my newer vid shows better form (see my prior replies for links to both)

No. Your form is BETTER than before.

Not good.

Which is what the feedback from your 'friend' April also says.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    6'3"
    210 lbs

I'm at 355lbs, but having problems gaining because of a joint disease that is also effecting my tendons in my shoulder/elbow/hands. My hands are about half strength right now and finding it hard to hold the weight.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

(Actually, it *is* tall for the 123-lb weight class - my weight class - most in my class are shooort! Migits almost, indeed.!)

Then eat more, listen to advice about your form, grow, and improve your lifts.

Basically, what you're saying is that you are so thin that the only people in your weight class are "little people" (using the preferred term). That's not good, brah. Not good at all. You should be focusing on taking care of yourself.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

a more accurate take away is you may be too thin for your height. And bragging about form critiques from highly respected pros is a poorly veiled attempt at self validation.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    In again. I guess. SMH
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    No. Your form is BETTER than before.

Not good.

Which is what the feedback from your 'friend' April also says.
    If you look closely, you'll see that April's comment (as all the others) was on the 320-lb vid, not the current 710-lb vid. (which I think had better form).

http://GordonWayneWatts.com/powerlifters-feedback
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options

Then eat more, listen to advice about your form, grow, and improve your lifts.

Basically, what you're saying is that you are so thin that the only people in your weight class are "little people" (using the preferred term). That's not good, brah. Not good at all. You should be focusing on taking care of yourself.

Thx 4 the advice -- well-intended -and good -- but actually, you need not worry: I eat like a horse - and yet don't gain weight.

(But, I find that I'm stronger when I stuff my face with food - and I feel better too -not to mention the food tastes great!)
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options

a more accurate take away is you may be too thin for your height. And bragging about form critiques from highly respected pros is a poorly veiled attempt at self validation.
    I'm not the strongest person around, and so I'm not bragging - but using accurate measuring standards is always best to get to the actual facts -and not mere opinions - when I look into the mirror, I want to see an accurate picture - Truth Seeker - not bragging. :glasses:
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options

Once again, thx 4 the advice, but as we've discussed earlier, I'd prefer to keep this thread to either "how much can you lift" or short and polite answers to lifters asking for help with their programme -- it's not all about me --- if anyone wants to chat with me, feel free to come on over to either:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/GordonWayneWatts

or

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/GordonWayneWatts

or even my personal webpages and YouTube and Facebook -really, I won't bite. (I've got a good sense of humour and am not easily offended: But, for the sake of World Peace, ok?, -- let's leave this thread to the topic at hand.) :glasses: