How much are you deadlifting?

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    There's some good videos on you tube of Mark Rippetoe teaching deadlift, including explaining how things like the back angle can be different in different people depending on their limb proportions. So if you have really long legs you won't necessarily deadlift the same way as someone with short legs.

Got any links?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht363HslwnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vue17RjRhwM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu3-64C7JEY

Or just put "Rippetoe deadlift" into you tube search and you'll come up with loads
  • grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    There's some good videos on you tube of Mark Rippetoe teaching deadlift, including explaining how things like the back angle can be different in different people depending on their limb proportions. So if you have really long legs you won't necessarily deadlift the same way as someone with short legs.

Got any links?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht363HslwnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vue17RjRhwM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu3-64C7JEY

Or just put "Rippetoe deadlift" into you tube search and you'll come up with loads

awesome thanks :)
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

j2tla.gif

I'm PRETTY sure that's gonna be my kid in 2 or 3 years.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

j2tla.gif

I'm PRETTY sure that's gonna be my kid in 2 or 3 years.

I just hope when he deadlifts your hubby that you put it on youtube!!!! :laugh:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    j2tla.gif
    I am dying of cuteness and awesomeness!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    just under 5'1"
    130ish lbs
    female

PR is 185 lbs. That was a glorious feeling. I only did 2 reps but it was great.
    Today: I did 2x15 at 95 lbs.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    just under 5'1"
    130ish lbs
    female

PR is 185 lbs. That was a glorious feeling.
    That's really great! I also want to go on record as saying that I hate doing 15 deadlifts. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat! :laugh:
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    just under 5'1"
    130ish lbs
    female

PR is 185 lbs. That was a glorious feeling.
    That's really great! I also want to go on record as saying that I hate doing 15 deadlifts. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat! :laugh:

I only did 2 reps at 185. Right now I'm working through the NROL4W now that I don't have a trainer.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    IN to time travel back to the previous thread and delete all the derp.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I weigh 184 lbs and my 1RM is 425 lbs.
    My last working set was 6 x 365 lbs.
    This is going to be a good series to watch.

http://youtu.be/xS2wLZSdeDg
    http://youtu.be/ksnAyxoF9v4

It FINALLY gets released. Been waiting for this a long while. Thanks for the heads up.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I missed all the fun. This was a fun recap though:
    gordonwaynewatts.com/powerlifters-feedback
    Quacktastic!

Oh, and in the sake of keeping on topic

5'9" male
    155 lbs (or so, havent weighed in a while)
    last deadlift 225lbs

Yeah, a ways to go, maybe I need to email some experts
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Quacktastic!

MY EYES! MY EYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYESSSSSSSSS!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Quacktastic!

Funny thing is that feedback actually PROVES that his form is bad....basically going with everything Sara was saying
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Quacktastic!

Funny thing is that feedback actually PROVES that his form is bad....basically going with everything Sara was saying

I haven't been here long, but I know this much. You better know your shizzz if you plan to take on Sara.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    GordonWayneWatts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Will part 2 be as entertaining as part 1?????

Bumpidibump

Sadly, probably not - even *before* I noticed that the topic was locked, my superiour officers in my personal circle (which 'circle' is a topic beyond the scope of this thread) have suggested that I not answer any other "off-topic" questions in this (or any other) thread, but, instead, invite anyone with "off-topic" questions to come and post either on my blog http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/GordonWayneWatts or my profile --

REASONING: Recently, there were a few complaints about some posts that were off-topic on one thread, and, out of respect for the other community member, I have now instituted the "Gordon Rule" in order to help reduce the chance I (or anybody else) accidentally offend anyone: If u want 2 post off-topic stuff, you are welcome to post on my blog, linked above, (not on the boards) so the message boards stay "on-topic" :-) Gordon

I promise to not delete any comments (unless they are patently offensive to others; I am not easily offended).

:-) :smile:

PS: Now that the prior (originator) board was locked, that confirms my suspicions that my decision to follow the suggestion of High Command here was a correct one. Any future "off-topic" questions will be answered with an invitation to my blog, board, or some other place.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    I'm at 275 (4x6) with having it in my routine for about a month and half. Always had a really strong back and legs so I feel like the number is climbing pretty quickly even though its not exactly decent right now.....not sure if its a good newbie number for the lift or not. I'm calling myself a newbie but it was fixture in my strength training for football around 12 years ago so I'm claiming a clean slate starting out.
    To answer your question, a 275-lb deadlift for 4 sets of 6 is not bad -especially for a newbie (6 reps implies about a 325 1rep max -probably more if you can do this for sets) - but you don't specify your height or weight, so an exact answer is difficult to ascertain

-whatever you lift, if you do your best and steer clear of injury, that is good. Good luck!
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    For fun today because I never have deadlifted outside of BodyPump I deadlifted 90 pounds with no problem at all. FOr some strange reason a bar had 50 on it so I just loaded 40 more on it just to see if I could. I am curious how much I can lift. For a woman at 5' 9 - what should I be lifting?
    If You put had 90-lbs on a bar, the total weight was 135-lbs, since the bar weighs 45-lbs.

You should do work sets with whatever weight you can safely do for about 3 sets of 8, but which is pretty hard to get that 8th rep.

To get stronger, increase the weight on the bar, and decrease the number of reps per set (warm up with light weights before moving to heavy weights) -- and be sure to eat and sleep plenty! Don't worry about getting "bulky" or looking like a man -- many very strong lifters (both men and woman) are quite skinny: I am 5'9" like you (weigh 120-lbs) and have been able to progress from 205-lbs from the floor deadlift 1-repl-max to 295. My progress video's link is listed in my profile, if you're curious, but some (not all) lifters have questioned my form, so do your own research before taking my word as gospel.

To answer your main question: How much you can expect to be able to lift is affected by your bodyweight, how much you've been training, how much you eat & sleep & deal with stress, and also health and injury status -- don't feel bad if you're starting out at a low weight, and do be safe, but train hard, and have fun. :)

ETA (edited to add) if you lift heavy, you will probably have to take a week off once every 4 or 5 weeks (a "deload" if you wanna Google it) where u lift, but only about 50% of your normal weight.

(another ETA: As myself and others have discussed, biometrics -e.g., height and how long your arms are - also all affect range of motion, and leverage -all affecting how hard the deadlift is to start "off the floor" - but, do try your best, and I'm sure you will make progress, no matter your exact situation.)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Quacktastic!

I went to see the feedback last night, but it wasn't up yet.

So what April is saying is that GWW's form IS BETTER than before, but still needs work, also, start lifting from the floor for deads, and lower the rack for rack-pulls.

The second set of feedback says 'You aren't locking out on your deads, you need to start doing that'.

I don't see how that can be construed as 'Hey friend, you lift with good form'.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    I totally only caught the last tail end of the other one- so I missed 3/4 of the epic-iness.

But for the actual question...

Of the Wominzy Variety
    5'9"
    160 (ish- sometimes less- sometimes more)
    pulling around 265 at the top of my pyramid but haven't one rep maxed in a while though.
    Hoping to hit 300 in a few weeks/months!

wut? I'm feeling like a weakling now! My grip fails at 270, and I won't wrap it.
    Use a mixed grip (one hand over and one under) --and if that's not enough, use a "hook grip" (where you lock your thumbs) -- but careful! The hook grip's a bit STRESSFUL on your thumbs. -- I am confident you will have no trouble holing a lot more weight than that if you use the mixed (cross) grip and train hard - let us know if this works.
  • GordonWayneWatts
    Options
    Male - 6'4" - 190 lbs - DL 335x6 which projects out to 389

I feel at a disadvantage because of my height. Is it wrong for me to feel better in a wider stance?
    I usually do better with a sumo stance, since I'm a bit tall. (Oddly enough my 1RM for the floor DL is 295 conventional but only 285 sumo, but I feel this will change if I get back in the gym more regularly: The sumo, while hard on the hips due to the "gymnastics split" physics, lets you get closer to the bar, so it is preferred for taller lifters in many cases, especially if you've got real short arms.) Stats: M/120-lbs/5'9"

PS: It is always good to train both conv. and sumo -- and do a little deficit dead-lifting too for variety. Good luck, here.