Crazy gas prices

Options
12345679»

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I just paid £6.55 per Gallon for unleaded fuel here in the UK. *weeps* (That's £1.44 a litre)

But that is £5.46 per US gallon, as a US gallon is 3.7854118 litres, not 4.54 that you would have used

Ahhh I used the wrong gallon conversion.
  • tkaawa
    tkaawa Posts: 302
    Options
    it's crazy here in Hawaii too. Maui is $4.89 per gal:(

SMH
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options

I drive a 1 litre petrol hyundai amica, it has 5 seats but only 2 normal adults can fit in teh front and two children in teh back, no pushchair or childs car seat can fit its really that tiny. It does 45mph and is 10 years old. A brand new car would be an entires years salary and I cant afford that. so this little car is staying mine until it really does die.

near where I live in teh UK ,every roundabout is getting replaced with traffic lights, most junctions have them too ... joy of wasting fuel, I drive no more than 2 miles before stopping on my journey to work,

Then you're doing the best you can, so thats fine.

I'm talking about the people who drive guzzlers and then complain its so expensive. they want to have their cake and eat it.
    I'm also talking about the people who don't drive economically and then complain. Even with traffic lights and stop signs, you can be on the gas all the way up to them and then brake to a stop, or you can lift off and roll up to them. It's common sense really, but the problem is it is not so common.

My car does about 27MPG around town, about 39-40MPG on my way to work or about 35MPG if I really boot it on my way to work. I knew this when I bought it, if it had been a problem, instead of a supercharged petrol engine, I would have bought an eco diesel engine, but I didn't, so I don't complain about the cost of fueling it.

I installed a gas nozzle on the back of my V8 so that I can spray a little fuel on the not-so-smart cars when I blow them off the interstate. I'm not complaining because I can't afford it. I'm complaining because it's just another racket. Back to the prius, you should see it swerve around like it just lost its doors at 60mph. I don't care if fuel is $10, you won't catch me driving one of those POS. Buy a bike, at least there is some dignity in that.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

I drive a 1 litre petrol hyundai amica, it has 5 seats but only 2 normal adults can fit in teh front and two children in teh back, no pushchair or childs car seat can fit its really that tiny. It does 45mph and is 10 years old. A brand new car would be an entires years salary and I cant afford that. so this little car is staying mine until it really does die.

near where I live in teh UK ,every roundabout is getting replaced with traffic lights, most junctions have them too ... joy of wasting fuel, I drive no more than 2 miles before stopping on my journey to work,

Then you're doing the best you can, so thats fine.

I'm talking about the people who drive guzzlers and then complain its so expensive. they want to have their cake and eat it.
    I'm also talking about the people who don't drive economically and then complain. Even with traffic lights and stop signs, you can be on the gas all the way up to them and then brake to a stop, or you can lift off and roll up to them. It's common sense really, but the problem is it is not so common.

My car does about 27MPG around town, about 39-40MPG on my way to work or about 35MPG if I really boot it on my way to work. I knew this when I bought it, if it had been a problem, instead of a supercharged petrol engine, I would have bought an eco diesel engine, but I didn't, so I don't complain about the cost of fueling it.

I installed a gas nozzle on the back of my V8 so that I can spray a little fuel on the not-so-smart cars when I blow them off the interstate. I'm not complaining because I can't afford it. I'm complaining because it's just another racket. Back to the prius, you should see it swerve around like it just lost its doors at 60mph. I don't care if fuel is $10, you won't catch me driving one of those POS. Buy a bike, at least there is some dignity in that.

Not sure what kind of Prius you've seen or maybe it was just the fumes coming from that gas nozzle you installed. The Prius has a curb weight of over 3000lbs , it's plenty stable at highway speeds.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

By "racket", do you mean "free market"?
    It's a finite resource, with high demand.

Why do you think you deserve cheaper fuel, when the rest of the world is willing to pay more for it?
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky ("lucky"? is that the word?)

-ahem- anyway. I don't have a car, so I don't have to worry about gas prices. I just walk places and occasionally ride my bike.

You're lucky that you're 20 years old and that your life is uncomplicated enough that this sort of lifestyle is still an option for you. :smile:
  • Musikelektronik
    Options
    I installed a gas nozzle on the back of my V8 so that I can spray a little fuel on the not-so-smart cars when I blow them off the interstate.

I love it! I've got a 6-liter V-8 in my SUV. As the old saying goes, I can pass everything but a gas station! :laugh:
  • Musikelektronik
    Options
    I just paid £6.55 per Gallon for unleaded fuel here in the UK. *weeps* (That's £1.44 a litre)

But that is £5.46 per US gallon, as a US gallon is 3.7854118 litres, not 4.54 that you would have used

Ahhh I used the wrong gallon conversion.

Still, £5.46 per US gallon is abhorrent. Isn't that about $10 per gallon?!?
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Today gas prices have gone up in my area, and they are the highest they have EVER been.
    It's absolutely ridiculous. 142.9 cents per liter! Seriously?!?!

suck it up..we pay almost twice that here in the UK, our salaries are 3 times lower and our cars cost 5 times as much.

^^^^^^so agree with this!!
    I paid £1.47 per litre yesterday which is around $2.30, I'd love to have even your 'expensive' gas prices!!!!!

I have a small car with a 1.4 engine which is supposed to be fuel efficient but only does around 30mpg grrrrrrr
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    $4.70+/gallon for regular here (Big Island of Hawaii)
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    In the UK, and the petrol station up the road from me is going for good old fashioned daylight robbery.

Thursday am: 134.9p
    Thursday pm: 138.9p
    Friday am: 138.9p
    Friday pm: 145.9p!

Up 11p per litre in under 48 hours! And the majority of that in less than 12 hours! :noway:

I think my bike is shortly going to be seeing a lot more use, which I suppose is a good thing in a way... lol