What brand of dog food does your dog eat?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• danimarie1782
    danimarie1782 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Blue Seal Natural 26. It's an all natural dog food with no preservatives and no potato in it. She has a very sensitive stomach and is especially sensitive to potatoes - oh the vomit. Found out that a lot of dog foods have potato as their first ingredient - which is why I came home to a pile of dog puke by the back door each day. We found this and haven't had an issue since,
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have two little dogs, a Pom and a Japanese Chin. A few years ago we switched to Rachel Rays and they love it. We also feed them one real meal a day, usually a scrambled egg or tuna, green beans and brown rice.
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have two little dogs, a Pom and a Japanese Chin. A few years ago we switched to Rachel Rays and they love it. We also feed them one real meal a day, usually a scrambled egg or tuna, green beans and brown rice.

I also need to add that they are 10 and 15 years old and VERY healthy. Have never had any health issues of any kind, they are healthy weights, and they are both rescues. They are truly wonderful puppies:heart:
  • SARBelgians
    SARBelgians Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One couch potatoe and 2 working dogs. They are fed raw: veggies, nuts, goat meat, lamb meat, salmon, trout, deer, elk, beef, goat milk, chicken, etc. Healthy, high energy, high drive dogs. Great coats, great teeth, small poos and no odor.

As Search & Rescue dogs, they have to put in a lot of time and energy to find their missing people (search 160 acres of mountainous terrain [Oregon] in 2 hours, off lead). Typically, they put in 3-4X the mileage I do while on area searches.

So, we feed raw while at home and when we are traveling we keep Diamond kibble available just in case....but usually fed raw while on the road as well.

Jillian

15449148.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jwalker30
    jwalker30 Posts: 282
    Options
    Well Its one month till I get my new puppy dog, but I imagine it will be Science Diet or whatever the most pricey dog food since I'm not smart enough to know which one is best
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    My dog gets Iam's, whichever one is the green bag (Adult?). She also gets roasted chicken maybe 4-5 times a week as it is absolutely impossible to eat chicken without her getting some. She gets mozzarella occasionally as well.
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    HATE BENEFUL!!!! I used to work in a pet store where they did extensive nutrition training to us. I feed blue buffalo and I love it!!!!!!
    Totally agree. Blue is too expensive for me but it's a great dog food.

I feed my dogs Diamond Naturals. It's a good quality food and one that I can afford. Blue Wilderness is given 5 stars and Diamond Natuals is rated 4 stars on this site: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/

Beneful is given 1 star.
  • Dare2Believe
    Dare2Believe Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I feed my dog Taste of the Wild. He was on Iams for several months and had horrible problems with his skin. I found out he had an allergy to his food.

In the past I fed my dogs Iams thinking I was doing a good thing buy giving them quality food. All three of them died in a little over a years time from cancer. I later found out that Iams had been shown to cause cancer. This was while researching to see what food I could give my new dog with the severe allergies. I had another dog 4 yrs prior that died of cancer as well and he had been raised on Iams.

Yes, it could be a coincidence that all four of my dogs raised on Iams got cancer, but it's not a chance I want to take in the future.
  • jwalker30
    jwalker30 Posts: 282
    Options
    HATE BENEFUL!!!! I used to work in a pet store where they did extensive nutrition training to us. I feed blue buffalo and I love it!!!!!!
    Totally agree. Blue is too expensive for me but it's a great dog food.

I feed my dogs Diamond Naturals. It's a good quality food and one that I can afford. Both Blue and Diamonds are rated 4 stars on this site: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/ Beneful is given 1 star.

Thanks for that link!

I wonder if 5 star dog food tastes as good as 1 star dog food, since its clearly more healthy, lol
  • Dare2Believe
    Dare2Believe Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This may help you decide.
    http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/

One thing to be careful of though is that some vets get "kickbacks" (can't think of the proper word at the moment) for recommending certain brands of dog food, others have their student loans paid off if they recommend certain brands. This was told to me by someone in the industry. You can take it with a grain of salt as I can't verify that it is true but it is something to consider.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My dogs both large and small eat Life's Abundance. It is formulated by a holistic vet and they thrive on it. They eat less than the other foods, their coats are really healthy. No skin allergies, no itching. It costs $70.00 for a 40# bag including shipping. Most foods have gone to 30 bags but the price has remained the same. Life's Abundance lasts 2 months. The G/S cross is medium size (73#'s) and gets 1 cup morning and night. The Terrier (18 #'s) gets 1/4 cup morning and night. Plus it is shipped to me automatically and doesn't sit around in stores or warehouses. The shipping cost is $7.00. To me it's worth it. I never run out of food and I've compared it to other foods. This has the correct percentage of nutrients.

Diamond foods was getting white rice for their foods from China.:grumble: I don't know where they get it now. Quite a few dog food formulas are made at Diamond's. :frown:

Do a comparison on the internet for Life's Abundance and the other foods. It's actually less expensive to feed.:drinker:
  • IdRatherBeReading
    IdRatherBeReading Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    We have a Great Dane/Doberman mix and my husband did a lot of research before we got him. We only feed Blue Buffalo large breed brand, but would probably go with Kirkland brand from Costco if we had one closer to us (2 hrs to the nearest). We got a bag of Beneful once from Walmart (I think that was the brand) because Petsmart was closed when we remembered we were out and he had stomach issues for days after 2 meals of that. Never again!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    We use Nutro
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I feed mine Bil-Jac....stuff I used to feed show dogs when I worked at a kennel. She hates dry food (eye roll) so I put a little bit of pedigree wet food (meat chunks only) with warm water and mix it up. My cat eats Blue Buffalo because he's strictly indoors and doesn't get much exercise, so I avoid all carbs. I also feed him a little sardine/mackerel/tuna each day as wet food is good for a cat's urinary tract.
  • mohitsarmy
    Options
    www.dogfoodadvisor.com is what I use. You can't go wrong with knowing what is in the food you feed your dog.

We have chosen a 5 star dog food called Orijen.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My golden eats Wellness Core. When I rescued him he had a lot of skin problems so I decided to put him on a grain free diet. He has stopped itching and has a beautiful coat. It is expensive (about $55/bag) but he is a relatively small golden so a 28 lb bag lasts a little over a month. If only I could find something to help with his seasonal allergies.

Check out this sight regarding allergies. Check out her credentials.:drinker:

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/formulas_for_illness.htm

Also wolves and coyotes will eat grass, vegies, and fruit from bushes. Everyone thinks they only eat meat. Not necessarily so.
    My dogs love lettuce, blueberries, apples, carrots, and if you have a dog that likes to eat poop, :grumble: a lot of time they are missing a nutrient. Oh, and my little dog loves bananas.
  • PALady4JC
    PALady4JC Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Check out dogfoodadvisor.com. I print the list of 4 and 5 star foods and take with me when I go shopping. Wheat, corn, soy...all bad stuff for dogs.
  • PALady4JC
    PALady4JC Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If you feed your dog pineapple, they are less likely to eat their poop. It changes something that makes it unappealing to them.