What brand of dog food does your dog eat?

Options

Replies

• stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Dont get me started on the dog food thing lol. My dogs eat Acana, WIld Prairie. I like to know where their ingredients are being sourced from (not China!!) and that they are getting the nutrition they need.

I also recommend dogfoodanalysis.com I also like the book Food Pets Die For, both very informative sources, IMHO.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I would totally feed ours raw if: a) I had room for a chest freezer and b) I didn't have one dog that was very possessive over real meat

ETA: If you do decide to feed raw, you can't give them kibble at the same time, it's digested at a different rate and has the potential to cause bloat...not good - that's for the people considering, those who already feed will already know :-))

Do you mean at the same meal or at all? I feed my dogs kibble for breakfast every day and for dinner every other day. No fear of bloat and if you don't supplement your dogs' food with the correct nutrients (that are already included in the kibble they eat), you can actually make them very, very ill. Since I can't afford to feed them raw full time, I don't supplement their raw feedings with anything because they are getting what they need from their kibble.

Sorry, I meant together in the same meal :-))

That can make sense because raw food has so much more moisture in it.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Our 3 labs get Purina. They are all healthy as can be with beautiful shiney coats
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Wellness is a very good brand.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I used to feed my dog Blue Buffalo, but the vet said it has to much protein. Now I mix together Wellness and Science Diet.
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    My Pomeranian and two chihuahua's love Rachel Ray Nutrish dog food. I used to feed them Benneful and decided to feed them something more natural.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    We started our "son" off with Royal Canin.
    Despite being a poor college student at the time, I didn't even care about the price...but he ended up hating it.

He's a picky eater and eventually we had to settle for Iams Proactive Health (mini chunks, he won't touch regular chunks).
    I like to mix in carrot pulp and a little bit of tuna with it.

The vet is totally fine with this, and she knows we've tried the "fancier foods" too.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I feed them Core Wellness. And they like to supplement their diets with rabbit poo. Blech.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Nothing but BLUE for my Beagle, Baxter. He was on Iam's when I rescued him, but way overweight. BLUE stabilized that and it's the only thing I trust not to puff him back up again. It's funny, he spits the little "nutritional bits" off to the side of his bowl while he's eating and cleans them up last. He's a weirdo.

I have a rescue beagle as well, Louie. He tends to go for the nutritional bits first. Heck, he spits most of his food out and then eats it off of the floor!

I feed my dog Blue and also Rachael Ray's Nutrish.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I feed my dog bacon and cheesy poofs. He likes it.

:happy: :bigsmile:
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    my bullies get beneful and love it.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My dogs eat Beneful as well. I have a 6 yr old Golden/Lab mix, and after trying every "healthy" food on the market, Beneful is the only one she can eat without having serious stomach issues.
    Even my vet agreed after our three YEAR trial - we need to give her the food that allows her to have solid stool, and not vomit daily.
    Its was a long trial and error process for us -- good luck!!

I agree with this. The best food for your animals is the food that doesn't make their tummy upset - whether it be cheapy stuff or expensive stuff. I'm not going to force feed my poor dog food that upsets his tummy simply because someone says it is "better" for him. Is it really better for him if he's throwing up? has loose stools? is so gassy that he actually "whimpers"? (and yes, my American Bulldog/Boxer would actually lay on the couch and whimper and he sooo gassy). So, I say don't judge someone else by what they feed their animals - spending more on food doesn't make you a better dog parent. We all do what is best for our animals and there's no reason to judge someone else for what they choose. :)

That's one of the funny things with feeding our dogs homemade food and prey model raw. When dogs are on kibble and you switch them to a new food, you have to do it gradually or they get sick. My dogs literally eat different (but real) food every day, and never get sick from a sudden food switch; food "switches" are the norm for them.

Yesterday was like a holiday: they had cooked food at home (turkey, carrots, green beens, beets and supplements), and then we wend to a state park hiking for a few hours. Then they got to share dinner with us: rib eyes on the grill at the park. They thought they were in heaven to get a whole grilled rib eye a piece after a lovely hike with lots of smells :)

ETA: obviously, no raw today. They would of course have eaten their steaks raw, but I cooked it because my girl, Mischief, is spoiled rotten and likes spices and things on her meats. This is a treat, not an everyday thing, so prey model raw folks, don't jump on me with this. Normally, they would get raw animal (chicken, cow, pig, turkey, lamb, deer, quail, rabbit) pieces for their evening meal.
  • PALady4JC
    PALady4JC Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Check out www.dogfoodadvisor.com. At a minimum, I feed my girl a 4 star food. Canidae is often on sale. I recently discovered Diamond, which is one of the most reasonably priced 4 star I've found.
  • PALady4JC
    PALady4JC Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If only you could feed those rabbits pineapple so your dogs wouldn't like the taste of their poo. :laugh:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Authority Brand.. its a petsmart brand, but is good, no byproducts or fillers

This is what I feed my male. I was buying Pedigree because it didn't have animal digest in it, but then I realized it has BHA and BHT which is carcinogenic to humans, so I sure don't want my dogs eating it. Authority got a good score from dogfoodadvisor.com, so I went with that because I could afford it. My female has stomach issues, so she gets grain-free Nature's Recipe.

I refuse to buy Iams or anything related to Iams after seeing the video of the beagles lying on a lab floor with pieces of their thigh cut out. You can hear one tech tell another to shake them if they stop breathing. :( Also, Ol' Roy puppy food had the highest amount of sodium pentobarbital, what they put our pets to sleep with (comes from animal digest, which can include euthanized pets from shelters...google it). It looks like they've replaced "animal digest" with "animal fat" in the ingredients list, but it's still the same and explained on dogfoodadvisor.com's website. I haven't been able to find the report where I read the statistics, but there are links to reports here. http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/epa-document-proves-euthanized-dogs-and-cats-are-rendered.html . I don't know if someone already shared this info. I was skimming through the posts and didn't see it.
  • RH_Brazell
    RH_Brazell Posts: 339
    Options
    purina
  • JanetRussek
    Options
    I worked for a vet. Don't go by the brand!!! You can NOT believe those rediculous commercials (ask your vet what to feed) YES, I believe Beniful if awful. Always Look at the ingredients. If yor dog is NOT allergic to chicken/beef - The meat should be listed first (Byproducts or Meal are not quality meat). If your dog IS ALLERGIC to chicken/beef, ask your vet to suggest an appropriate food.

For a special treat, green peas mixed with their food is wonderful!!! As are, COOKED PLAIN, zuccini, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, celery, spinich, carrots, potatoies, white rice, pasta, boiled chichen (no skin), lean cooked meat (NO SPICES OR BUTTER). These are all very good for your dog and he'll love the variation in diet. He'll look forward to dinner time as a wonderful experience (Doggy Heaven)..

For SPECIAL hand treats, try bananas, cucumber slices, peanut butter, cheese (small cube or 1/4 of a single slice). Remember, IN MODERATION).

DO NOT EVER, EVER, give your dog onions, garlic, mushrooms, grapes, ice cream, nuts, raw eggs, raw fish/meat, candy/baked goods, absolutely NO salt (This means you better watch those french fries and potatoe chips!!!!) Some of these can result in increased insulin, liver failure, seizures, pancreatis, sodium ion poisoning.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I worked for a vet. Don't go by the brand!!! You can NOT believe those rediculous commercials (ask your vet what to feed) YES, I believe Beniful if awful. Always Look at the ingredients. If yor dog is NOT allergic to chicken/beef - The meat should be listed first (Byproducts or Meal are not quality meat). If your dog IS ALLERGIC to chicken/beef, ask your vet to suggest an appropriate food.

For a special treat, green peas mixed with their food is wonderful!!! As are, COOKED PLAIN, zuccini, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, celery, spinich, carrots, potatoies, white rice, pasta, boiled chichen (no skin), lean cooked meat (NO SPICES OR BUTTER). These are all very good for your dog and he'll love the variation in diet. He'll look forward to dinner time as a wonderful experience (Doggy Heaven)..

For SPECIAL hand treats, try bananas, cucumber slices, peanut butter, cheese (small cube or 1/4 of a single slice). Remember, IN MODERATION).

DO NOT EVER, EVER, give your dog onions, garlic, mushrooms, grapes, ice cream, nuts, raw eggs, raw fish/meat, candy/baked goods, absolutely NO salt (This means you better watch those french fries and potatoe chips!!!!) Some of these can result in increased insulin, liver failure, seizures, pancreatis, sodium ion poisoning.
    I can tell you "worked for a vet".

Actually my vet, who has practiced for 40+ years (don't know what I'll do when he finally retires), is incredibly in favor of the RAW and homecooked food I feed my dogs. He also tells me they look like perfect specimens whenever I bring them in for check ups. Many vets don't advocate Raw diets, but that has more to do with their pocket books than nutrition. I mean, it's common sense: If it can sit around on a shelf unchanged for years it shouldn't be considered food for dogs or humans.
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Wellness small bites for my two Pekingese. I'd rather go without food than feed them crap.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Turns out the bag of BLUE BUFFALO we bought over the weekend has made all of our dogs EXTREMELY SICK.