What brand of dog food does your dog eat?

Options

Replies

• lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My Lab/Pitt eats Beneful as well. When we got him, we tried a few different kinds but he kept getting sick. Beneful is the only thing he's had that hasn't made him vomit. As long as he doesn't get sick, we're sticking with that.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    BLUE...its a great food food dogs wonderful if they have any allergies..I hightly reccomend it
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Cat.
  • TheReese1206
    Options
    Pedigree
  • DoodleDaft
    Options
    My three are fed raw, they love it and they are v healthy on it!
  • cheree1969
    cheree1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    LOL...Blue for my dog too...and she tosses the bits onto the floor and eats them last. Too funny!
  • Johnny760
    Johnny760 Posts: 30
    Options
    Taste of the Wild.

The first ingredient is always a real animal (Lamb, Venisson, Salmon, Bison ect.) followed by vegetables and fruits. My dog loves it so much, that I used it as training treats also.
  • mbruss1984
    Options
    Diamond brand. Google search diamon dog food.

The Biggest thing is no corn wheat or soy. Dog are carnivores...they derive protein from meats...bottom line.

Half the Price of WIldblue and that stuff at Petsmart or Petco

Diamond Naturals

Lamb Meal & Rice Adult Dog Formula
    Antioxidant Formulation
    Omega Fatty Acids for Skin and Coat
    Crunchy Kibble Helps Clean Teeth and Reduce Plaque
    Natural Formula with Vitamins and Minerals
    No Wheat, No Corn, No Soy

Lamb protein provides optimal nutrition for dogs that prefer the taste of lamb, or are sensitive to chicken or corn. Guaranteed levels of vitamin E and selenium ensure that your dog receives optimum antioxidant nutrition, while omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids keep the skin and coat healthy and shiny.

Protein: 23% Fat: 14%
    Calories: 3,599 kcal/kg (337 kcal/cup) Calculated ME
    Sizes available: 6 lb, 20 lb, 40lb and 6 oz sample

Ingredients

Lamb meal, ground rice, cracked pearled barley, millet, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, rice bran, dried plain beet pulp, flaxseed, natural flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My shih tzu eats Nutro Natural Choice from Petco. It is expensive, but they send me coupons and she eats half as much because it is so nutrient rich. She has a corn allergy so it helps control her skin problems. I spend about $35 for a 15 lb bag which lasts about 6 weeks or more.

Rachel Ray has grain free foods on her website, but the kind sold in walmart have corn as an ingredient. The cost of shipping makes her food more than the food I already buy.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Our Huskies are fed on Fish4Dogs with the occasional bit of Salmon Oil drizzled over it. One of the best kibbles out there, in my opinion.

Ingredients:

Fresh Cod 30.5%, Potato 30.5%, Herring Meal 21.4%, Salmon Oil 7.6%, Beet Fibre 6.4%, Brewers Yeast 2.1%, Minerals 0.8%, Vitamins 0.7%

They LOVE it and their coats are so soft :-))
  • Nicoleo1
    Nicoleo1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have two English Springer Spaniels. I feed them Natural Balance (Limited Ingrediant Diet) Sweet Potato and Fish. Our 2.5 year old girl used to barf in the middle of the night almost every night. The vet said it's either a chicken or corn allergy so we moved her to NB. (She was previously on the Royal Canin Breed Specific Formula for Spaniels)
    When we got our little boy at 17 weeks old from the breeder he was such a rolly polie pup... We had a significant drive home with him (6 hours) and he farted the entire way. The puppy pack she gave me for him contained the food he was on and it happened to be a Purina Puppy Chow. It was obvious that he didn't feel well -He could have been car sick, but we had already done research on the dog food for the other pup, so decided to not wean him off the puppy food and put him straight onto the NB as well. He thinned out to a very slim puppy in less than a week, and had no adverse reaction to the change in diet. He got pretty thin so i added a 1/2 cup of NB puppy food to each meal for him for about 6 months.
    My dogs are energetic, sharp minded and beautiful shiney coats. They are poster puppies for the picture of health. The vet is very happy with them, as am I. There are no BM issues nor is there ever any more vomiting. The treats they get are actually made from the same recipe, just bone shaped.

* I edited spelling

I would never feed my dogs grains again. :)
  • aristeiapa
    Options
    We switch between Wellness, taste of the wild and chicken soup for the dog lover's soul. There is a food "test" out there that you can give your pet food to score how healthy it is. Also there is www.dogfoodanalysis.com, but they tend towards very high protein foods, which can sometimes be hard on kidneys.

Here is the link for the "test"

http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/ratingpetfood.htm
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    My dogs eat Beneful as well. I have a 6 yr old Golden/Lab mix, and after trying every "healthy" food on the market, Beneful is the only one she can eat without having serious stomach issues.
    Even my vet agreed after our three YEAR trial - we need to give her the food that allows her to have solid stool, and not vomit daily.
    Its was a long trial and error process for us -- good luck!!

I agree with this. The best food for your animals is the food that doesn't make their tummy upset - whether it be cheapy stuff or expensive stuff. I'm not going to force feed my poor dog food that upsets his tummy simply because someone says it is "better" for him. Is it really better for him if he's throwing up? has loose stools? is so gassy that he actually "whimpers"? (and yes, my American Bulldog/Boxer would actually lay on the couch and whimper and he sooo gassy). So, I say don't judge someone else by what they feed their animals - spending more on food doesn't make you a better dog parent. We all do what is best for our animals and there's no reason to judge someone else for what they choose. :)
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I feed mine the Purina ONE smartbalance lamb and rice. Only food that seems to sit well with my little ones digestive system. If Purina is crap, then I guess they like crap. I always have heard that the ONE is better, but dunno....I looked at the ingredients...lamb is the first one...cant be all bad.

They are healthy and happy :)
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    PEOPLE THAT FEED THEIR DOGS RAW!...

How do you go about it??? I have a 40lb Borador.... I fed her raw a few times and she loved it... But then my sister was being an asshead and said she was going to get a taste for blood.... I'm guessing that's not true..

So.... Ya... What and how much would I feed my dog?

Her name is Dehlila :)

premade raw is supper easy: defrost premade patty in fridge over night, give to dog.

for prey model raw
    great resources for starting:

http://rawlearning.com/

http://rawfeddogs.net/

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

http://www.rawfeddogs.org/

and, as you learn more:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

ETA: and the "taste for blood" thing is covered under any of the myths sections on those pages.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have a Lhasa Apso who has a grain intolerance and gets bad yeast infections in her ears. I feed her Nutro Natural Choice Grain Free and she has not had a yeast infection in 2 years! :)
  • HorrorGeek
    HorrorGeek Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Mine are on Nature's Balance - they are only one of 2 vegetarian options I have found. My one dog refuses to eat meat. None at all, not just meat based dog food. She's a carb junkie just like her mamma. LOL

It's funny because I was a vegetarian when I got them, but I was adamant that I would not force my dogs to be. I was just sure to buy them high quality food that was made from real meat and not by products. My malti-poo had really bad skin, so the vet recommended fish based, which worked well, but after 6 months she decided she hated it. And she refused to eat meat - no turkey from the Thanksgiving turkey, no hot dogs, no hamburger, no roasted chicken. Nothing.

So, now I'm back on the meat, but my dog is a vegetarian. LOL
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options

How do you go about it??? I have a 40lb Borador.... I fed her raw a few times and she loved it... But then my sister was being an asshead and said she was going to get a taste for blood.... I'm guessing that's not true..

423803_10150513718495899_584640898_9153108_1346222013_n.jpg

No they do not get the "Taste for Blood" !!! You might have to figure out exact amounts but you want to be able to run your hands along her side and feel her ribs. She looks great! An example of what I feed a Border Collie about 33 lbs is for one meal she get's about 6.5oz of raw chicken wings, her other meal consist of about 2.8-3oz of ground meat, along with a couple of tablespoons vegtables that have been put thru a juice, salmon oil and other suppliments. I have 5 dogs, and 2 foster rescue puppies right now and this is what they all get in different quantites. Like everyone else has said much less poo!

As I suspected haha! Thanks so much! Might I ask how much it would cost around for the month for one dog?
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options

premade raw is supper easy: defrost premade patty in fridge over night, give to dog.

for prey model raw
    great resources for starting:

http://rawlearning.com/

http://rawfeddogs.net/

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

http://www.rawfeddogs.org/

and, as you learn more:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

ETA: and the "taste for blood" thing is covered under any of the myths sections on those pages.

You as well, thank you very much!!!!
  • JerseyGirl4eva
    Options
    Beneful is horrible for your dog... you have to look at the ingredients on the bag of food my dog doesn't eat anything with processed meat, cornmeal, wheat gluten or any other fillers. Mine eats a combination of Nuta & Blue Buffalo. Her dry food is out for her all day as well as water at night she gets diced boiled chicken or baked fish added and any vegetables or grains that I eat that night i.e quinoa or israeli couscous. (My princess is half Yorkie and half chihuahua) and she is truly a spoiled brat!:bigsmile: