What brand of dog food does your dog eat?

Options

Replies

• Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Iams.

We fed our dogs Purina for years and they were very healthy and lived very long lives. Now they say Purina is bad for them. I think it's all a scam.

It's not a scam. Read the ingredients. If it starts with corn then that's what your dogs are eating the majority of. How about you? Do you want a big corn diet for yourself or do you think you'd be healthier eating rice & chicken as your primary diet?

Well, when your large dogs live very healthy lives until they are 15 years old, I think that's a good indication that you're doing something right.

Lots of people live off of fast food & live to be 90 too but that doesn't mean they're living to their full potential & their fullest healthy life.

ETA: SP
  • Skeemer118
    Options
    Iams.

We fed our dogs Purina for years and they were very healthy and lived very long lives. Now they say Purina is bad for them. I think it's all a scam.

It's not a scam. Read the ingredients. If it starts with corn then that's what your dogs are eating the majority of. How about you? Do you want a big corn diet for yourself or do you think you'd be healthier eating rice & chicken as your primary diet?

Agreed. I never gave a 2nd thought to what I was feeding my animals until about 3 years ago my oldest cat started to get very sick, was losing her fur in big patches and was licking her feet until they would bleed and get all nasty. After a trip to the vet and a course of meds the vet said to start feeding her grain and byproduct free. If the food says "chicken meal" or anything "meal" in the ingredients then it's a byproduct and is just crap. My (now 16 yr old) cat is healthier than she has been in the last 5 or 6 years... shiney coat... dandruff is gone... no more bald patches or licking.

That's terrific. My boy's have also never looked better. Healthy coats, lots of energy & regular tummy's. :smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Iams.

Well, when your large dogs live very healthy lives until they are 15 years old, I think that's a good indication that you're doing something right.

Lots of people live off of fast food too but that doesn't mean they're living to their full potential & their fullest healthy life.

OK. Well, when my dog starts showing signs of not being healthy, I'll switch foods. So far, six dogs over 35 years have been quite healthy and happy on the food I feed them. My vets have never been concerned. I suppose you know better, though. :-)
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Purina Puppy Chow :p

She's not quite big enough for "big girl" food.
    But I want the best for her after she gets there c:

There are actually lots of premium dog food brands that make food for pups as well :) I believe Wellness does for sure - and it's specific to large or small breed pups too!

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/recipes.aspx?pet=dog&ft=1
  • Skeemer118
    Options
    Iams.

And by the way, why did you switch dog foods if Purina was working for your pups in the first place? :huh:
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Beneful healthy radiance.

My pups (one purebred husky and her two Heinz 57 mutts :laugh: ) have been on healthy radiance for almost 6 months now. They get a full 32 oz cup of it each and a can of Purina chunk beef/country stew/lamb/chicken (whichever i happen to pick up for them that night) each. They had been on Ol' Roy for the first 5 years I had had them until the mama decided to get finicky and not eat the ol' Roy dry, so we had tried Kibbles and Bits, Gravy Train, basically everything BUT Rachael Ray and Iams, and suddenly she started eating the radiance. Now tomorrow she might start turning up her nose at it, but for now, all is happy in the kennel with what I am giving them.

Just my penny and a half after taxes.
  • Skeemer118
    Options
    Iams.

Lots of people live off of fast food too but that doesn't mean they're living to their full potential & their fullest healthy life.

OK. Well, when my dog starts showing signs of not being healthy, I'll switch foods. So far, six dogs over 35 years have been quite healthy and happy on the food I feed them. My vets have never been concerned. I suppose you know better, though. :-)

I never said I know better. But you sure don't either. :-)
  • Kellster30
    Kellster30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We feed our Boxer Pro Plan Shredded Blend - she loves it!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Pedigree!
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Acana or Orijen

My dogs just do very well on it. It's high in animal proteins, low in grains and carbs, and nearly every ingredient is a word I can pronounce!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    We use Natural Balance which we find at Pet Smart. It's a really good food & our dogs actually eat less of it because it fills them up properly. But it's expensive. About $50 for a 30 lb bag. But our dogs are small so a 30 lb bag lasts us forever.

We use Natural Balance, too! (Potato and Duck formula). Our vet recommended it and it always scores well in the 'Whole Dog Journal'.
  • cks3d1
    cks3d1 Posts: 39
    Options
    We feed our newfoundland puppy and our 6 year old GSD a breeder label Fromm.

Maintains their weight nicely, both love it, no issues. I recommend it.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Authority Brand.. its a petsmart brand, but is good, no byproducts or fillers
  • Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Taste of the Wild!
  • reallymyBEST
    reallymyBEST Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Nothing but BLUE for my Beagle, Baxter. He was on Iam's when I rescued him, but way overweight. BLUE stabilized that and it's the only thing I trust not to puff him back up again. It's funny, he spits the little "nutritional bits" off to the side of his bowl while he's eating and cleans them up last. He's a weirdo.
  • SnakeDarling
    SnakeDarling Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Purina Puppy Chow :p

She's not quite big enough for "big girl" food.
    But I want the best for her after she gets there c:

There are actually lots of premium dog food brands that make food for pups as well :) I believe Wellness does for sure - and it's specific to large or small breed pups too!

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/recipes.aspx?pet=dog&ft=1

Wow! Thanks!
    I had no idea
  • MRJ717
    MRJ717 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    my black lab eats Taste of the Wild. i used to have her on Iams but then did my research. she has always been healthy but now she looks even better!
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Hill's Science Diet for small dogs is what we feed him.
  • briteyes1002
    briteyes1002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. my dogs get the expensive stuff... Blue Buffalo.. and if they are lucky.. maybe some table scraps :)
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    It's amazing to me how many dog trainers feed their pups only the best... and then feed themselves McDonalds and all kinds of garbage. I suppose I fit into that category until a couple of months ago!

My Giants have done well with NutriSource and Canidae dry foods. I love, love, LOVE the Natural Balance dog food rolls for "treats" and training. Right now Atlas is enjoying whatever he steals off the counter, including half a loaf of bread and 4 tomatoes last night! Grrr.....