What brand of dog food does your dog eat?

Options

Replies

• eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Kibbles & Bits :) She refuses to eat anything but. When we rescued her she was eating Science Diet (the shelter sent us home with it) and was sick every single day. We started mixing it in with K&B and she slowly stopped getting sick until we switched her over entirely and she was fine. This isn't to say that Science Diet is bad, of course, my dog just can't process it apparently.

10ia0yv.jpg
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Iams.

We fed our dogs Purina for years and they were very healthy and lived very long lives. Now they say Purina is bad for them. I think it's all a scam.

It's not a scam. Read the ingredients. If it starts with corn then that's what your dogs are eating the majority of. How about you? Do you want a big corn diet for yourself or do you think you'd be healthier eating rice & chicken as your primary diet?

Well, when your large dogs live very healthy lives until they are 15 years old, I think that's a good indication that you're doing something right.

Lots of people live off of fast food too but that doesn't mean they're living to their full potential & their fullest healthy life.

OK. Well, when my dog starts showing signs of not being healthy, I'll switch foods. So far, six dogs over 35 years have been quite healthy and happy on the food I feed them. My vets have never been concerned. I suppose you know better, though. :-)

I never said I know better. But you sure don't either. :-)

Vets generally don't study nutrition in vet school. They tend to listen to whatever dog food rep comes into their office.

I feed Natures Domain and every other night, I feed raw. Natures Domain is a grain free food sold at Costco. It's made by Diamond, which also makes Taste of the Wild.

If I could afford to feed them raw full time, I would do it in a heartbeat. Since I started every other night feeding it, their teeth and their coats have improved immensely. And they had nice coats before starting raw. Now they are fabulous.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Blue Buffalo. About the only food that's easy on my Pug's little stomachs.

Pedigree!

I don't mean to be a dog food snob but... Pedigree is not food. It's animal by-product glued together with unhealthy filler and a cornucopia of chemicals.

Get Eukanuba at the very minimum for your dog if the budget is a little too tight for a premium food.
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    I have to feed my boy Natural Balance or he gains weight too quick
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Iams.

We fed our dogs Purina for years and they were very healthy and lived very long lives. Now they say Purina is bad for them. I think it's all a scam.

It's not a scam. Read the ingredients. If it starts with corn then that's what your dogs are eating the majority of. How about you? Do you want a big corn diet for yourself or do you think you'd be healthier eating rice & chicken as your primary diet?

Well, when your large dogs live very healthy lives until they are 15 years old, I think that's a good indication that you're doing something right.

Lots of people live off of fast food too but that doesn't mean they're living to their full potential & their fullest healthy life.

OK. Well, when my dog starts showing signs of not being healthy, I'll switch foods. So far, six dogs over 35 years have been quite healthy and happy on the food I feed them. My vets have never been concerned. I suppose you know better, though. :-)

I never said I know better. But you sure don't either. :-)

Vets generally don't study nutrition in vet school. They tend to listen to whatever dog food rep comes into their office.

I feed Natures Domain and every other night, I feed raw. Natures Domain is a grain free food sold at Costco. It's made by Diamond, which also makes Taste of the Wild.

If I could afford to feed them raw full time, I would do it in a heartbeat. Since I started every other night feeding it, their teeth and their coats have improved immensely. And they had nice coats before starting raw. Now they are fabulous.

My vet does not sell food. She makes no profit on what I feed my dog. She basically told me to look at the ingredients.
  • mae1020
    mae1020 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    We had our dog on Beniful for a few months and she got really really sick. She's now on Blue Buffalo's Turkey and Potato recipe. It's expensive but she doesn't have anymore problems.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Our dog gets Kirkland, from Costco. good food for the price and you get a ton of it. I would prefer he be on a grain free diet, but grain free food is expensive.
  • Daphs1970
    Options
    My black lab has Alpha Adult Worker Maintenance, with a bit of Chappie wet :wink:
  • SarLem81
    SarLem81 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I give my mini schnauzer Blue Buffalo. I started him on it after he gained a lot of weight from a combination of wet and dry food full of fillers. Took him a little while to get used to it, but he loves it now.
  • Ddubs22
    Ddubs22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    We feed our golden Kirkland's Adult formula too, he's been doing great on it.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have semi-athletic dogs, so I feed them Circle J High Protein food. It's made locally where I live, and it's good food.
  • jkaupanger
    Options
    We use Orijen for both of our dogs. It takes a little playing around to find the right type, but once you do, it's great. Lots of protein - maybe too much for a lap-dog, but for a German Shepherd and a Pitt/Boxer/Beagle mix - it's perfect. Their coats have never looked so good.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    our is diamond from the vet and my dog loooooooooooooooooooooves it but it gives him HORRIBLE gas but as long as he likes it thatn its all good.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    My dog eats cat food!! I just stopped buying dog food because she will go and eat the cat food and not touch the dog food. It probably suits her because she is the momma to the cats (they all LOVE her) She probably thinks she is a cat too!!
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Just go here and see how your food rates. No need to argue about it - just research it. :)

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I use Beneful but my Vet told me that it is basically just 'junk' food...haha No wonder my dogs love it so much.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Nutrisource............extremely healthy and not sold in grocery/walmart type stores!
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    i buy my great dane, Blue Bluffalo. its over $50.00 for a bag and that lasts him about a week or so. expensive but great dog dog food. no fillers at all.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Iams mini
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have a Doberman and she is fed on a combination of a BARF diet (biologically appropriate raw food) and Burns kibble. She has lots of allergies and the masses of additives and preservatives in commercial dog foods tend to give her rashes and make her hyperactive.