WALKING!: It's great excercise NOT wussy excercise!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I love going for a walk. It is good exercise.
  • Uts10BI
    Uts10BI Posts: 1
    Options
    Walking is my main workout, which many have told me is not enough.But doing the math, walking 1.5 miles in 30 minutes at lunch every day gets my heart rate up to the target range that qualifies it as a cardio workout.
    Its free,easy and it work for me, I'm down 10 pounds!
    be well
  • smileyface45
    smileyface45 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    bump
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Walking isn't my main exercise, but I agree it's great! I walk every chance I get, and I try to make sure to get in a walk on my "rest" days from jumping rope. I would definitely walk more if I had more opportunities.

I especially like walking while carrying my 3yo in the hiking backpack-style carrier I have. It increases my calorie burn by more than 20%, and he is great company!
  • davebarron
    Options
    I lost 55 pounds and I mostly walk to and from work 25 minutes each way every weekday - mind you at pretty high speed. I have crappy ankles and knees so the only alternative is an elliptical trainer or other low impact exercise like snowshoeing. Now that I have reached my goal weight and am in maintenance mode, I still walk a lot and enjoy it a lot.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Agreed! The good thing about walking esp outside is the terrain is different! So you get a good work out on different parts of your body! I went walking during my lunch break at work and encountered a HILL!!!!! My booty got a great boost that day!
  • derekmitchell
    Options
    i have been walking from July 2011 and now I am up to 7.5 to 8 miles for a regular thrice weekly walk with occasions up to 13.5 miles. I have bad knees from basketball as a young man and I cannot run. I walk at a rate 4.5 to 4.7 mph but mfp only has 4.5mph speeds in the calorie counter. Luckily I use a garmin watch and website to supplement this and use that estimate to calculate my calorie count. I have lost 37 pounds so far.
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I walk for about 30 minutes a day, first thing in the morning. It's a great warm-up for the day. I started walking at 308 lbs. Then, I started changing my diet, which brought me down to 290 lbs. Now, I've started adding other forms of exercise. I'm doing power 90 and starting to try to do couch 2 5k.

About 10 years ago, my mom took off over 80 lbs walking. She got to where she was walking 7-10 miles a day. She had quit walking for a few years, and she gained most of her weight back, so now she's back on track and is walking with me. But she works now and can't walk so many miles in a day. But walking totally works.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Walking is the only exercise I really can do much of now, and I do it every day. It keeps my blood flowing, and I feel great.
  • marysue1965
    marysue1965 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    walking is my main exercise, but i do add strength training, other forms of aerobics, & yoga, but i think walkings the best. so far i'v elost 22 lbs.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Walking is an excellent form of exercise. The nutrient partitioning effect is amazing and good for overall recovery.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    WALKING is AWESOME !!!

My company just completed a 100 Mile challenge. Walk 100 miles in 3 months. I finished out at around 235. Walking is a great cardio workout. Easier on your joints. Great for your lungs. Great for your heart. Great for your puppy dogs... Great for your kids....
    The list is endless...

Get out there and WALK WALK WALK !!!
  • shakethiahinton
    Options
    This post is SO true! I started my new fitness and meal plan for weight loss on September 5 and I started off speed walking around my city lake first thing in the mornings before I did anything else or in the evenings when I got off work for about 30 minutes and I PROMISE in my first 2 weeks along with proper eating, I lost 11lbs!!!! I'm telling you, I was SPEED WALKING like a mad woman...the speed walking for the first 2 weeks led up to a very slow paced jog that took me 20 minutes to do a mile and half but quickly decreased to 16 minutes at a quicker pace jog! I can testify - WALKING STARTS IT ALL!!!!!
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Walking 3 miles burns more fat than running 3 miles :P
  • jodi41086
    Options
    I work at Hibbet Sports and do a lot of walking around the store, I wore my watch to calculate steps and I walked 10 miles just at work!!! Burned like 900 calories I didn't know how to add that into my daily stuff so I left MFP calories the same.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    It's all I do. 30 min 5 days / week and the occasional 12mile/20k hike - will be hiking more next year. We're planning to do the Rideau Trail in our area. It's 387-kilometre (240 mi) hiking trail linking Ottawa and Kingston..pretty pumped about it.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. I really enjoy my walks now, especially when the weather is fine.