Anyone eating fast-food and still loosing? :)

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Maybe because people should not restrict their diets or avoid certain foods simply because someone on the internet said that food was bad. I personally don't believe that any food is bad. All food has some level and quality of nutritional value. And guess what, I'm not angry. Defending my point about orange juice does not make me angry. But before you attempt to escalate me to that point, I think I will just walk away from this thread. Yet again, the "sensationalists" have denied the truth.

OP, I hope your question has been answered.

Let's not bother Whit. The thread has been taken over by the OMG 20 GRAMS OF SUGAR! OMG SODIUM! crowd. Like it was destined to from the start.

*links arms and skips away*

Quick tip, if you are wondering who to listen to, check to see how much weight people have lost and how long they've been here. It's a good way of figuring out who's full of it and who isn't. Ta!
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have one day a week that I eat whatever I want, occasionally this includes fast food, however my fast food tastes have significantly changed since eating "clean", my body severly punishes me if I eat greasy (cough) "food", but I do have the occasional thin crust pizza, and it never seems to hinder the weight loss!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while I'll have fast food. I know for a fact that if I give up the foods I like, I'll start to crave it more and this whole weight loss journey will end. Some people want to lose the weight fast, but that's just not for me. Like other people said...eat the things you like in moderation.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    when I am hungover or drunk, yes.
  • prabsnation
    Options
    i'm not eating fast food now for various reasons, but there was a time when i ate double chee's from mcd's pretty much every day. They're so great, $1, 330ish calories and a decent breakdown of carbs/fat/protein. Obviously, it's not the ideal breakdown, but losing weight is not the same as getting overall fit/healthy and is just a function of calories in vs calories out. Theoretically, you could eat fast food as your entire diet and lose weight as long as your total cals were below maintenance. Wouldn't be the healthiest, but you get the point.
  • fionaface
    fionaface Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes! It is absolutely possible to eat out and still lose. I am one example of that! You just need to be sure to keep track of your calories. Also, if you have one "bad day" or "bad meal," then remember that it is not the end of the world. You might even want to have a calorie goal for your week, instead of just for one day at a time. That way, going over your calories on one day with fast food or another type of restaurant won't necessary kill your nutritional goals for the long run!
  • katesmithy
    Options
    I still eat everything I did before joining MFP, I just eat less of it! I've still lost but I'm considering whether to start being healthier as I'm so hungry sometimes.. I can't go without crisps though, I would die!
  • textlikekisses
    Options
    I still eat whatever I want- including fast food. The difference is that I have learned to eat it in moderation....just by staying within my daily calorie allotment, and exercising.

THIS!

This is what I do. When i KNOW where I am going out to eat (because we do a few times a week) I look on the MFP food database and check out healthy options. I plan what I will order and work it in to my calorie goals before I even sit down. Then I won't look at tempting menu options and i ENJOY my meal. For example, today my SO wanted to go to buffalo wild wings (day off work!) so - we did. I ordered a lunch (a soft chicken taco (buffalito) and side salad with lite italian) and stayed under 390 calories! After lunch, we went to the gym and did a little 30 min workout and I burned off most of that lunch anyhow! Just be wise about your planning and enjoy the food you do eat - don't feel guilty!
  • kendra0224
    Options
    I eat a lot better than I used to, but I still have room for much improvement! lol However, that being said, I have still lost about 16 pounds since January, and I am in better shape (health and fitness) than I have ever been as an adult. It has more to do with eating within the limits, eating healthy food is important, but you don't want to completely deprive yourself of everything "unhealthy." If you have a day or two out of the week when you eat something that is not so healthy, it's ok, and in the end I think it is more beneficial to the overall success of shedding that extra unhealthy weight. :) good luck!
  • Princessbrene
    Princessbrene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have cut back, but I do have it sometimes. I've changed how I order though.
    For example:

McDonalds before: Big Mac, fries, coca-cola, and often got it super-sized. CALORIES: 1350
    McDonalds now: Double Cheeseburger, Fruit & Walnut Salad. Water. CALORIES: 650

Chick Fil A before: 8 piece nugget meal with 2 packs of Chick Fil A sauce, large fries, with a coca-cola CALORIES: 1450
    Chick Fil A now: Grilled Chicken sandwich, 2 packs of buffalo sauce, and a large Diet Lemonade: CALORIES: 320

It's about making better choices. ;o)
  • footballmom12
    footballmom12 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think my kids would revolt if they had to do without Mcdonalds and pizza because of me!! MODERATION!!!! Still drink regular pop too...Be smart about portions, drink LOTS of water and excercise and you will have success!!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    As long as you are honest with yourself and track it, there isn't a problem. When I did Weight Watchers, this woman lost 30 pounds and ate fast food every day for lunch. She just didn't sweep it under the rug and pretend she didn't eat it. She tracked it and kept working out.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

Maybe because people should not restrict their diets or avoid certain foods simply because someone on the internet said that food was bad. I personally don't believe that any food is bad. All food has some level and quality of nutritional value. And guess what, I'm not angry. Defending my point about orange juice does not make me angry. But before you attempt to escalate me to that point, I think I will just walk away from this thread. Yet again, the "sensationalists" have denied the truth.

You seem to think he's "looking down his nose" at people who eat fast food when he's just adding something interesting to the topic.

If you think this thread is being "hijacked" by people who look at specific things like macronutrients, then I have news for you: you're posting on a messageboard called "food and nutrition"
  • prabsnation
    Options
    Trop50 is not made with sugar. It is made with artificial sweetener (I think) which is why it is low-cal. And no one should be worried about sugar unless they are diabetic. Extra sugar has no detrimental impact to body mass.

Look I don't make this stuff up... I live it! And you aren't in any worse or better shape than I am thanks to your "clean" diet.

How do you allege what shape I am in?
    I drink orange juice once in a while. I did last night.

I am not alleging anything about your shape. My point is that a "clean" diet does not always mean healthy, and an individual can be healthy eating a "non-clean" diet. You asserted that drinking orange juice after fast food was a trade up. I countered that that particular product is not.

Whit, I like where you're coming from, but some of this stuff needs to be clarified. A "clean" diet is certainly going to have a positive effect on one's body makeup. Sure, you'll lose the same amount of weight eating the same amount of calories regardless of diet, but your body composition will be entirely different. You have to be careful how you use the word healthy here. Losing weight is not the same as being healthy.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Like many many have mentioned, mathematically you can eat whatever you want as long as overall you're meeting those number goals.

I'm also in the non-fast-food camp, though (partially because of snobby political reasons - yes, I'm one of those people that won't eat somewhere because of the business - like Chick-fil-A and their right-wing, anti-gay stuff, and partially to avoid processed food), and if I do go to restaurants, I go in with a plan.

Others have also mentioned how they feel like crap after eating fast food, and I tend to as well (or eat anything "heavy" in sodium and carbs).
  • prabsnation
    Options
    yeah, probably the best reason for me trying to eat more vegetables and lean meats is how things digest and how i overall feel. skin looks better, nails and hair grow quicker (i'm a dude, this is a negative), etc.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Whit, I like where you're coming from, but some of this stuff needs to be clarified. A "clean" diet is certainly going to have a positive effect on one's body makeup. Sure, you'll lose the same amount of weight eating the same amount of calories regardless of diet, but your body composition will be entirely different. You have to be careful how you use the word healthy here. Losing weight is not the same as being healthy.

Yes... This is my stance on it. I lost weight by cutting calories, but I got healthy by eating better food. No one is 100% perfect or 100% "clean" but there is no debate that eating real, nutritious foods is a better approach than eating the same amount of calories worth of snack food. I'm not going to apologize for saying it.
  • prabsnation
    Options
    one thing i will say as far as eating crappy and losing weight is that when you're really fat it matters less what you're eating. it matters way more that you're doing whatever works consistently because you have to take baby steps at first. trying to go from a really bad diet to a really clean one can be tough - as you get further along and see results, it becomes easier to slowly implement an ideal diet and exercise routine.
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Nothings forbidden just eat the right portions and plan your calories around it. Also eat more nutritious the rest of the week so you get your nutrients in.
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Let's not bother Whit. The thread has been taken over by the OMG 20 GRAMS OF SUGAR! OMG SODIUM! crowd. Like it was destined to from the start.

*links arms and skips away*

Quick tip, if you are wondering who to listen to, check to see how much weight people have lost and how long they've been here. It's a good way of figuring out who's full of it and who isn't. Ta!

Very true!