Tried to eat more it does not work

Options
I was eating more food as everyone was telling me to do so. But l have not loss any weight in the last 3 weeks by eating more. So now l am going back to eating under 1200 cals a day as l was losing the weight then without any problems.

I think you do really need to listen to your body and that will let you know if you need more fuel or not.

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I've just checked your diary - I'm not sure why you think you are eating more.

Some days you aren't even netting 500 calories.

Go to reports, nutrition, net calories - it's the net calories that should be over 1200, you are way under.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    What were you eating more of? If your body is used to such a low calorie intake (>1200) it can take more than 3 weeks for it to adjust to having more fuel.
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    A good way of eating more is little and often. Try to eat every 2 hours but not a full meal. Space it out and then you will probably find you will be more hungry whenever 2 hours rolls around. Works for me
  • marynmarty
    marynmarty Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree with you!!! I was told the same thing because I range anywhere from 1000-1200 a day and I am losing about 1-2 pounds a week. When I eat more I don't do so well. Everyone is different and I'm not going to force myself to eat just to get over 1200 calories. That's crazy to me. Your body has a way of telling you to eat hungry so if your not feeling it don't do it.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    you ate more but not enough, if you take in 1500 calories and burn 1900, you have a negative net of 400, meaning you need to eat an ADDITIONAL 1600 to get to your 1200 net you are supposed to be at.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I was eating more food as everyone was telling me to do so. But l have not loss any weight in the last 3 weeks by eating more. So now l am going back to eating under 1200 cals a day as l was losing the weight then without any problems.

I think you do really need to listen to your body and that will let you know if you need more fuel or not.

Depending on how long you have been eating like this it could take longer than 3 weeks to repair your metabolism. You shouldn't net anything less than your BMR. If you gain or don't lose weight for a while, don't sweat it. Its not a race, it's a lifestyle change.

Keep it up, you will lose if you keep it up!!! I did!!

It took a little over a month to see a change!!
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options

FINALLY! Someone who's making sense on this site! People keep telling me to eat more too. I just ignore them.
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I agree with you!!! I was told the same thing because I range anywhere from 1000-1200 a day and I am losing about 1-2 pounds a week. When I eat more I don't do so well. Everyone is different and I'm not going to force myself to eat just to get over 1200 calories. That's crazy to me. Your body has a way of telling you to eat hungry so if your not feeling it don't do it.

Thanks for that l agree..I do eat every 2-3 hours throughout the day so l am keeping my body in fuel so that l do not burn out and l am very fit and on the go all day long with 3 kids and work to keep me busy and l am very happy eating around 1200 or least.

I am not going to eat the calories that l am burning l find that not right, why burn calories if you are only going to eat them back?
  • Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Go to reports, nutrition, net calories - it's the net calories that should be over 1200, you are way under.

^^^^This

your net calories that is your total calories - your exercise calories, should be at least 1200 a day!
    when i was netting less than this i was not losing any weight.
    it is displayed on your home page what your net calories are, you haven't even cleared 1000 today
  • Peanut0711
    Peanut0711 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

:happy: Thank you!! i didn't know this existed!!! I need to eat more maybe that's my problem!! tytyty =):smile::bigsmile:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

tania, I share your concern. when i lost my weight the first time around, i never touched my exercise calories, but since then everyone is saying that i should eat at least 500 calories NET a day. I did and piled on 8 lbs in 2 weeks. I'm with you and going back to sticking to what mfp says, and continue my aggressive exercise routine...after all, it helped me the last time.
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If your body gets used to eating so little, what do u think will happen when you start eating normal again? Not going to be able to maintain just gain! good luck on your journey and hopefully you can become a healthier you!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    If your body gets used to eating so little, what do u think will happen when you start eating normal again? Not going to be able to maintain just gain! good luck on your journey and hopefully you can become a healthier you!

This exactly!
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Okay, so don't eat back your exercise calories and don't eat enough for your body to do it's job. Why are you even posting about it then? Is eating too little working for you? Fabulous. Continue starving yourself then.
  • jodibefitvegan
    jodibefitvegan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been using a wonderful superfood shake to lose my last stubborn 5 pounds-it works wonderfully.

I really love this product-it is only 160 calories too!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

^^THIS.

Yea, you're losing now, but guess what? You're most likely losing muscle mass. And I don't know about you but I would like to keep my muscle and lose my fat. You should be NETTING 1200 calories a day (OR MORE). It will take more than 3 weeks to repair your metabolism, and from what I've read, you were most likely not eating enough when you upped your calories. I eat well over 1600 calories a day, somedays I even eat over 2000 and I lose a pound a week. My work outs aren't crazy either, never more than an hour a day. I'm fairly small too, 135 pounds. It can be done.
  • tania2287
    Options

I was eating only around 500 calories before so l am eating lots more and my body is happy now with this amount everyday.

I tried to eat more and l just would be sick in the tummy with pain as l was putting to much food in my body. I will not be doing that any more.
  • tania2287
    Options
    Okay, so don't eat back your exercise calories and don't eat enough for your body to do it's job. Why are you even posting about it then? Is eating too little working for you? Fabulous. Continue starving yourself then.

Ok, l will then thanks for that one..But l am not starving like you say l am.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Thanks for that l agree..I do eat every 2-3 hours throughout the day so l am keeping my body in fuel so that l do not burn out and l am very fit and on the go all day long with 3 kids and work to keep me busy and l am very happy eating around 1200 or least.

I am not going to eat the calories that l am burning l find that not right, why burn calories if you are only going to eat them back?

MFP sets up your calorie deficit without taking into account exercise - it has given you a deficit of say 500 calories to lose 1lb a week. If you are going to burn another 1000 calories, you have made a deficit of 1500+ which is too high.

if you are not going to eat the exercise calories in the way MFP recommends, and want to just use your exercise to create the defict, then set MFP to maintenance, or you need to be including the exercise in your TDEE, so use another site like http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

You are not eating enough to fuel the workouts you are doing, if your calorie burn is accurate.
  • tania2287
    Options

MFP sets up your calorie deficit without taking into account exercise - it has given you a deficit of say 500 calories to lose 1lb a week. If you are going to burn another 1000 calories, you have made a deficit of 1500+ which is too high.

if you are not going to eat the exercise calories in the way MFP recommends, and want to just use your exercise to create the defict, then set MFP to maintenance, or you need to be including the exercise in your TDEE, so use another site like http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

You are not eating enough to fuel the workouts you are doing, if your calorie burn is accurate.

Thanks for that l will reset it then..