Tried to eat more it does not work

Options

Replies

• LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Honestly, why bother trying to drill this stuff into peoples heads? Most of these women who refuse to eat more than like 500 calories a day are stubborn and will not listen.
    Society has drilled it into our heads that we have to basically starve ourselves to lose weight and be healthy, which is total bullcrap.

If she doesn't want to listen to good, healthy, advice, don't force it on her. Let her starve.

QFMFT
  • LizKurz
    Options
    Best way to start a fight on the internet: Forget politics and religion, talk about your opinions on losing weight.

1) Should she eat more? Maybe. Probably.

2) Will she lose weight eating the way she is? Obviously yes. The biggest myth I see on these boards is that you can eat too little to lose any weight. As a general statement, that is crazy talk. Anorexia-stricken people do not have any trouble getting skinny. People in forced labor camps aren't flabby. Use your brains, folks. You can eat too little for health, you can slow your metabolism down, you can have increased difficulty losing weight at the same speed as your metabolism lowers, but no, you can't net 500 calories a day and not lose fat. If you are genuinely netting 500 calories a day and not losing weight, you are a medical MIRACLE or simply underestimating your calorie intake or overestimating your TDEE.

3) Long term, it is better to deficit 500 calories a day (of total burned, not your BMR, folks), not as many as you can per day. A great calorie deficit might trigger your body to try to make up for it in ways that will eventually sabotage your weight loss plan. Additionally, the less you eat, the more likely it is that you miss out on important vitamins and enzymes that are difficult to get back through pills and enriched drinks.

It's not a myth, yes, anorexia works. But its not healthy, and those that dont have the propensity for the disorder? Cant keep it up long term. Anorexia is just like any other mental disorder, additions, depression, etc, not everyone is prone to it.

Eta for stoopid autocorrect
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I had the same problem. When I was eating more, I was at a plateau. Then I began cross checking it with other data. I checked Health Canada to see what I should be eating for someone my age and my activity level. The recommendation was 1650 calories, which is where the automated MFP had set me at. But at 204 lbs, I needed to lose, not maintain.

Health Canada: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/basics-base/1_1_1-eng.php

So I went on line, and found a few websites that recommended that I eat 1200 calories. So I re-set MFP at 1250, and if I stick to eating between 1200 and 1300, I lose. And to lose, I NEED to exercise, but not eat back the calories.

I figure that eating at a 400 calorie deficit, and losing slowly is what I need to do. I eat healthy, whole foods all cooked from scratch and not empty calories, so that I am not hungry. This is unlike WW where I was hungry all the time, lost 30 pounds, and was so ravenous when I reached goal that I gained everything back at the rate of 2 lbs per month.

So, the lesson from all this, is what works if you are a 62 year old mainly sedentary senior is probably not suited for a super-active working mom of 30. So, check out different sources and find out what you need.

Thanks l totally agree with you.

What works for someone young does not work for someone at my age...

The difference between young and old is a few hundred calories and is accounted for in your metabolic rate. The reason young people have higher metabolism is they have more lean body mass. All this is accounted for in the equations.
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Go to reports, nutrition, net calories

I didn't know that existed -- thanks!
  • taylorblues
    taylorblues Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump........interesting topic
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    BTW, why would you even have this thread if Jenni Craig worked? And if you obviously know more than all of us, why even ask for advice.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Do what is right for your body. If you are working out, it is a good idea to consume more that day so your body has the fuel it needs. Otherwise...do what works. I became fat because I was eating too much, and too much of the wrong thing. I have cut down to 1790 calories a day, and have been eating non-processed foods. I also do at least 30 mins of cardio every day, and the 30 Day Shred everyday. I burn a lot, and NO...I do not eat back those calories..and I have lost tons of inches. Works for me, but may not work for you. Make sure you are never hungry...with that said. Congrats on your success so far! Feel free to add me.
  • LizKurz
    Options
    thheaddesk2.gif

I hope iPad insurance covers "coffee spit" cause I just spit my coffe laughing so hard at this!
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Okay, so don't eat back your exercise calories and don't eat enough for your body to do it's job. Why are you even posting about it then? Is eating too little working for you? Fabulous. Continue starving yourself then.

^^^ this!!!
    lmbo!! right ... why the heck did she post??

eating more isnt something the posters of mfp made up ... it is a FACT ...

Believe it or not, a weight-loss program that overly restricts calories will set you up for failure, as will a skipped meal. There is a point at which cutting calories will work against weight loss because consuming too few calories (or too few meals) leads to increased appetite and low satiety as your body prevents starvation. You will find it hard to implement your healthy eating goals when you’re feeling hungry and dissatisfied. And you will suffer from cravings, ultimately causing you to fall into under-eating and over-eating cycles.

Your body will make a choice: lose body fat or lose muscle. An inadequately fueled body will choose to drop calorie-burning muscle rather than fat. Excessive loss of lean muscle mass leads to weight loss without improvement of body composition or health. This leaves you frustrated and ever-battling your weight.

the OP will be posting later on down the line ... "EATING MORE REALLY WORKS" LOL!!
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

I am not sure what you are on, but l am not killing myself.

I have been to Jenny Craig and they had me on 1200 calories a day with 1 hour of exercise..

Doing the same as if l was still with Jenny Craig

I am fit and very health by all blood test done and a full check up with my doctor..

Did Jennie Craig have you eating half your calories as junk food, or was it nutritious food?
    did they have you exercising 2-3 hours a day?

Sorry, but you're not doing the same as if you were still with JC.
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    Ok, if someone else has already said this sorry! There are a lot of responses on here!! I ate less than I was supposed to for a long time and lost 65 lbs. Gained back iver 100. I couldn't sustain it. Now its so much harder to loose because I damaged my metabolism. I am just now, 118 lbs in, feeling like its back where it should be.
    I learner that when you are trying to add calories to your diet, you cant add them on all at once. Add 10% per week. This way, you are gradually introducing the calories back in. You may gain or stay the same for a month or even 2, but you are rebuilding your body to burn better in the future.
    I do agree though, that every body is different. Just make sure you are healthy and satisfied! Good luck!
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It cracks me up when people say things like, "Sure you can lose weight eating VLCD, or else people in concentration camps would have been fat."

Because the goal is to eat like an Auchwitz prisoner? As if its a good thing to starve yourself?

OP, don't say that eating more doesn't work. It does. I eat nearly 2400 cals a day and lose 1-1.5lbs a week. And no, I don't have limitless free time and little stress. I have two kids, go to school full time, work full time, and have a husband who does the same. I just burn 500-750 calories over my intake between what my body burns functioning normally and during the 45 mins of exercise I can squeeze in 3-5 times a week.

Just admit that you don't want it to work, so you won't give it a fair shot.
  • fitby38
    Options
    I've just checked your diary - I'm not sure why you think you are eating more.

Some days you aren't even netting 500 calories.

Go to reports, nutrition, net calories - it's the net calories that should be over 1200, you are way under.

This^^ . You're eating too little so your body may be storing fat.

I am not storing fat l have loss the fat, I have not loss skin at all and very tone and have muscle.

hard to tell from that face shot you posted
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    bump
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Best way to start a fight on the internet: Forget politics and religion, talk about your opinions on losing weight.

1) Should she eat more? Maybe. Probably.

2) Will she lose weight eating the way she is? Obviously yes. The biggest myth I see on these boards is that you can eat too little to lose any weight. As a general statement, that is crazy talk. Anorexia-stricken people do not have any trouble getting skinny. People in forced labor camps aren't flabby. Use your brains, folks. You can eat too little for health, you can slow your metabolism down, you can have increased difficulty losing weight at the same speed as your metabolism lowers, but no, you can't net 500 calories a day and not lose fat. If you are genuinely netting 500 calories a day and not losing weight, you are a medical MIRACLE or simply underestimating your calorie intake or overestimating your TDEE.

3) Long term, it is better to deficit 500 calories a day (of total burned, not your BMR, folks), not as many as you can per day. A great calorie deficit might trigger your body to try to make up for it in ways that will eventually sabotage your weight loss plan. Additionally, the less you eat, the more likely it is that you miss out on important vitamins and enzymes that are difficult to get back through pills and enriched drinks.

It's not a myth, yes, anorexia works. But its not healthy, and those that dont have the propensity for the disorder? Cant keep it up long term. Anorexia is just like any other mental disorder, additions, depression, etc, not everyone is prone to it.

Eta for stoopid autocorrect

Please don't read my post as pro-anorexia, because it wasn't. Anorexia is a debilitating mental illness, NOT a diet taken to extremes (though, sure, it might start that way for some). It was just evidence to show the misinformed that yes, eating too little still results in losing weight. It was not meant to say that this is actually how you should lose weight.

If folks want to say it is unhealthy to net 500 calories or that there is a sweet spot in caloric deficit that may help you lose weight faster and with more energy or that that sort of extreme dieting isn't sustainable and could lead to binging and gaining back everything you've lost, then that is what they should say, not "you won't lose weight" or "you're eating too little to lose weight" or "you're putting your body in starvation mode, which causes your body to not lose weight" or "your body gets used to eating so little"

It's all bad science. It's like saying the reason you should eat a couple of servings of fruit everyday is to ward off alien invasions. It's the right message, but everything else about it is wrong. Sorry, just misinformation drives me batty XD
  • fitby38
    Options
    Honestly, why bother trying to drill this stuff into peoples heads? Most of these women who refuse to eat more than like 500 calories a day are stubborn and will not listen.
    Society has drilled it into our heads that we have to basically starve ourselves to lose weight and be healthy, which is total bullcrap.

If she doesn't want to listen to good, healthy, advice, don't force it on her. Let her starve.

best response yet ... this chick is stubborn ... and she said her doctor advised her to keep doing what shes doing ... WELL ... when did psychiarist start giving nutritional information??? lol!!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    It cracks me up when people say things like, "Sure you can lose weight eating VLCD, or else people in concentration camps would have been fat."

Because the goal is to eat like an Auchwitz prisoner? As if its a good thing to starve yourself?

OP, don't say that eating more doesn't work. It does. I eat nearly 2400 cals a day and lose 1-1.5lbs a week. And no, I don't have limitless free time and little stress. I have two kids, go to school full time, work full time, and have a husband who does the same. I just burn 500-750 calories over my intake between what my body burns functioning normally and during the 45 mins of exercise I can squeeze in 3-5 times a week.

Just admit that you don't want it to work, so you won't give it a fair shot.

I totally agree with this ^^^ you really need to feed your body. Your muscle tissue will be affected by a very low calorie diet. Please try and think about what is sustainable for you. For me, 1200 was making me hungry all the time and i was sacrificing my muscle tissue. even though i lost fat as well as muscle, i wasn't really looking toned. just looking like a rubber band (a skinny rubber band anyway). that wasn't the look i wanted. i'm not saying you have to eat over 2000 but just try increasing to 1600 or so for a while... you really have to give it a good 2 month period to adjust. maybe even longer. what happened to me is i was wanting to binge all the time because my body was starving on 1200. it led to me eating really bad stuff that was high in fat, sugar, etc. if i would have just eaten good foods around 1600 calories the whole time i'm sure this may have not happened. i'm not saying your destined for that to happen to you, but that is what happened to me and it looks like also to several others who have commented. my body wanted more and didn't want to starve any more. as soon as i increased calories it did take a while but i got back to normal and now i'm doing strength training as well as do cardio and i've seen a big change already in just a few months. the Auchwitz prisoner/Gollem from lord of the rings look isn't good and that is what i could see happening to myself if i continued on low calories. it is just not sustainable for me.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Okay, so don't eat back your exercise calories and don't eat enough for your body to do it's job. Why are you even posting about it then? Is eating too little working for you? Fabulous. Continue starving yourself then.

^^^ this!!!
    lmbo!! right ... why the heck did she post??

eating more isnt something the posters of mfp made up ... it is a FACT ...

Believe it or not, a weight-loss program that overly restricts calories will set you up for failure, as will a skipped meal. There is a point at which cutting calories will work against weight loss because consuming too few calories (or too few meals) leads to increased appetite and low satiety as your body prevents starvation. You will find it hard to implement your healthy eating goals when you’re feeling hungry and dissatisfied. And you will suffer from cravings, ultimately causing you to fall into under-eating and over-eating cycles.

Your body will make a choice: lose body fat or lose muscle. An inadequately fueled body will choose to drop calorie-burning muscle rather than fat. Excessive loss of lean muscle mass leads to weight loss without improvement of body composition or health. This leaves you frustrated and ever-battling your weight.

the OP will be posting later on down the line ... "EATING MORE REALLY WORKS" LOL!!

Actually the "skipped meals" being bad is a myth. Many on here fast for 16hrs and then power feed for 8hrs. Timing of meals 1,3,or 8 of them a day does NOT matter...... that has been proven to be wrong..... and actually it's calories consumed in a week that matters.....not daily...
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I agree with you!!! I was told the same thing because I range anywhere from 1000-1200 a day and I am losing about 1-2 pounds a week. When I eat more I don't do so well. Everyone is different and I'm not going to force myself to eat just to get over 1200 calories. That's crazy to me. Your body has a way of telling you to eat hungry so if your not feeling it don't do it.

THIS!!!! I totally agree with this statement. I was just telling my husband this last night. I ate a cup and a half of homemade chili with a piece of cornbread, and was stuffed, yet I was still shy almost 350 cals. I told him I was so full from my meal why should I overstuff myself? It seems to be working for me as well, as I am down 25 lbs in 9 weeks.
  • fitby38
    Options
    [/quote]

Actually the "skipped meals" being bad is a myth. Many on here fast for 16hrs and then power feed for 8hrs. Timing of meals 1,3,or 8 of them a day does NOT matter...... that has been proven to be wrong..... and actually it's calories consumed in a week that matters.....not daily...
    [/quote]

ahhh ... if you say so