What was the moment you realized you needed to lose weight?

Options
One morning I was getting dressed and pulled up my pair of jeans and my belt loop ripped! I looked in the mirror and realized I really needed a change. Soo here I am on MFP.

Share your story! When was that "Ah-Ha!" moment that made you realize you needed to change?

Replies

• Crystalball78
    Options
    When I moved into a third floor walk up it started to hit me. But the real moment came when I started to have pain in my knee. I'm only 33 way to young to be having joint pain
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    when i went off a bump in my car and my tummy kinda jiggled.
  • Allisonnleigh
    Allisonnleigh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When this guy (who was obsessed with me-I did not like I'm at all) told me that I could pass for being pregnant after seeing me for the first time in a long time. So rude! But coming from someone who liked me that much and still said it..it hurt. Nt that I wanted his approval but if even HE thought that..I was like nobody is gonna like me this way, I don't even!
  • amandac001
    amandac001 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was looking through pictures from an event, and I was embarrassed by how I looked. I felt like less of a person and decided that I didn't ever want to feel that way again.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I saw a candid shot of myself from my son's birthday. Then as I was driving cross country to my new home another candid was taken of me walking my dog. Both pictures just made me cry. In my minds eye I was a good 2 sizes smaller and I always said the camera adds 10 lbs. Well it might but it does not add chins and rolls. So it was time. I also needed my self esteem back.
  • jillybean0123
    jillybean0123 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I had my "aha" moment a really long time ago. Maybe 8th grade but had decided that I just couldn't do it because I didn't eat THAT bad and I was fairly active. I changed my mind and decided I could do it about 16 months ago while watching "I used to be fat" on MTV with my sister. I thought if those kids could do it then I could at least try.
  • kerryd73
    kerryd73 Posts: 28
    Options
    I picked out an outfit one day I thought was cute. Someone had take a picture directly behind me of playing with some kids. I was just standing and holding a paper. I never imagined THAT was how big I really was. That was part 1. Part 2: I was getting ready for an event one morning and mind you, I have plenty of clothes. But that particular day, I put on at least 5 different things. It was so discouraging that I saw such a "bubbles every where" person in the mirror that day and NOTHING looked right on me. I actually broke down pathetically. That was the day.
  • bugbeenz
    bugbeenz Posts: 31
    Options
    Coming back from holiday (2mths summertime there) and realising I'd put on 5kilos and most of my winter clothes wouldn't fit!.. and looking through family photos since my daughter was born and realising 98% of them were of my daughter and husband because I hate having my photo taken. And realising I ate pretty much double what hubby eats (he is around 10cm taller than me and works 50hours a week, I'm a SAHM :embarassed: )
  • arickim
    arickim Posts: 137
    Options
    Always said when I am done having kids. Been 7 years since I had my son, got my tubes blocked a few months ago, and now I am on my way. I tired using "we aren't finished, cause we are adopting one day." Decided to go ahead and lose the weight instead of waiting till it was to late.
  • dgdailey
    dgdailey Posts: 1
    Options
    When my grandson said he likes playing with my arms because they are so 'jiggly'! :frown:
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I delivered my second child and my weight was 249. My dad weighs 350lbs, my whole life I have been told I'm just like him. I knew if I didn't take care of my weight issues now I would be fighting them for the rest of my life like he is. I also knew I didn't want my husband to have all the fun. I wanted to go sledding and play outside instead of just waiting around in the house.
  • scribe313
    scribe313 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Went for a check-up after years of not taking care of my health. found out I was 320 pounds. The doctor checked my blood pressure became afraid cause it was so high and put me on a ekg machine. I am laying on a table with all these probes on me and attractive women are coming in and out of the room to check on me. I catch a glance at myself in the mirror and I look like a f-ing whale. :noway:
  • 4FitChris
    4FitChris Posts: 10
    Options
    When my doctor said "I'll give you 30 days to get it together, or you go on blood pressure meds." That was 9 months ago.
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I just realised that I wasn't getting any younger and had never been a healthy weight throughout my life, so I wanted to sort it before it was too late. I hope to reach a healthy weight by the time I am 30 (just over a year). I tried fad diets to lose weight but was unsuccessful. I heard about MFP at Xmas 2010, joined January 2011 after my boss had encouraged me to lose 1 stone (14lbs) by my birthday in April 2011, which I did, plus more. So I am really grateful to MFP for making these positive changes to my life!
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    When I knew by heart where every bench in Walmart was...
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    When I realised that all of the weight that my friends had been losing relocated to my stomach and thighs. Also my boyfriends auntie thinks it's perfectly ok to call me chunky, fat, podgy etc. since i started putting on weight
  • cindylou_21
    Options
    When my doc told me I could lower my blood pressure by losing weight AND I love clothes and mine just weren't looking good on me anymore.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    when I went shopping and fit into a size 2 (without alterations) and the beginnings of a muffin top was developing. I stopped it in its tracks!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    When my clothes started hurting! I'd sit down, and the waist would be so tight. And, it hurt to bend over, because of the rolls!
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    #1When I went to the doctor and she told me I obviously have bad joints (i have a lower back strain and tendonitis in both knees) and that pretty much the only avenue left to healing up was weight loss.

#2 -20lbs into my journey I receive orders for Airbourne school in August. I have to pass Army regulations for height and weight. I.e. a female who is 5'11 can weigh 181 max, but I REALLY want to go. So now I'm on a journey to lose 35lbs more