What was the moment you realized you needed to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    it was right after Christmas and I was putting on the same kind of outfit I always wear and just saw it didn't fit as well as it had a few months back. so I striped down and looked in a mirror... all I could think was "EW!!!! how could my husband find THAT attractive?" so I got out the scale and was shocked to see I had almost gotten back up the the weight I was two years before (I had lost 50 lbs after my wedding). 230 was the highest I ever stepped on the scale during though I know at one point I was higher then that. I've been as low as 175 and loved it! but I normally hang out in the 190s. I was so socked to see I was 215! I about cried!

So now? I'm viewing this as my last shot. not more dieting on and off and quitting... I see this as my last chance to get fit. 2013 WILL see me around 150. if I don't do it now I never will so I'm doing it now! there is no more IF. it's WHEN.
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had always thought that I had a cute face despite my fat body. But one day, I saw a picture of my face taken at a party, and I didn't think I looked cute any more. I looked puffy, bloated and tired (which is how I felt). That was the day I decided that I wanted to feel good about myself again.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    "Congratulations! How far along are you"?

I was devistated!!!!!!!!!!
  • rrcaudill
    rrcaudill Posts: 87
    Options
    There are 3 things...1. I still saw myself as 125 pounds and size 6, but pictures showed otherwise. I couldn't believe it was me. 2. When I had to buy new clothes because NOTHING fit me anymore and I was buying XL shirts in the Women's section!! I had just bought L in Juniors 2 years before that when my oldest son was 2. I had 2 more kids within those 2 years, but it was unacceptable to me. 3. My oldest son tells me that I need to have another baby so my belly will go away. That made me realize how he sees me and broke my heart that I had let him down.
  • pjsmom2010
    pjsmom2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I gained 40 lbs during my pregnancy. I breast feed for 4 months so by my 3rd month I was down 30 lbs and thought I was doing great. Well, once I stopped breastfeeding the pounds piled right back on and then some. My highest weight was 214 lbs before I delivered. I went down to 186. Well my AHA moment came when I stepped on the scale last July and I had hit 200 lbs. That was dangerously close to heaviest weight! I decided that I NEEDED to do something. I joined MFP in January and I'm down 18.5 lbs!!!
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    When I realized that my girlfriend who is a little taller and much leaner than I am went on the 17 day diet last summer and I realized that I looked like a miniature beluga whale beside her...

Then most of the family members I know are having health related issues because of poor eating habits and unhealthy, sedentary lifestyles.

My muffin top also was getting outrageous post my freshman 15 which turned into a freshman 50. I couldn't take it anymore and started working out like a beast at the beginning of the year so I can go to the doctor without him saying "oh, well this can't be right since last time..." :grumble: :noway:
  • Monda
    Monda Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My moment came when me and my family went to the lake for a week. We were taking the boat out and I remember not wanting to step on it because I did not want it to sink in. But, I did and the boat sunk down. I was so embarrassed in front of my kids and my husband. We have a pontoon, so it is pretty big. I weighed 250 pounds at the time. I sat in 1 spot the whole time. Afraid. To move. My husband came over to me and put his arm around me and I just cried. It was then I realized he could not even embrace me, because I had gotten so overweight. When we came home, I decided it was time for a change. I lost 38 pounds. But gained some back when my sweet Mama died. I am just now getting back into losing. This is not just a journey for me. This is my life. I will get this weight off.
  • yogiisi
    yogiisi Posts: 3
    Options
    When a close friend who was about the same age died. She was like me and was to "busy" to take care of herself. Love ya Charlotte!
  • ElHombre23
    ElHombre23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When I hit 266lbs was diagonosed with Hypothyroid and put on Blood Pressure meds.... #timeforchangewasnow
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    a guy that i met up for a first date told me that " he wasn't into big girls" :sad: :explode:
  • Judanjos
    Judanjos Posts: 87
    Options
    When I got into nursing school and I ordered a 4x scrub set...and it was so tight the first time I demonstrated a patient transfer the side of my pants tore.

Yeah...that pretty much did it for me. We were going over the nutrition chapter at the time and all the risks and complications with overeating and under eating..

what is it.....oh my Nanda diagnosis- unbalanced nutrition more than body requirements...yeah..I'd say :)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    When I went to my annual physical last year and my doctor said "You know, you've gained 20 lbs in the last year.... " I knew before then, but I was trying to lose and it wasn't working and I just didn't want to believe it, I thought I was doing good.

But I learned a few things 1) food allergies can be part of the problem, resolving them can be part of the solution 2) everybody needs a little outside help, accept it when it's offered (my doctor, knowing money was tight for me, made arrangements with a fellow doc that ran a weight loss program, to get me into the program at a lower cost so I could go) and 3) don't give up, you find encouragement in the strangest places
  • Zadranka18
    Zadranka18 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When i went bridesmaid dress shopping with my BFF (i'm the maid of honor) and the bride and her 8month prego sister had to try on the dresses because i couldn't fit into the sample sizes.... :(
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    my wake-up call was when i read an article by a doctor stating a waist measurement over 40" was dangerous to your health, that i was at risk of diabetes and heart disease.
    Mine was 41". EEKKK!!
    It's now 33-34" and i feel a whole lot better.
  • jameslarson111
    Options
    Could not fly in a helicopter to Catalina Island! 300lbs weight limit.......lol
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I've needed to lose over 100 pounds for over a decade, but for some reason felt hopeless to ever change. Christmas of 2010, I remember sitting in the recliner feeling absolutely miserable, physically. I felt swollen, like a grilled bratwurst just waiting to explode, and this was NOT after a meal. I was to the point of actually beginning to fear for my health, and knew I couldn't continue like that. When I returned home a few days later, I JUST DID IT. Committed to eating better foods and exercising regularly, no matter how much or how little. Fortunately, I have a picture of me in that chair, as a reminder of that very turning point. The other pic was taken two days ago. I've lost about 109 pounds, and have a little over 30 to go, as I estimate.

2012-4-1REWcomparison.jpg
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    well done misterdubs, one hell of a difference.
  • Fourmenandalady28
    Options
    When my string-bikini undies popped at work ....lol! I was forced to go underwearless :(
  • carolanne84
    carolanne84 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When I came back home for my aunts funeral and had several family and friends say you have gained weight or your *kitten* is fat. This in its self broke my heart and my self esteem. So my goal is to be fit and tone by September so I can throw their comments back in their face at my family reunion, going full B%$#@ mode :D and showing them what I am made of.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    No particular moment but my clothes were all pretty shabby and whilst thinking about shopping for new ones i realised that i did not want to buy anything else in a UK size 20 again i wanted to be a smaller size, so i stuck with the shabby stuff and started logging here.