What was the moment you realized you needed to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• gracie2586
    gracie2586 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When i sat down in a plastic lawn chair and it gave out and broke.....yikes!
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    when i bought a porsche convertible and realized i need to look like the guy in the commercial :D
  • nikkiej2012
    nikkiej2012 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    When by Doc said the word "obese" kinda made me sad...and i really dont want my daughter to be talking about my weight ..so thats why i want to get fit..also i have an eye condition where i could go blind but now that i lost 9 pounds and the will keep on coming off with my self determination..blindness in my case is no longer a problem...
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Trying on wedding dresses and none of the store sizes would zip..... Yup lost 35lb's in 4 months before the wedding and another 30lb's after the wedding. I put 18lb's back on over the summer and winter but I'm back and at a 10lb loss. 8 more to go!!!!!
  • KikiD22
    KikiD22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had always been active and involved in sports from the time I was in high school, but that "moment" came back in 2001 when I had just run a 5K race and was attending the health fair they had afterwards. I had my bodyfat measured and was shocked to learn it was over 30%!! That was the turning point for me. Over course of the next year, I went from 230 pounds to 150 pounds at 5'10". I've kept the weight off since then, give or take 5-10 pounds, and now I've decided my next challenge is to train for a figure competition.
  • sondra1723
    Options
    I've always wanted to lose weight, and in the 2 1/2 yrs since my son was born I have gained an extra 55lbs......
    Well, about maybe 12 days ago I pulled out my summer clothes from my storage box and I have 11 pairs of capris, one of them are nice white stretchy ones.......
    I did NOT fit a single pair... it was disgusting and had, yet another, break down about my weight.
    It has gone too far now, it's time to lose the weight because I don't think I'll be able to wait and stay this big until I have the money to get body work done. So I'm gonna do it the old fashioned way and in just about 2 weeks now, I've lost 9lbs. =D
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    When my favorite work clothes stopped fitting. I did not have to worry about weight until I was in my 30s.
  • ged630
    ged630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I had lost about 20 pounds at Christmas time and was feeling really good about myself.....until my 14 year old nephew was getting drinks and asked what I wanted. I said Diet Pepsi and he said...Yeah, you need a diet. :cry:

I just saw him last week and he said.....Oh...you look strange. I will take that as a compliment!!! :happy:

What keeps me on track? My 9 year old son checks every few weeks on my progress. His form of measurement? His arms. Before I started losing he could hardly touch his fingers together. Now we are about 1-2 inches from his fingers touching his elbows which is his goal for me!!!
  • greeneyedredneckangel
    Options
    i have known for a while just would not do it but then the other half told me if i did not lose weight he would leave me completely so i decided for him i would but now i do it for me and when he leaves it will be his loss not mine i deserve this for me not for him
  • Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Ive always knew that i was overweight i would lose weight gain it back lose weight gain it back but last year my uncle came to visit from Jamaica and he told i got very fat:sad: and also one of my close friends told ive never seen your face so fat before:cry: so i was like NO MORE YOYO WEIGHT LOSS im gonna lose weight once an for all and maintain for the rest of my life.. I knew i had to make a change so in Sept 2011 i hit the gym and changed my eating habits so far ive 41lbs with 19lbs more to lose :smile:
  • cwojo
    cwojo Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I could not get out of bed because of a herniated disk and being 60 pds over weight. :)
  • sandeev
    sandeev Posts: 44
    Options
    When all the nice looking clothes I tried on looked better on the hangers than they did on me !!!!!
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    When my blood pressure was recorded at 155/80

It's now - with only a near 20 pound loss - at 117/70
  • TopazCarey
    TopazCarey Posts: 263
    Options
    One of the main reasons I decided I need to lose weight was when I looked at pictures from my 21st birthday party and I just wanted to cry, I looked that bad. I still put it off for three months, but I finally made the commitment to change.
  • greenmanspirit
    Options
    My moment was new years eve. I hurt my ankle and the resulting hardship trying to get around and how exhausted I got by the crutches made me realize that if I can't even take care of myself when I need it, I won't be any good to my loved ones if they need it.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Hate to say this Im probably the few if not only. I started hitting the gym with my wife becouse she was going frequently and had some suspesions she was becoming interested in other men. To be honest I dont know if I could blame her I was sitting at home on the computer eating pizza drinking pop. Also I wanted to be a part of her life and I realized this was becoming a part of her life.
    I started on eliptical and moved to treadmill the excercise really relived the stress, as I had other issues going on my father died recently and some other family issues. I used to run alot in my younger military days. So I started running and excercises primarly as a stress reliever and the change in my diet naturally followed. To make a long story short I lost about 50 pounds without even really attempting to nor realizing it till someone else said something to me. So I never actually made a decision to start excersising and eating right in a attempt to loose weight. I started excersising to allievate the stress in my life and everything else just fell into place. My wife and I are still together and are reconciling our marriage.
  • sarahkraus1982
    sarahkraus1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When my doctor had to put me on stronger blood pressure medication...:noway:
  • mandie0378
    mandie0378 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It started when people would say I had "a pretty face". I always thought that was a backhanded compliment. Does the rest of me just suck? That and having to take blood pressure medicine since I turned 30.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Weighed myself at my brother-in-law's house (we don't have a scale), and I weighed more than I had ever weighed before. That and none of my winter clothes fit me this year :P I can buy new clothes when my old clothes get worn out, but I'm NOT buying new clothes because my clothes don't fit, dammit!!
  • ML0305
    ML0305 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My "OMG...is that really how I look like?" moment was when I was planning my BIG 25th birthday celebration...I put myself on a diet and starting walking...lost a few inches and thought "Damn I Iook good in this dress". Had a blast that night! After uploading some pics, I was shocked to see how big I looked...so I decided I will not look this was way ever again and I bought 30 day shred and found this website. I have lost a total of 28lbs and this year on my birthday...I did look fine! LOL