What was the moment you realized you needed to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    This is how the conversation went about 6 months after i had my daughter.

I picked up a cinnamon pretzel from auntie annes.

Worker: Do you want icing?
    Me: Sure, even though i shouldnt.
    Worker: Dont worry the baby will like it!
    Me: Excuse me??

She said nothing after that.

I laughed to my friend. She probably thought the tears in my eyes were from "laughing so hard" :cry:
    After that i was like nope, screw this.
  • IARXPHD
    IARXPHD Posts: 14
    Options
    When I put on a pair of pants and a non-loose waist button popped off and flew across the kitchen. Feb 17, 2012
  • brandillyn
    brandillyn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The first was when I was trying out my wedding dress and my mother-in-law said, "Pretty, but now you just need to lose that weight so you can look good in it." :\ Then my mother pulled me asice a week before my wedding and made me try it on and told me that "I've been gaining weight uncontrollably and she just wanted to see if it still fit so we didn't have to go turn it into a "fat" girl dress"

My second one was when my husband took a picture of me and I looked.... It doesn't even look like how I picture myself in my head. Serious reality check..
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I didn't have an "aha" moment. I fell off a ladder and injured my back. After about 6 months, I had a "aw s**t" moment where I realized I had started to gain a few pounds. That was about 12 years ago (how time flies) and I slowly went up til I got 80 pounds over. Then I got a "this-isn't-going-away-by-itself" moment when I finally conceded to the fact I HAVE to do something about it. So, here I am, back injury worse. Still ~65 pounds to go, but determined.
  • shaunacaddell
    Options
    When my boyfriend said "you would be so hot if you were skinny."
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    When the buttons on every single pair of my pants flew off over time.
  • mgero212
    mgero212 Posts: 96
    Options
    Birthdays in my family are important and I love to celebrate mine but when it came up I didn't want to do anything and all I wanted to do was hide in my room.
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I actually had a couple in a row. I saw a picture of myself with my in-laws. My husbands, mom, aunt, sister, and our new sil are all short round women. We took a pic together at my brother in law's wedding and, except for the fact that I'm 5 inches taller than they are, I fit right in. I actually looked at that picture and thought "who's the fat chick in my clothes" and then I realized it was me. The next day I bought a scale. About a week later I acutally got ON the scale and realized that I was 191lbs. On our anniversary last year, I also realized that I had been limiting certain..activities because I was afriad of squishing my husband (he's 5'4 and 120lbs). I starting losing the next day and i'm half way to goal.
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I never ever dieted or tried to lose weight. What was fortunate was that I was always at least a little bit active. But I bought a bike to commute to and from school when I moved a few miles away from campus, and one day I was riding my bike and I heard a guy on the street say to his friend, "Fat chick on a bike." or something like that. I guess I realized I was overweight, but I never had thought of myself as "fat".

It's kind of embarrassing. I've never told that story before, but no matter what I try to convince myself is the reason I decided to lose weight and get healthy, that moment is always in the back of my head. I've lost 70 lbs since then. I hate that the 'defining' moment was some *kitten*, but I'm glad I am where I am today. I have no problem wearing a bikini in public now, and that is something I would have never done. Also, I feel amazing. I'm so healthy now. I guess it was my wake up call, so as much as that guy is a total jerk, I guess I should thank him.
  • samsimuk
    samsimuk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know i've allways been big ... but it really hit me when i was sat at the docs being only 24, and hearing them say i have diabeties .. and basically if i didnt pull my socks up i would me medication dependant for the rest of my life ... so ive lost just over 25kg and want to loose another 10kg .. so i can buy more clothes !!
  • ChefTamiCinNC
    ChefTamiCinNC Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When my doctor said I was going to have a stroke or heart attack! She told me she could have put me on diabetes medication that day in her office due to the recent lab results. She has given me 6 weeks to loose weight (10 pounds to begin with by May 1st) and stop drinking soda. She also mentioned that if I wanted to be around for my daughter (who is 16, very active and has no weight issues) that I would need to make a drastic change! I have! Stopped soda cold turkey! Was drinking about a 2 lt. per day of Mt. Dew! Working hard on the 1200 calories per day! Avoiding as much "white" food as possible...which is hard...love the potatoes and pasta! Walking 3-5 times per week. Not sure what to do next or just keep on with what I am doing!
  • rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This pictures from last June when I hit 14 stone:

DSC09832-2.JPG

That arm is massive!! What the hell happened?!
  • TreceLosesWeight
    Options
    When I took my kids to the park, my daughter asked me to do a swing contest with her...then one of my twin boys said "Mommy can't race you because she's too big and gots to lose weight!"

I'm still in shock and think about it during ALL my workouts.
  • Fourmenandalady28
    Options
    When my boyfriend said "you would be so hot if you were skinny."

Now that was so mean :(
  • samsimuk
    Options
    you have definatley made a fabulous start .. keep up ur hard work... and replace soda with shed loads of water, it really makes a difference and keeps u fuller for longer :D
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    When the nurse at the doctors office said... well your weight has gone up 2 pounds (207).
  • samsimuk
    Options
    When my doctor said I was going to have a stroke or heart attack! She told me she could have put me on diabetes medication that day in her office due to the recent lab results. She has given me 6 weeks to loose weight (10 pounds to begin with by May 1st) and stop drinking soda. She also mentioned that if I wanted to be around for my daughter (who is 16, very active and has no weight issues) that I would need to make a drastic change! I have! Stopped soda cold turkey! Was drinking about a 2 lt. per day of Mt. Dew! Working hard on the 1200 calories per day! Avoiding as much "white" food as possible...which is hard...love the potatoes and pasta! Walking 3-5 times per week. Not sure what to do next or just keep on with what I am doing!

you have definatley made a fabulous start .. keep up ur hard work... and replace soda with shed loads of water, it really makes a difference and keeps u fuller for longer :D
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I saw a photo of myself from our beach vacation last summer. I did recognize myself! I knew I had gained weight, but I didn't realize how bad it was until that photo. (It's in my profile as the "before" photo, if anyone is interested in seeing the horror! ha!)

Now I'm looking forward to our annual beach trip this year (coming up in two weeks!) so I can show off my newly THIN bod!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    This Christmas I was putting up my photos on Facebook and ended up cropping my body out of all of them because I looked horrible. I scarfed down my turkey, potatoes, stuffing etc. as much as I possibly could because I knew it would be my last splurge for a long time.
  • pinepl
    pinepl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When I loked at my daughters wedding pictures and realized how FAT I had gotten and now I want look at those pictures.