Significant other not going to work/school when they say the

Options

Replies

• honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Confront them and find out what they're actually doing. Honesty and trust are important, so I'd be really upset about it.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else said, figure out what they are hiding, and why they are lying. Then I'd drop em like a bad habbit.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    depends on where they are going and what they are doing when they get there.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I had a friend of mine pretend to go to work for almost two weeks before his wife caught him. She called the office to ask him some question, and found out he had been let go two weeks ago. He was simply too embarrassed to tell his wife, and was working his butt off trying to find a new job.

What he did wasn't right, but it wasn't the worst possible scenario either. Talk about it.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I had this happen to me. I confronted him & then brokeup with him.
  • KatieDelamatie
    Options
    Ask them! There may very well be a legitimate reason, but it seems our minds always jump to the worse possible scenarios first. I wouldn't sneak around to try to figure something out because that will only cause more turmoil. Hope this helps!
  • cainie19
    cainie19 Posts: 126
    Options
    This happened to me, he said he was going to uni for a whole year and he wasn't. :-( he lied cos he was ashamed he'd failed and I'm still with him.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I used to lie about going to class because I wanted to sleep in, and didn't want to seem lazy lol
  • feistymoon
    feistymoon Posts: 152
    Options
    Is it a regular thing or a one off? I'd see if it's happening consistently before I jumped to any conclusions. There have been times i've told my SO i'm doing something but then my plans have changed. Perhaps they have a doc apt they didn't want to talk about, perhaps it was a freak occurrence. I'd def get my facts straight before confronting them
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    question why my significant other is lying to me in the first place

This... ^^^^
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Immediately go and get tested for STD's...
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would ask them about it... it may be nothing other than maybe they need some time for themselves and feel guilty for taking it. But, trust is the mainstay of any relationship... if they can't be honest with you, then you need to know why.
  • AmandaLAcosta
    Options
    Talk to them.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I used to lie about going to class because I wanted to sleep in, and didn't want to seem lazy lol

"I'd rather be a lazy liar instead" :yawn:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Ask why they felt the need to lie about it in the first place. It could be something really messed up, or it could be something like this:

When my bf and I started dating he worked for a cable company. I knew he didn't really like his job, but it was a job, and this was right around the time everybody everywhere was starting to get laid off, he was thankful he had a job.

A few months go by and he tells me they've started laying people off at his company, but as far as he knew his job was safe (he's a really hard worker no matter what the job). Well one day I got off work pretty early and noticed his car was at my place (we didn't live together, but he stayed at my place a lot...he had 3 roommates lol). When I came inside he told me that he had been laid off the Friday before (this was on a Thursday) and every day that week he'd gotten up and gone out job hunting and he was just so ashamed he'd lost his job he didn't know how to tell me. That was the 100% truth of the matter. I was upset he hadn't told me right off the bat and had mislead me, but I understood the situation.

Just giving a little personal story to say that it's not always what you think. Then again, it could be exactly what you think, them doing something shady. I say confront them, get to the bottom of it.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    BTDT. It's not necessarily because they're doing something they shouldn't...sometimes it's simply not wanting to admit failure at something. I'd have a long talk and then plan on working on rebuilding your trust and letting them work on whatever it is that made them feel lying was the only option...there's life after lying, but it takes work,
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Is it a regular thing or a one off? I'd see if it's happening consistently before I jumped to any conclusions. There have been times i've told my SO i'm doing something but then my plans have changed. Perhaps they have a doc apt they didn't want to talk about, perhaps it was a freak occurrence. I'd def get my facts straight before confronting them

Good point. If it's like one time there could be a totally normal explanation, but if it's a habit, then I'd worry.
  • kao1114
    kao1114 Posts: 51
    Options
    Absolutely talk to them. Do your best to remain calm and non-accusatory at first. Did this happen once or consistently? In other words, are they planning a huge birthday party for YOU and needed the time or are they cheating? Find out the facts before pointing fingers. But once the trust is broken, that's a really difficult thing to repair IMHO. Communication is key. Don't let it eat away at you. Best of luck.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    This is where I would go all P.I. on them confirm what I can then confront then take it from there.
  • DanZiehm
    DanZiehm Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go a different direction than anybody else so far... Sometimes I tell my wife I'm going to work and I will get up, shower, dress, and leave like I'm going to work. I go to Starbucks and get a cup of coffee and wait for her to go to work. Then I go back to the house and work on projects that I need to get done around the house. If I tell her I'm taking the day off, some of her projects will get put on my to-do list. Another time I did this, I stayed home and put up all of the Christmas decorations on the outside of the hosue for my wife. I always tell my wife when she gets home what I've done. She just HATES me using my vacation for house projects. I'd rather ask for forgiveness than permission. It sounds like you have the need for a sit down talk...!!!