What is the WORST protein powder you have had?

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Body fortress = 27 servings of one scoop (140 calories, 26 g protein) or 13.5 of the 2 scoop (280 calories, 52 g protein). At 15.00, that's 55.6 c a serving or $1.11 a serving, respectively.

*there's also coupons out pretty regularly to save anywhere from 1.00 to 3.00 per container which is a significant amount for the penny-wise. :)

Ok, so we are only talking about 40 cents difference here. (90 calories, 12g protein)

BUT what are the health benefits other than protein? What are the equivalent nutrients found in everyday food?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1IH0qu48jo&feature=relmfu

Do you have a side by side nutrient and calorie comparison? I am really wondering, not just trying to "prove you wrong" but I think overall health of the product should be measured not just straight grams of protein.

If you want to compare apples to apples it would be about $.50 vs. $1.50.....Two scoops of body fortress is about double the Body By Vi in calories and protein....That said......I cant find the exact nutrition info for BbV. Feel free to post it here and I will post the same for what I have.
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    I thought her vanilla and chocolate were horrible as well!
    Jillian Michael Vanilla protein powder...gross gross gross
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    my worst was some icky junk i got a GNC. Nectar whey protein isolate. But my best by far is shakeology tropical strawberry
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    1st prize has to be with MGN american isolate- rocky road
    or Optimum Nutrition - caramel toffee fudge
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    NOTE: if you buy protein powder at Costco and it's gross, BRING IT BACK! they will take it back! I brought back rancid meat, and got my money back. I bought beef jerky, and it went moldy before I opened the bag (it was within the sell by date) I got my money back. They take back everything!

I typically stay away from flavored powders, the flavorings may not mix properly with the rest of the ingredients so some people may get a good batch, and others will get a gross batch. Most have way too many sugars or carbs anyway.

I LOVE Now Foods 100% Pure Whey Protein Isolate Powder, unflavored (they do have chocolate, vanilla and strawberry). I mix it with vanilla soy milk and half a cup of blended frozen strawberries. Have mixed it with soy milk and plain greek yogurt and OJ (mmm...creamsicle). I know I get bored with the same flavor every day, so the unflavored stuff lets me design my own shake. The powder is super fine, so It mixes well, no lumps. Just don't mix it with hot liquid.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Body fortress = 27 servings of one scoop (140 calories, 26 g protein) or 13.5 of the 2 scoop (280 calories, 52 g protein). At 15.00, that's 55.6 c a serving or $1.11 a serving, respectively.

*there's also coupons out pretty regularly to save anywhere from 1.00 to 3.00 per container which is a significant amount for the penny-wise. :)

Ok, so we are only talking about 40 cents difference here. (90 calories, 12g protein)

BUT what are the health benefits other than protein? What are the equivalent nutrients found in everyday food?

Do you have a side by side nutrient and calorie comparison? I am really wondering, not just trying to "prove you wrong" but I think overall health of the product should be measured not just straight grams of protein.

If you want to compare apples to apples it would be about $.50 vs. $1.50.....Two scoops of body fortress is about double the Body By Vi in calories and protein....That said......I cant find the exact nutrition info for BbV. Feel free to post it here and I will post the same for what I have.

No, $1.50 for two scoops, 90 cals for two scoops!
    You can look at the exact nutrition info here: http://www.bodybyvishape.com/bodybyvi_nutrition/

Visalus contains way more health then any of the protein whey products I have ever used.

It's not as much a weight loss shake as it is a nutrition shake, it is sooooo full of goodness and health and it is designed so that our bodies absorb all the goodness of the proteins and vitamins.

Replacing your meals with this product is a good form of weight loss for sure, even just to jumpstart your metabolism but it also can also work as a weight gainer and a nutritional supplement if that is more of what you need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0xL6_Y99Bw
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    And I can get the vitamins in the shake from whole foods and a multivitamin for much cheaper.
    I use a protein powder to reach my protein macro. I eat real food for my micros.

Isofuel: 63 cents a serving for 25g of protein. BbV: 1.50 for 13g.

Anyway back to the original topic....
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Reading comprehension is your friend...1 scoop of most protein powders is around 100 calories so you are NOT comparing apples to apple when saying it is only a little bit more....thank you for looking to the macros.....I will look at it tonight when I get home....just got to the gym.

You can look at the exact nutrition info here: http://www.bodybyvishape.com/bodybyvi_nutrition/

Visalus contains way more health then any of the protein whey products I have ever used.

It's not as much a weight loss shake as it is a nutrition shake, it is sooooo full of goodness and health and it is designed so that our bodies absorb all the goodness of the proteins and vitamins.

Replacing your meals with this product is a good form of weight loss for sure, even just to jumpstart your metabolism but it also can also work as a weight gainer and a nutritional supplement if that is more of what you need.

• momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    It's a little disturbing how many of you say..such and such tastes like @**...and I really don't know how you know that lol
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options

No. Not when comparing the calorie/protein ratios of the two products, it is NOT only a few cents. You'd use less than one scoop of Body Fortress to get comparable numbers. Body Fortress, however, is not meant as a meal replacer though. It's just to add protein as a diet enhancer product. Not replacement. However, it can replace a meal if it's incorporated with some other nutrition-bearing ingredients.

For a meal replacement, this product is more similar: http://www.naturade.com/Protein-Powders/Naturade-Total-Soy-Chocolate-NEW-Formula-19-05-oz-Natural-Artificial-p545.html

I get a huge bag of it at Sam's club for 19 bucks.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Muscle milk vanilla flavor. I know some people like it but........... it was just so nasty :noway: :sick:
  • HIITTheChallenge
    HIITTheChallenge Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Brown rice protein it is nasty and gritty, I love the stuff I am using now though. Your muscles actually absorb and use the protein there is a lot of whey out there that is useless with a lot of fillers. I have lost 2lbs this week working on my second hundred and the weeks not over yet! I now look forward to my protein every day... My faves are butter finger, key lime pie, orange cream sickle, chocolate peanut butter cup, banana cream pie, and pistachio salad to name a few!

Check out my blog for more info!

If you want add me and we can help each other.

http://hiitthechallengewithjennifer.blogspot.com/
  • GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It's a little disturbing how many of you say..such and such tastes like @**...and I really don't know how you know that lol

:laugh:
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    GNC Vanilla. It smells like butter or coconut and what ever you mix with it doesn't change that taste. I've tried bananas and strawberries. One day I added chocolate syrup and it didn't do anything. It's just so overpowering. I had a big container so I remember drinking a glass one night so I wouldn't waste it. The empty glass was sitting by my computer and finally I had to move it out of the room. The big container went in the garbage the next day. I didn't want to waste it but it was just bad. ha

I liked that it had more protein than others though. I have the Biochem vanilla now and it's a straight vanilla that easily mixes with fruit, etc.
  • ladylaine
    ladylaine Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    whey
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    ON caramel toffe fudge.... was ok to begin with but leaves a funky after taste and tastes odd with fruit so I resorted to mixing with just enough water to make it flow and would chug it.

Market Pantry Vanilla - lumpy no matter how it is mixed and tastes cheap.
    Whhhhaaaat? I use the market pantry vanilla and love it! Maybe my standards are low since it's my first protein powder, but I never had problems with lumps? /shrug

I love the market pantry vanilla too! I use it in my greek yogurt and as my coffee creamer :)
  • sensationallysassyt
    Options
    Designers Whey~ Biggest Loser Protein Powder in Chocolate~~~ ewwww......Bes has got to be Shakeology!!!~
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    GNC Whey Protein Complex

IT IS SO THICK. UGH, made me gag. And it made me feel sick and it tasted salty.