What's the deal with rice hating?

Options
12346»

Replies

• uberrach
    uberrach Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great post. I actually watched a TED Talk last night about bread and how it's been improperly demonized recently. We're talking about a staple in the human diet for centuries --- but, suddenly, we all think it's awful for us? I think, to some degree, white varieties of rice have fallen victim to the same conceptions.

The wheat we have offered to us today is Frankenstein / mutant wheat. Can't make the comparison over time like you are trying to do.

Right. If you actually watch the talk, that's what she's trying to say. We've become so disconnected to the effort it actually requires to make a fresh loaf of bread and the COST of real ingredients for bread. What she's trying to say is that this bastardized wheat that's going into Wonderbread kind of loaves today is not real bread... but it's put us in a position that we think bread = bad.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think if various ethnic groups can have rice-based civilizations and not struggle with obesity as much as America does, then it can't be too bad for you. Moderation and portion control are key!

Agreed -- moderation and portion control are definately important here. A recent study from Harvard published in the Archives of Internal Medicine showed that consuming white rice regularly more than five times per week increases the likelihood of developing type 2 diabetes by nearly twenty percent. But again, if you are careful with portions and eat in moderation, you should have no problems. Any food eaten in excess can lead to issues.

[Replacing one third of a serving of white rice with brown rice on a daily basis reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes by sixteen percent]

*Archives of Internal Medicine. 2010 Jun 14; 170(11): 961-969.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I really despise people who say "Anything is OK in moderation".

Rat poison. Heroine. Arsenic. Allergens.

Just because that false saying justifies your diet doesn't make it right. Not EVERYTHING is OK in moderation.
  • leika79
    leika79 Posts: 114
    Options
    i :heart: rice, although since joining mfp i have cut down my portion size, my boyfriend laughed the first time i ate a weighed portion, and said if that was a one person portion then i used to serve up enough for six! hence the needs for portion control!!! lol :tongue:
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options

Just because that false saying justifies your diet doesn't make it right. Not EVERYTHING is OK in moderation.

A little "overdramatic" don't you think. Rice is not rat poison, heroine or an arsenic....
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I love rice! I don't think the rice is bad it is just how much a person eats. A half cup to a cup is what I portion out with a meal. If we go to our local Japanese restaurant there is, no joke, around 4 cups on the plate. I wish these places had a correct portion plate, lol!
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I LOVE rice!!!! Am an African so rice has been a big part of my life. I particularly like white rice (Jasmine or sticky rice). I will eat brown rice every once in a while, but most of my Nigerian dishes goes better with white rice. An not sure why many people don't like white rice, but I think everything in moderation is good.
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh I LOVE rice. The only reason I have for "hating" it, is because it's so good I'd rather eat like 3 servings of it than 1 lol. That's really the only reason I try to avoid it more than I used to.
  • greyrealm
    greyrealm Posts: 12
    Options
    I LOVE rice! Admittedly though, I usually stay away from white rice. I love basmati and sticky rice but even with these I usually opt for the whole grain kind. I eat every hour and limit my intake to 1200 calories a day so I look for rices that are lower in calories and higher in fiber. Whole Foods, Trader joe's, and Jons have some interesting varieties.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It reminds me of when people get on my case because all I do (almost exclusively) is run for exercise ... umm ... sorry, deal with it! :) ... I "THINK" it just may be better than the alternative I chose for years and that was sitting on the couch ... I found something I like to do, and that's all that matters as I'm much healthier.

Same goes with nutrition ... is rice the most nutritional food known to man, umm, no. But if I am choosing rice over buttered linguine or a pound of spaghetti, I think I made a good choice ...

People like to judge, that's all ;)

*psst* ... don't tell anyone but ... *looking around* ... I drink diet soda! *quiet gasps heard all around* :)

LOL :laugh:
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I use rice like bread... a carrier for something I really like. So I don't have to have it, but I don't hate it. I just pull out the measuring cup and eat a true serving when I have it. Or if I'm out, I only eat half of what I'm served at most.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Anything white is bad if you are trying to lose weight!!

so cottage cheese is BAD for me?!??!
  • weathergirl320
    Options

i agree!!! that phrase drives me nuts! even worse is "if you dont eat 6 small meals a day you will go into starvation mode!!!!" ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

anyways, rice, yeah i dont eat it. it makes me break out in fat.
  • sapphirewind
    sapphirewind Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My friend and I are both dieting but love to go eat sushi together. Only thing is you don't find long-grain brown rice in sushi except for once in awile in the grocery store. But this is about the only time I eat rice, when we go out. She's on WW I'm just doing this.... I've already tried diets and done well on them and don't feel I need it anymore. Doing so much of what I did on Southbeach, WW and so on now anyway... it has become part of daily life. Looking at my food blog this week I over consume protein and not much carbs. At home i preffer whole-wheat pasta and occasional cereal/flat bread.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Rice is a very good carbohydrate source, better than whole-grain pasta. Pasta's are the real villian of carbs, rice is good.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Anything white is bad if you are trying to lose weight!!

Jesus kills a puppy every time someone falls into a diet myth.

Oh and last time I checked, cauliflower was white...

LOL! Tofu is white too!!