How do you say NO to cake?

Options

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I just saw this article about saying no to cake and they say if you say "I don't eat (cake/sugar/carbs/refined blank)" that you don't feel deprived, you feel powerful.

Personally, I give in for some things, like if they are rare, homemade, or something. I don't want to eat storebought cake, cinnamon roll, cookie, etc. But if it's really good and a rare treat just enjoy it once in awhile.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I just simply say "No, thanks." and continue on my way.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    One does not simply say "No" to cake.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Easy I hate cake
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I don't.... I just burn more calories. Hahaha A peice of chocolate cake is worth burning half the calories to fit it into my calorie limit.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    That's my problem. I see slices of cake, trays of cookies, brownies and ooh cake pops in front of me.. How do you say NO?
    I can't!!

Does anybody have some helpful tips or ideas? I need help with my constant desire for sweets!

Help? :)

Just say no. Really. That simple.

Or carry around your fattest picture with you, and look at it when you think of sweets.
  • tgmshierry
    tgmshierry Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    At work the ladies in my office bring all kinds of wonderful little goodies (cake, cookies, brownies and so many other things.) I have put a sign on my wall saying "Thank you but.. PLEASE DONT FEED THE HUMAN" it has helped for the most part and everyone gets a little laugh.

I agree with those who say dont cut it out just have a little and work it into your day.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I think of the disgusiting sugary film taste it leaves in my mouth and the burnout it gives me when I crash from the sugar rush...

No thanks
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It's hard and I feel like a jerk for refusing the goodies that other people offer. Every once in a while I can splurge for a treat, but I can't say yes every time, especially given the frequency that people bring treats into work. People bring in stuff every day (I'm not exaggerating). I get tired of having to work in those surprise calories that are easily 100-200 cals in just a few bites.

Fortunately I'm able to stay far away from the "goodies" counter here at work. It isn't near my office.
  • RhythmGypsi
    RhythmGypsi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Working at Starbucks must be the pits :P I could probably do without everything except the cake pops. And even then, I might indulge a couple of times a week on them.

I say you buy yourself one of each of these things, and eat them all over the course of the week. Write down notes about the ones that you like best, and the ones that you didn't like all that much. Then, when you get serious cravings, you can rotate all the ones that you like every few days or so. I keep large bars of chocolate by my bed (the kind that you can break down into smaller, rectangular pieces), and it takes me at least 6 months to finish just one bar.

Knowing that the bars are there are enticing, but practicing saying no to them every day makes it so much easier. I don't think I've had candybar chocolate in over two months now. It's a nice feeling :) Good luck to you!

12161155.png
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    i made my own....then ate 7 pieces. i was over my carbs but under calories. woopty doo. for heavens sake eat the cake if your macros allow it. if not...eat the cake anyways then go for a run ;)
  • Kwint
    Kwint Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think about what else I'd have to give up for the day to fit the cake in and still be within my calories.

I think about my blood pressure

I think about wanting to be in the next smallest size of jeans in my multi size closet

I keep strawberries nearby and think of those. If you're at work, put them in your office fridge and treat yourself after the cake party.

I get a cup of coffee and put in some splenda or hazelnut sugarfree flavoring and drink that instead

I think about how the scale will move (or not move) the next time I get on it

I tell myself "I won't have that this time, maybe next time." (This prevents me from feeling deprived, like can't have cake ever.) Just not right now. <--- studies have said this is the most effective kind of self talk. Not now, but on another day I can have it.

Lots of things work. Try some and find one that works for you. After awhile it gets easy to say no to anything.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have been logging for 30 days now. I still eat McD for breakfast now and then. I still take my kids to McD or sonic now and then. I had a cookout with my family and ate baked beans, Chicken, a Hot Dog, AND a burger. I have eaten birthday cake, cookies etc. The thing is, those events are 1-3 times A MONTH. In a month I have dropped 7 lbs and an inch off my waist, hips, and neck. I lift 3-4 days a week and walk on the days I don't lift. I am making a LIFE change and not letting food control me. All of the times I went to MCD or pigged out at the family bbq, I made the choice. I logged it, and I felt good about it.

Saying yes to a piece of cake doesn't mean the food controls you. Its quite the opposite really.
  • mcg6242
    mcg6242 Posts: 84
    Options
    Eat it in moderation, and small portions.
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    I love cake too. Lately I say no to things if they were not something I was craving first or wanted on my own. People bring treats to work all the time and if I ate even just one of everything people offer I would be back where I started. I let myself have treats if I'm craving them for more than two seconds and not just because I saw a commercial or someone brought in cake. Trying to refine my cravings, so they are more about me and my body and not just whatever is placed front of me. I don't want to be like Homer, "mmmmm donuts" every time I see something sweet. I want to choose. Saying no to other people's cake and brownies or whatever it is they bring will make you feel more empowered and give you space to figure out your own exact cravings and fill them. It ain't easy though, I feel your pain!
  • Deathangl13
    Deathangl13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You sound like a fun girl... haha!!
  • Deathangl13
    Deathangl13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    eat the cake anyways then go for a run ;)

This...
  • katzorro
    katzorro Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have a small piece - very small and that way you can enjoy it. Yes, there are calories, but depriving yourself is no way to live. I do weight watchers and try not to do the deprivation! Good luck.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't say NO. I say, "I'd like a small piece." I take small bites, and savor every one of them. That said, if I don't feel like I have the will power to take just that small piece, I don't walk by the area that has the treats, or I bring an apple to the BD celebration (so I still get to eat something). By not denying myself anything, I don't crave it. And often, I've found I really don't want that piece of cake (or other sweet). I've actually said no to homemade chocolate chip cookies that were delivered straight to my desk (and I love a good homemade choc. chip cookie!), just because I was having such a good strong non-sugary day that I wanted to challenge myself to keep it that way. I knew that some other day I'd let myself have a cookie, so I didn't set myself up for a craving fail.
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Eat cake on YOUR terms. I don't eat cake because a coworker baked a cake and brought it to work. I also don't indulge in donuts at the staff meeting just because they are there. There will be many oppotunities to eat cake, so I choose when I eat it. Say no when you can't fit it into your daily calorie goal and when you want to enjoy it, fit it in :)

When I have a hard time resisting when I WANT to skip the cake, I tell myself that I know what cake (donuts, brownies, etc.) tastes like and that I will have it some other time. Living a life without cake... EVER... not for me, but I don't need it every day or week.