Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Having Babies is no Excuse

Replies

• TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 866 Member
    Ladies these are all so great. And my intentions were not to make anyone feel badly about themselves, but to kick us and make us see that our bodies are not ruined after kids. Yes, they may be different, but do not give up...just do something about it.

What helped me a lot, I found a female fitness model builder 45 year old mom of 3. She was just a normal overweight mom and now looks like this.
    Corey-Grenier.jpg

Now, I would have to work out a lot to get this look..but I was like WOW, she is a mom and older like I am and has that body!!! AND was not a professional athlete. Ok...let's get it!!

All of you moms are great!!! ((hugs))
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    I weighed 247 pounds after my son (emergency c-section), and lost all but 10 pounds before my daughter, but still weighed 243 at my last dr visit before my c-section for her. My lowest adult weight is 165 (size 8 at 5'7"), and I'm finally working my way back down. My daughter just turned 3, and I'm working my @$$ off to try to get back to 165. At 190 this morning.

Every day is a challenge. I am 37, and as other mom's have pointed out, it's not as easy as it once was to lose weight! To those of you that are at your GW, I'm so proud of you, and thank you for the continued motivation!
  • Nsdnjbl
    Nsdnjbl Posts: 66 Member
    You look amazing. I Have enjoyed this thread. I couldn't help but notice, but have you had surgery? Your boobs are perfect after kids. A tummy tuck and breast enhancement would definitely help me ( after diet and excersise)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I won't say y'all look amazing for having multiple children. You look amazing. Period. :love:
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    You look fantastic! You gave me hope that the loose skin on my tummy can be tightened!
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!! I have 2 kids under 3, and after my youngest turned 1 I decided I was done being fat. I've worked my *kitten* off, and stopped using lack of child care as an excuse. I started watching what and how much I eat, I work out for at least 30 mins 6 days a week. True I'm still young, but I never had that pop back into shape kind of body and always had a bit of a belly (even before kids). I'm not bragging either, just agreeing with the OP that wait dedication YOU CAN DO THIS!!! We, as moms, work beyond hard and i am proud of the work each and every one of you is doing to better yourself!
    So in Oct I was approx 150 and I looked like this:
    ccac9f94.jpg

This is me a week ago at 123:
    IMAG0245.jpg

You are also a great example of being able to fix the loose skin! Thanks for posting pics!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 866 Member
    You look amazing. I Have enjoyed this thread. I couldn't help but notice, but have you had surgery? Your boobs are perfect after kids. A tummy tuck and breast enhancement would definitely help me ( after diet and excersise)

Yes, I got my boobs done last November. No exercise or dieting was going to fix them. They nursed all six kids from 14 months to 2 1/2 years! I swear, I had a 15 year pregnant or nursing thing going! haha!

So, I got the boobs filled up, but I have not had anything else done. :drinker:
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Since I have made working out a priority, I am more energetic, calmer, less depressed, and more confident all around. That benefits my children and my husband as well as myself.

"My husband"....imagine your life without your husband and still doing what you do plus everything he currently does.

I'm not advocating excuses, I'm just saying everyone has to do this in their own time, it is a personal journey. When my girls were young there just simply weren't enough hours in a day between working, houskeeping, snow removal, bringing in wood, mowing the lawn, fixing things that "typically" a man would take care of, grocery shopping etc. And still trying to make sure you actually have quality time with your children.

You are right that this is a personal journey. Everyone has to get here in their own time. I don't believe that the OP was trying to be judgmental, but only telling mothers, YES, you can still be healthy and look good even after having children.

I understand where you are coming from about not having enough time in the day and having to do everything your husband would do! For years, my husband worked 12.5 hr shifts along with an hour commute to and from work. He was gone from the house for 15 hours on work days, came home and went straight to bed, got up a few hours later and did it all over again. Whatever needed to be done around our house, I took care of it--if I left it for him on his days off, we'd have no time together! I had five kids, homeschooled two of them, had two in diapers--including a baby who was breastfeeding and a toddler who was into everything. In addition, I also worked 1-2 nights a week outside the home--12 hour shifts with a commute just like hubby. I was freaking exhausted. It showed. It was depressing for me to look into the mirror and see what my body had become. I thought there was nothing I could do to change it.

What is different now from then? Nothing, except that I have had *another* baby. I'm homeschooling three of my six now. I'm still changing diapers, dealing with toddler tantrums, and breastfeeding. Hubby still works the 12 hour shifts. So do I (I'm typing this from work--ssshhhh! Slow night. :wink:) We've even taken on a bit more responsibility with teaching a class at church which takes up another weekend a month. I take care of the yard. I keep my house clean. I grocery shop with a cart full of kids.
    But now, taking care of myself is a priority. Exercise is what gives me the strength, stamina, and energy to get me through my days. Thirty minutes a day has not taken away from quality time with my children(like I said, they join me sometimes). I'm setting a good example for them. I'm still a work in progress, but taking that little bit of time for myself every day has changed me from this:
    b15081fe-1.jpg

To this:
    f1e2146a.jpg

No judgement here, just encouragement. If I can do this, anyone can.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    bump
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    You are one brave woman to be pregnant six times. I am pregnant with my first and don't want to ever be pregnant again! My pregnancy has been tough though (Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled and blessed!)

You are very inspiring and you look amazing. I would never in a million years think you have had six children. You're a hot mama!
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Just had to reply. You look great for having 6 kids btw.
    I don't blame having children on my weight.
    I blame my health.
    My internal health and my mental health.
    Health issues are also one reason many do not find their way to healthy living.
    While some may think that it should lead them to it...that isn't always the case.
    Sometimes it is just too stressful to handle it all at once. You have to be able to learn how to deal with all of it first. Then maybe the thoughts of being healthier can creep in and take root.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I had two kids in 2.5 years. I gained a ton of weight with the first one and struggled to get it back off. I can honestly tell you that adjusting to the way my body looked post kids (from my child bearing hips to my belly flab) is what set me back. Looking back, I know that I was depressed at how terrible I thought my body looked after having kids that I threw in the towel. I was disgusted about the way I looked. Add in the fact that I was in an unhappy marriage and I had a lot of stuff working against me.

I've come to accept that I will NEVER have the body I had at 20 years old again (and that is okay...). I'm happy with my size 8/10 body and am happy where I am now. I'm not perfect and that's okay.
  • mali240
    mali240 Posts: 126
    You mamas look great, I am a first time mom and gained 60 lbs during pregnancy, going from 115 to 175, made me miserable. But looking at all you ladiies. . . . I Realize no more excuses, jillian micheals here I come!!!!!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Love this post!

I also want to add that having a c-section is not an excuse. I cringe every time I see a post that says, "I had a c/s so I will always have a belly flap."

<<<<<<<<<<<< I had 2 c/s, one of my babies was a 9lb kiddo and I gained 80lbs with my first pregnancy. You can bounce back, just depends on how hard you want to work. Is my tummy perfect? Heck no! I have stretch marks on my butt & outer thighs. I have loose skin on my tummy....you will not catch me doing a plank at the gym in my sports bra and shorts or bending over much in a bikini, but I have two wonderful kids, so if a little loose skin is the price I pay, then so be it.

I look better post-having-babies than I ever did before! I told my hubby I'm like wine, I'm getting better with age. :)
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 999 Member
    Since I have made working out a priority, I am more energetic, calmer, less depressed, and more confident all around. That benefits my children and my husband as well as myself.

"My husband"....imagine your life without your husband and still doing what you do plus everything he currently does.

I'm not advocating excuses, I'm just saying everyone has to do this in their own time, it is a personal journey. When my girls were young there just simply weren't enough hours in a day between working, houskeeping, snow removal, bringing in wood, mowing the lawn, fixing things that "typically" a man would take care of, grocery shopping etc. And still trying to make sure you actually have quality time with your children.

You are right that this is a personal journey. Everyone has to get here in their own time. I don't believe that the OP was trying to be judgmental, but only telling mothers, YES, you can still be healthy and look good even after having children.

I understand where you are coming from about not having enough time in the day and having to do everything your husband would do! For years, my husband worked 12.5 hr shifts along with an hour commute to and from work. He was gone from the house for 15 hours on work days, came home and went straight to bed, got up a few hours later and did it all over again. Whatever needed to be done around our house, I took care of it--if I left it for him on his days off, we'd have no time together! I had five kids, homeschooled two of them, had two in diapers--including a baby who was breastfeeding and a toddler who was into everything. In addition, I also worked 1-2 nights a week outside the home--12 hour shifts with a commute just like hubby. I was freaking exhausted. It showed. It was depressing for me to look into the mirror and see what my body had become. I thought there was nothing I could do to change it.

What is different now from then? Nothing, except that I have had *another* baby. I'm homeschooling three of my six now. I'm still changing diapers, dealing with toddler tantrums, and breastfeeding. Hubby still works the 12 hour shifts. So do I (I'm typing this from work--ssshhhh! Slow night. :wink:) We've even taken on a bit more responsibility with teaching a class at church which takes up another weekend a month. I take care of the yard. I keep my house clean. I grocery shop with a cart full of kids.
    But now, taking care of myself is a priority. Exercise is what gives me the strength, stamina, and energy to get me through my days. Thirty minutes a day has not taken away from quality time with my children(like I said, they join me sometimes). I'm setting a good example for them. I'm still a work in progress, but taking that little bit of time for myself every day has changed me from this:
    b15081fe-1.jpg

To this:
    f1e2146a.jpg

No judgement here, just encouragement. If I can do this, anyone can.

Nice job!!!!!

I really believe everyone does the best they can and it's everyones choice to either make excuses to get that work out in or not!!! I use to use my house work as an excuse not to go to the gym, but now you can totally tell what I choose just by walking in my house!! :laugh: I get so much inspiration from ppl here!!! Great job everyone!
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Maybe it's not an excuse, maybe it's just a reason as to why we packed on the pounds when we're pregnant and yes, we can do something about it if we really want to!
  • Kerri_is_so_very

Clearly many people make it work and yay for everyone who overcomes whatever they must to get to their goals. I'm doing it now, so I know what it takes....and I also know what I give up to ensure a good balance in my life. Whatever anyone can to support a friend, family member or neighbor is appreciated. Everyone needs their own form of inspiration / motivation, but we all need to find it within ourselves.

Geez Lady can't you just let her have her moment and move on. The OP looks great, and is trying to help others realize they CAN DO IT TOO. Whether they have children or not. Yes, she does have a husband, some of us lucky gals do. Doesn't make our journey any less inspirational.

I love this thread bc it is so easy for us moms to settle and get comfortable with our bodies. We can just blame it on motherhood. I needed this today :)

FYI - this quote was not from the OP and in no way was I trying to take away any inspiration or discredit her in any way. My point was simply to say that any time someone finally arrives at the "I need to take back my body" mission is a good time even if right now is not the right time for all...it is important to support those around you. PERIOD
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Yes the OP does look great, I agree with that, but why try to make people feel guilty and assume they are making excuses? Pregnancy is not an excuse. It is a reason. What about the men who never get pregnant and yet are still overweight? What "excuses" do they have?
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member

And I never used "well I had kids" as my excuse for being over weight, but the fact was I could not fathom being away from children more than the already 9 hours / day required for my job. So dropping them at a gym daycare after being all day at a day care was not an option. It came down to available time and with 2 little ones under 4, managing a home inside and out....you do tend to put yourself last

This is my problem. I have time to join a gym, but I feel awful because my daughter is in school and daycare after school, it seems kind of cruel to pick her up to just throw her in the gyms daycare so I can work out.
    Now that she starts kindergarten this year and will be going to my moms after school, I don't feel so bad about stopping after work and working out for an hour.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    What about the men who never get pregnant and yet are still overweight? What "excuses" do they have?

HA HA!!! I LOVE THIS!!!! And I'm betting most of them don't even have any guilt about it! LOL :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!