Has anyone gone on a Juice Fast?

Options
I just watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" and now I am thinking I want to try a Juice fast this summer. I don't want to go as far Joe did (60 days), but I was thinking I'll try it for 7 and if it's not too bad, then I may go as far as 30 days.

Anyone out there Juice? If so, where did you get your recipes?

Anyone out there go on a Juice Fast? If so, how was it?

9821387.png

Replies

• DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    Haven't done it, as I don't have a juicer and I know doing juicing with my Ninja is a little more involved. But check his website www.jointhereboot.com, they have tons of recipes and advice on different length fasts. They have recipes for doing a juice fast for just a weekend.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've done it for two weeks and I'm not convinced. There are far less restrictive (and, frankly, healthier) ways to consume the right foods for detoxing/cleansing your body, and as for weight loss... forget it! Sure, you'll lose weight during the fast (kinda difficult not to with this kind of deficit), but the moment you stop, you'll pile the weight back on. I started regaining even during the transition days back to solid food, and yes, I did do it right. So, no. I'm not a fan!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    My dad has gone on a juice fast. I believe he lost 20 something pounds and he kept it off :smile:

I also went of a modified juice fast for about a week and I lost around 5 pounds. It was hard the first few days but then I started to feel more energetic! I would defidently recommend it :flowerforyou:

As far as recipes go you just need to play around and find something you like. The best advice I could give it to juice all the colors of the rainbow to get all your nutrients.

Hope it goes well! Happy juicing :drinker:

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Before joining MFP, I went "raw" for about 2 weeks. This website has a lot of help for anyone eating anything raw, including lots of smoothie recipes and juicing ideas. The menus on the left side of this screen cover just about any questions you could have. You can pretty much eat from your blender, without a juicer. I bought a juicer, but it didn't work very well and I threw it away in a fit of frustration. If you are going to buy a juicer, I suggest buying a quality appliance. The one I bought cost about $150 and it was a piece of junk which leaked juice all over if the pulp basket reached anywhere near full. Also, the pulp was very heavy, indicating the juicing process wasn't efficient. One of the benefits of using your blender is you get all the pulp and fiber from the fruit/veggie you are processing.

http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/

Have fun!

Edit: Oh, one more thing. When you go fruit/veggie shopping, buy A LOT. I found myself constantly prepping and processing and drinking. It takes a lot to keep you going without getting hungry. You will need to replenish at least every 2 hours, or so.
  • MMLong3996
    Options
    A friend of mine did the 60-day juice fast after watching that same movie and he lost right at 60 lbs. It's only been about a month post fast so I'm not sure how he's done with keeping it off yet. He's a fanatic about it now, too. :)
  • jamesbiz
    jamesbiz Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've done it for two weeks and I'm not convinced. There are far less restrictive (and, frankly, healthier) ways to consume the right foods for detoxing/cleansing your body, and as for weight loss... forget it! Sure, you'll lose weight during the fast (kinda difficult not to with this kind of deficit), but the moment you stop, you'll pile the weight back on. I started regaining even during the transition days back to solid food, and yes, I did do it right. So, no. I'm not a fan!

Just because you didn't keep the weight off, doesn't mean that a juice fast isn't a good way to detox or lose some pounds or kick your body into gear. So, if you gained weight back, you might have done the juice fast right, but apparently you didn't do the transition phase right. The only weight you should gain after a fast of any kind, is water weight, and the extra food you'd have in your body before they come out the other end.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Just because you didn't keep the weight off, doesn't mean that a juice fast isn't a good way to detox ......

Specifically what toxins are you trying to remove from your body? Isn't that why we have a liver & kidneys?
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    i juice things when i feel sick or when i am on the go and want to avoid buying things like snapple or nestea. never fasted on it but juicing has definitely helped my energy level.
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    SweetNaughtyLips Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Haven't done it, as I don't have a juicer and I know doing juicing with my Ninja is a little more involved. But check his website www.jointhereboot.com, they have tons of recipes and advice on different length fasts. They have recipes for doing a juice fast for just a weekend.

Thanks! I'll check out the website :-)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Just because you didn't keep the weight off, doesn't mean that a juice fast isn't a good way to detox ......

Specifically what toxins are you trying to remove from your body? Isn't that why we have a liver & kidneys?

^ This is the winning question. Unless you're doing this for spiritual reasons, I think it's silly (I don't juice fast for spiritual reasons but as of now it's the only reason I can think of that's remotely legitimate). You're not accomplishing anything related to toxins and any weight loss that you're inducing is due to creating a large deficit. You could do this with real food.
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    I've never done juice fasting, but I've done water and tea fasting, and those always make me feel loads better, even after only a few days.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Dieting, detoxing, etc. with juice fasting is still a fad way to "get healthy" and "lose weight". Fads don't work. Buck up. Lose weight by calorie deficit and exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    You're way better off doing the Victor Secret Model Show diet then a juice diet. Their diet two weeks prior to a show is to drink only protein shakes everyday with a few supplements but they also hit the gym twice a day.
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    Options
    If you are going to buy a juicer, I suggest buying a quality appliance.

http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/

Have fun!

Edit: Oh, one more thing. When you go fruit/veggie shopping, buy A LOT. I found myself constantly prepping and processing and drinking. It takes a lot to keep you going without getting hungry. You will need to replenish at least every 2 hours, or so.

I am going to do some research before I buy my juicer and I'll check out the website you mentioned. As for the replenishing, I already eat every 2 - 3 hours as is, so that should not be a problem :smile: Thanks for your advice!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have not and personally I think it's a fad. Where is the proof that there are "toxins" in your body that you need to get rid of? There are none. As another poster said, that's what you kidneys and intestines are for. Not only that but you have to supplement your diet with fiber because you will not get an adequate amount of fiber from the juice. You more than likely will gain the weight back after the diet is done and not because you did the "transition phase" wrong but because well, you're not eating any thing! I know someone who was gung ho about doing this juice fast for 90 days. After a few days she was adding in real food for snacks. After a week she was adding real food with the juice. After two weeks she was done.

Do your research before you jump on the "Juice Fast Wagon". I personally prefer to eat my foods.
  • Love2HikeMT
    Options
    Every Spring I do a 14-day detox program which includes juice fasting. My favorite juice is a combination of beet-apple-carrot ~ very yummy. You can Google "Juicing Recipes" and find lots. My detox program consists of more than just juicing. It has a 14-day schedule with morning meditation, mineral baths, herbal teas, journal writing, massage, walks, etc. And, absolutely NO TV, NO RADIO, NO NEWSPAPERS, NO TELEPHONE...relaxing music is okay. After the two weeks I feel like a new person ~ and, have usually lost 2-4 pounds.

I agree, buy a top of the line juicer. I have an Omega ~ it is awesome. And, yes, buy LOTS of veggies ~ all organic!! ~ they go fast.
  • woopidydoo
    woopidydoo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love my juicer.
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    Options
    juicing has definitely helped my energy level.

I hear that often! :happy:
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've done two 30 day juice fasts & I loved it & I loved the results. Not only weight loss but my blood pressure went done, I have hypertension, my cholesterol also went down & I'm sure I've also had some other things improve internally. Now I will say if your only purpose is for weight loss if you don't come off of the fast properly you will gain the weight back quickly but I guess that's with any "diet" you do. As far as juice recipes I made up my own by experimenting. Some good some not so good.

Do I recommend juicing? Yep I most certainly do. I believe our bodies need a break from ingesting & digesting whole foods. Oh yeah I also did a colon cleanse(pill form) during the 30 days & had a colonic on the last day. You feel refreshed, free & light at the end of the process. I could think more clear also. I almost felt euphoric! It's an awesome feeling after you get past the first 3 to 5 days. I say go for it!!!!!
  • prettygirmel
    Options
    My brother in law did the juice diet and has lost over a 100 lbs this year. He is toldly sold on it, he even took his juicer, blender, fruits and vegetables, fresh herbs on vacation last week. He and his wife have become juicer and vegetaters. He is set on it for life,, goes herbs and some of his vegetables, goes to the fresh market to get his produce. He was over 400 lbs. and it workers for him, he got on untitube and researched it all before doing it. It is not for me, he try to educate us last week on the importance of it and getting off red meat. I think it is what you can live with, good luck