Has anyone gone on a Juice Fast?

Options

Replies

• teenytinii
    teenytinii Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I bought a juicer after watching that movie. I juiced for 14 days and kept all the weight off - It was a perfect jump start to my weight loss and it opened my eyes to a lot of new veggies that I never had a taste for before. Now I juice a "mean green" in the morning :)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Did a six day juice fast a couple of months back. I lost 8-10 lbs and didn't gain it back. :D
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I regret purchasing the $250 juicer because I juiced for a few days and then quit. I might go back to it at some point but for my goals juicing isn't practical.

Start off with a cheap juicer that gets the job done if you're really set on it. Later, you can upgrade.

I was inspired by "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" as well (to give you an idea where I came up with that wonderful plan).
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Dieting, detoxing, etc. with juice fasting is still a fad way to "get healthy" and "lose weight". Fads don't work. Buck up. Lose weight by calorie deficit and exercise.

Almost every spiritual tradition has a long history of prescribing fasts for a variety of reasons, including health. Paracelsus, considered the father of modern medicine, called fasting "the physician within." It has been practiced throughout the world since the beginning of civilization. Fasting may not be your pick, but it's certainly not a fad.
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    SweetNaughtyLips Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Dieting, detoxing, etc. with juice fasting is still a fad way to "get healthy" and "lose weight". Fads don't work. Buck up. Lose weight by calorie deficit and exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I am losing weight right now by my calorie deficit and exercise!
    I am not looking for a fast and unhealthy way to lose more weight, I am done with FAD DIETS! They do not work, you lose the weight and usually gain it back and then some once it is over. I am looking into juicing as a healthy way to cleanse your body and was hoping to find others out there whom have done it so that they could share their experience, but thanks for your comment.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have been juicing for about 2 weeks.. not a fast just adding it my daily life.. and I love it.. it makes me feel refreshed and energized. I am currently using a blender and straining through a cheese cloth which is a pain but it works until i can get a juicer. my husband and I are going to do a 10 day juice fast soon . I really can't wait. I have found that most recipes have too many carrots for my taste..I use only 2 and as long as I have pineapple or 2 apples I can put just about anything in it. the reboot website has a lot recipes to try.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I am losing weight right now by my calorie deficit and exercise!
    I am not looking for a fast and unhealthy way to lose more weight, I am done with FAD DIETS! They do not work, you lose the weight and usually gain it back and then some once it is over. I am looking into juicing as a healthy way to cleanse your body and was hoping to find others out there whom have done it so that they could share their experience, but thanks for your comment.

But what you should consider is that the documentary you saw was not based entirely on scientific fact, and you actually do not need to cleanse your body by drinking juice. You will not be removing any additional toxins simply by drinking juice.

Consider that a well done documentary that isn't based on truth is only going to mislead you. You should entertain the idea that perhaps what you saw wasn't actually correct and you're basing dietary decisions on it.
  • hereicomeskinnymini
    Options
    Ive done it before but only for one day at a time, just because its hard not to eat dinner with my family. Overall, its great. Those days though, i gained soo much weight. Of corse it was water weight cause thats all im inducing. The day after when you weigh yourself, don't be mad because you gained a pound. You probally still have some water weight left over, depending on how much you drink. I always lose a pound when i do this, it really clenses out your system! Make sure to equal the amount of juice you intake with the amount of water drink. 8 cups of wate ,8 cups of juice. Make sure its 100 percent fruit or vegie juice with no added sugars! :happy:
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    Options
    Not only that but you have to supplement your diet with fiber because you will not get an adequate amount of fiber from the juice.

Do your research before you jump on the "Juice Fast Wagon". I personally prefer to eat my foods.

I posted this topic to hear from people who have knowlege towards this subject matter.

Fiber was a concern of mine as well. I am also concerned about no protein. I thought protein was very important for your body.
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    Options
    Every Spring I do a 14-day detox program which includes juice fasting. My favorite juice is a combination of beet-apple-carrot ~ very yummy. You can Google "Juicing Recipes" and find lots. My detox program consists of more than just juicing. It has a 14-day schedule with morning meditation, mineral baths, herbal teas, journal writing, massage, walks, etc. And, absolutely NO TV, NO RADIO, NO NEWSPAPERS, NO TELEPHONE...relaxing music is okay. After the two weeks I feel like a new person ~ and, have usually lost 2-4 pounds.

I agree, buy a top of the line juicer. I have an Omega ~ it is awesome. And, yes, buy LOTS of veggies ~ all organic!! ~ they go fast.

Thanks for sharing!
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    Options
    I love my juicer.

I can't wait to get one, my coworkers love theirs as well and they say it was a great addition to their kitchen!!
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    Options
    I've done two 30 day juice fasts & I loved it & I loved the results. Not only weight loss but my blood pressure went done, I have hypertension, my cholesterol also went down & I'm sure I've also had some other things improve internally. Now I will say if your only purpose is for weight loss if you don't come off of the fast properly you will gain the weight back quickly but I guess that's with any "diet" you do. As far as juice recipes I made up my own by experimenting. Some good some not so good.

Do I recommend juicing? Yep I most certainly do. I believe our bodies need a break from ingesting & digesting whole foods. Oh yeah I also did a colon cleanse(pill form) during the 30 days & had a colonic on the last day. You feel refreshed, free & light at the end of the process. I could think more clear also. I almost felt euphoric! It's an awesome feeling after you get past the first 3 to 5 days. I say go for it!!!!!

I have high cholesterol and I am hoping this will help me bring my levels down. I want to be medicine free; I hear taking Lipitor long term is not a good thing!

Thanks for sharing!
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    Options
    Thanks for all the great comments everyone! I appreciate each of you for taking the time to share :happy:
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've done it...when I had the flu and couldn't eat solids. Seriously...this is a quick fix and nothing more. This is not a lifestyle. Your choice though.
  • Michelerainville
    Options
    i love my juicer too - beats the horrible liquids found in the grocer posing as ' juice'.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've done it...when I had the flu and couldn't eat solids. Seriously...this is a quick fix and nothing more. This is not a lifestyle. Your choice though.
    It's not meant to be a "lifestyle." It's a pre-planned period of fasting.

There is a long history of fasting for a variety of reasons including spiritual and health reasons. No one fasts for their entire lives. There's nothing wrong with taking a few days or few weeks away from food. It helps to regain control. Look at how many people post on MFP about being food addicts. Taking an emotional/physical break away from food can be beneficial. It's not forever.

Do a historical study on fasting. It's not about starving yourself to lose weight. Let adults make their own choices.
  • jamesbiz
    jamesbiz Posts: 22 Member
    Options

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Yeah, fasting has been a fad, for, oh, 4000 years or so..... Fads don't work after all. Calorie in Calorie out is a pretty big fad too, yet people seem to love it still.
  • jamesbiz
    jamesbiz Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Just because you didn't keep the weight off, doesn't mean that a juice fast isn't a good way to detox ......

Specifically what toxins are you trying to remove from your body? Isn't that why we have a liver & kidneys?

Yeah, and people can never eat too much sugar. Isn't that why we have a pancreas? Weird, people still get diabetes....
    People don't get drunk, or get alcohol poisoning either. Isn't that why we have a liver?
    Sorry to sound so sarcastic, lol but come on, can you see the point I"m trying to make? I've heard that " we have a liver and kidneys" for ever. Well, we have a body, and we shouldn't be getting diabetes, and cancer, and heart attacks, and etc. Yet despite what our bodies CAN do, we seem to still get those things. I am in fact a firm believer that are body can heal anything, but we still have to give it some help.

Our bodies were developed over millenia, in a clean environment. I'm not one of those health freaks who thinks the world is going down the tubes. But, our current bodies are living in an industrial culture FAR away from the world which created evolved us. We put things in our water, air and food that weren't even around 200 years ago. Why is it so hard to believe, that our bodies possibly aren't meant to handle all the crap we put into it? Why is everyone getting so sick and fat? Our bodies were have organs that handle all the bad stuff, right?
  • caramelbaloney
    Options
    Not only that but you have to supplement your diet with fiber because you will not get an adequate amount of fiber from the juice.

Do your research before you jump on the "Juice Fast Wagon". I personally prefer to eat my foods.

I posted this topic to hear from people who have knowlege towards this subject matter.

Fiber was a concern of mine as well. I am also concerned about no protein. I thought protein was very important for your body.

Don't listen to misinformed ideas about protein and fiber. Vegetable juices can be full of protein (especially broccoli) and soluble fiber. Think 5-10 g protein and 5-20 g fiber per cup if you choose wisely. The only thing left in the pulp is insoluble fiber. If you are really concerned about this, you can blend instead of juice. I tried a 3 day fast to cure insatiable sugar cravings (though even vegetable juices have ample sugar). It did work in the short term, though one cookie weeks later and I was off the wagon. So I sort of concluded that fasts were not beneficial. However, I do think adding fresh vegetable juices to a healthy diet can be beneficial, as you are consuming more vitamins in that juice than can normally be eaten in whole food. That may not be necessary if you aren't vitamin deficient, though I can add that I have far more energy when I drink vegetable juice regularly.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Just because you didn't keep the weight off, doesn't mean that a juice fast isn't a good way to detox ......

Specifically what toxins are you trying to remove from your body? Isn't that why we have a liver & kidneys?

Yeah, and people can never eat too much sugar. Isn't that why we have a pancreas? Weird, people still get diabetes....
    People don't get drunk, or get alcohol poisoning either. Isn't that why we have a liver?
    Sorry to sound so sarcastic, lol but come on, can you see the point I"m trying to make? I've heard that " we have a liver and kidneys" for ever. Well, we have a body, and we shouldn't be getting diabetes, and cancer, and heart attacks, and etc. Yet despite what our bodies CAN do, we seem to still get those things. I am in fact a firm believer that are body can heal anything, but we still have to give it some help.

Our bodies were developed over millenia, in a clean environment. I'm not one of those health freaks who thinks the world is going down the tubes. But, our current bodies are living in an industrial culture FAR away from the world which created evolved us. We put things in our water, air and food that weren't even around 200 years ago. Why is it so hard to believe, that our bodies possibly aren't meant to handle all the crap we put into it? Why is everyone getting so sick and fat? Our bodies were have organs that handle all the bad stuff, right?

If your liver, kidneys, and bowels aren't getting rid of toxins, what scientific proof is there that juicing or colonics can remove toxins? Yes, I believe people can feel better, lighter etc but that does not mean they have detoxified their body.