Has anyone gone on a Juice Fast?

Options

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Juicing DOES work, I'm a witness of it. I NEVER exclusively juiced, but when I first started on here last year around this time, I started because I had a horrible skin rash suddenly come on me--all OVER my body:sick: . When I went to the doctor, I got the diagnosis that I was OBESE (I always thought I was just kinda plump--but NEVER :noway: did I EVER consider myself obese, but obese I was:cry: ) and they didn't know why these hideous SCARY rashes/bumps/blotches--really UGLY pot marks were developing all over my body!

I saw the documentary FS&ND and when I heard about his skin mess, I said I'll try that too. What I did was instead of ONLY drinking juice, I juiced for two meals and had a big calorie so-called CLEAN meal and three so called "clean" snacks/smaller meals. I cut out all coffee, diary, meats, junk/fast foods soda and replaced them all with organic foods and meat substitutes instead--eating poll and troll caught wild Tuna and Wild Alaskan Salmon and Wild caught Fish ONLY. I did NOT replace processed junk foods with processed vegan junk foods. In 60 days or so, I not only lost almost 20 pounds, but the inches lost was nothing less than amazing! I went from a size 20W jeans to a size 14W-16 and from a size 1X or XXL top to a medium top. My BodyFat% went down tremendously--from in the high 40's to 29-30 BF% (according to my home scale--NOT scientific--just a bodyfat % home scale), but i could literally see and feel the DRAMATIC results in just 60 days or so....Amazing!!! Most of the weight came off my tummy, upper body and even my feet went down a whole shoe size. Even my eyesight improved and things weren't as blurry/I didn't need to wear my glasses as much. The mysterious bumps totally disappears in about two weeks of my juicing and eating clean. That's the good news...

The bad news...I got sooooo much energy from juicing and eating "clean" that I started working out like CRAZY, I even joined a tae kwon do class. In my working out, I over did it and hurt my foot. I still went to Tae Kwon Class and hurt my knee. Then I stopped working out completely, went back to a S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) and regained ALL the weight and most of the inches back in about 6 months :grumble:

Moral of the story--Juicing does work (as a matter of fact, I'm currently on a 90 day juice/eating clean bootcamp--I'm starting out juicing one replacement meal and as my body gets accustomed to the new way of eating/drinking--I'll bump it up to two meals per day BUT I'll be eating one higher cal meal and eating 3 clean snack/small meals too) but it must be done responsibly--FOR ME, anyway. I just posted a thread on this subject here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/916037-responsible-juicing
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    fasting is realty about diverting energy that is normally used for digestion and directing that energy towards working on repair of your body.

The body doesn't need to divert energy from digestion. It is another basic function of the body. We are designed to eat. Saying otherwise is ludicrous.
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I did ten days twice. Lost a pound a day so, 20 pounds. Felt great while fasting!
    Gained it all back :sad: It really works to permanently change eating habits for some like my neighbor who did 60 days twice:tongue: But for me, it wasn't the right thing. I still follow Joe Cross, the Reboot guy from "Fat, sick and nearly Dead" fame. He really got me to pay attention to my eating and I would juice now once a day now except I broke my juicer. I bought a cheap one because I didn't know if I would like it, so now I will buy a good one!!

Good luck! Juice on:smile:
  • helplesslyhappy
    Options
    Juice fasts aren't about deficits...not entirely.

JFs are about enzyme production, raw digestion, etc...it is not a fad...Whoever heard of raw food lifestyle being a "fad"??? We've been on a raw vegetable and fruit diet for hundreds of thousands of years and I can't call that a "fad".

Is it for everyone? No, especially if you are not motivated enough for it or willing to transition to a better, healthier way of eating afterwards. But it is great for energy levels, renewed senses. There's a lot of research on the effect of vegetable juices versus other food items and just googling will help with that.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

JFs are about enzyme production, raw digestion, etc...it is not a fad...Whoever heard of raw food lifestyle being a "fad"??? We've been on a raw vegetable and fruit diet for hundreds of thousands of years and I can't call that a "fad".

Raw digestion? There is one kind of digestion. The kind where your body digests food. Also, I'm pretty sure our ancestors did not subsist on solely juice for extended periods of time. Whole and solid foods were a natural part of the diet during the days of yore. They should be as well today.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I'm going to let you in on the best kept secret that's better than any cleanse or fast out there. It's called the, "Eating a Balanced and Healthy Diet", diet. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Is it for everyone? No, especially if you are not motivated enough for it or willing to transition to a better, healthier way of eating afterwards. But it is great for energy levels, renewed senses. There's a lot of research on the effect of vegetable juices versus other food items and just googling will help with that.
    Raw food diets are a recent fad. We learned to cook soon after we harnessed fire. We also learned how to dry and pickle foods, for preservation in lean times. We also learned how to husband animals and cross-breed promising plants like the ones you eat now. It's why we're here.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Just because you didn't keep the weight off, doesn't mean that a juice fast isn't a good way to detox ......

Specifically what toxins are you trying to remove from your body? Isn't that why we have a liver & kidneys?

^ This is the winning question. Unless you're doing this for spiritual reasons, I think it's silly (I don't juice fast for spiritual reasons but as of now it's the only reason I can think of that's remotely legitimate). You're not accomplishing anything related to toxins and any weight loss that you're inducing is due to creating a large deficit. You could do this with real food.

HOw to you know? Your not accomplishing anything is very closed minded. Try to be more supportive.
  • helplesslyhappy
    Options

Raw digestion? There is one kind of digestion. The kind where your body digests food. Also, I'm pretty sure our ancestors did not subsist on solely juice for extended periods of time. Whole and solid foods were a natural part of the diet during the days of yore. They should be as well today.

There is only one kind of digestion, but there are multiple kinds of foods being digested and what I mean is that JFs mean digesting only raw foods (fruits/vegetables) versus other kinds of fasts or diets...

Of course they didn't subsist on solely juice, but they did subsist on fruits and vegetables...a juice fast is a more streamlined version of what our ancestors were doing and it isn't even a permanent way of eating; it's just a short term change of pace for the digestive system as well as the entire body...

Whole foods are entirely natural for digestion by humans but that doesn't make juice fasting a fad...a temporary diet change? Yes, but not a fad.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Raw food diets are a recent fad. We learned to cook soon after we harnessed fire. We also learned how to dry and pickle foods, for preservation in lean times. We also learned how to husband animals and cross-breed promising plants like the ones you eat now. It's why we're here.

We also learned how to build bombs and machines that eliminate the need for us do to practically any activity but breathe, sleep, and eat. Doesn't make it all right.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

There is only one kind of digestion, but there are multiple kinds of foods being digested and what I mean is that JFs mean digesting only raw foods (fruits/vegetables) versus other kinds of fasts or diets...

Of course they didn't subsist on solely juice, but they did subsist on fruits and vegetables...a juice fast is a more streamlined version of what our ancestors were doing and it isn't even a permanent way of eating; it's just a short term change of pace for the digestive system as well as the entire body...

Whole foods are entirely natural for digestion by humans but that doesn't make juice fasting a fad...a temporary diet change? Yes, but not a fad.

And this is where you'll find I agree with you. I think juicing can be a great addition to a healthy diet. It is no substitute for whole foods, though, and certainly not for lengthy periods. Switch out a meal a day with it, sure. All juice all the time at the complete exclusion of food? Certainly not.
  • helplesslyhappy
    Options

No, they aren't recent...you just answered yourself! We were consuming raw foods long before we had fire...Fire was a "fad" during its own era, but we don't consider it a "fad" because that's derogatory in a way...Juice Fasting is good for you, short term, and obviously you revert back to eating a healthy balanced diet...

I don't even get why there is so much against Juice Fasting. If you don't like it, then you don't...that doesn't make eating solid foods healthier. And you can never prove it either so this is ridiculous.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    And you can never prove it either so this is ridiculous.

One doesn't need to prove that living on a liquid diets for your entire life is a bad thing. That's a given. That is also pretty easy to follow that, as well, it's not good for extended periods of time, either.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Just because you didn't keep the weight off, doesn't mean that a juice fast isn't a good way to detox ......

Specifically what toxins are you trying to remove from your body? Isn't that why we have a liver & kidneys?
    This^
    sustainable meals are the way to go imo, I use to drink a juice a day or so, but I can't see spending all that money on fruits n veggies n having all that fiber go to trash! too expensive n I have an omega juicer(vry nice- almost dry pulp) that is collecting dust, because it was just costing too much to use. I'd suggest a great blender, you can fit in some extra greens with yummy fruity shakes(or protein shakes or what ever) and eat the rest of your veggies. This way you get ALL of the nutrients and sustenance that you're paying for! Good luck.
  • helplesslyhappy
    Options
    Personally, I haven't done a juice fast in years. Was it a positive experience for me? Yes. I did lose some weight, but it was more of an energy level and alertness change that left the greatest impression on me.

Will I do it now? Not that I would intentionally do it, but I will replace meals with a healthy juice once in a while.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Personally, I haven't done a juice fast in years. Was it a positive experience for me? Yes. I did lose some weight, but it was more of an energy level and alertness change that left the greatest impression on me.

Will I do it now? Not that I would intentionally do it, but I will replace meals with a healthy juice once in a while.

I'm glad you mentioned "alertness" because mine was enhanced tremendously too, it was like a mental fog or something was lifted as I changed my eating and included juicing in my daily consumption. The other thing that happened to me was I was having aches and sharp pains in both of my hands--after a month or so of juicing and eating clean...it went away!
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Check out rawrawlife.com. She talks about how to juice properly/healthily and how to prepare for a juice fast. She also has an ebook with 101 juicing recipes. There is an app version too. Just make sure you do you a lot of research first. The site I suggested is reliable as it's about health not weight loss. Others are not healthy and can cause more damage than good.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    This thread is just horrible. Cleanses are completely pointless at best and quite dangerous at worst. There is absolutely no point in excluding all the other healthy and nutrition food options available. Your body doesn't need to "reset", or "detoxify". These are buzz words created by the diet and cleansing industry to sell you their misguiding programs. Any weight lost on a juice fast is because it's a FAST, ie; you're barely taking in any calories! You can do this with normal food too but neither option is healthy or safe! Why is it so difficult for people to just eat properly??
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Check out rawrawlife.com. She talks about how to juice properly/healthily and how to prepare for a juice fast. She also has an ebook with 101 juicing recipes. There is an app version too. Just make sure you do you a lot of research first. The site I suggested is reliable as it's about health not weight loss. Others are not healthy and can cause more damage than good.

This is a nice site, I really liked her article on walking too! Thanks for posting.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I did a 30 day juice fast over the holidays, throughout December and half of January. Juice has become my medicine. I cannot say enough great things about it. It moves my weight like nothing else has been able to. It is not a quick fix for me. It gives me tons of vitamins and minerals and I can definitely see myself juicing for the rest of my life. It makes my skin, hair and nails feel fantastic. I highly recommend it!! I think very carefully about what I attempt to do and cannot understand why people get so nasty, defensive and negative about it. I have a suspicion it is because they are too weak to try it themselves. In fact I would like to see some of their diaries and see how many fruits and veggies that they are actually eating?? My body feels it's best when I base my calories off of fruits and veggies whether I am juicing them or eating them. I consider myself a very reasonable person and I am the healthiest, cleanest eater I know. I am also the healthiest I have ever been in my entire 41 years on this planet. don't knock it till you try it. Remember "Green eggs and Ham" and "Sam I Am".