Has anyone gone on a Juice Fast?

Options

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options

haha oh yes and all the food you eat is completely natural.

Of course not. (Or, if the Reese's I just ate is natural, then I have died and am writing this to you from heaven.) But eating is a natural thing. A nesscary thing. We are bred, designed, and in fact, must eat or we will DIE. There is no getting around that, no diet approach that can overthrow that fact. If we do not eat, we die.

As such, I find myself baffled by people who choose not to eat, especially for long periods of time. A day, two, perhaps three juicing - I think it's silly, but it can't really hurt you. A week or more? All in the idea of "cleansing your system?"

Perhaps apply that theory to other systems of the body. Stop breathing to give the lungs a break. Don't bleed to give the blood vessels a break. Don't urinate in order to give our waste processes a break. Sounds silly, doesn't it?

I don't understand why people feel that the digestive system is some magical creature that is not subject the same biological laws as the rest of our body.

Also, you are making the mistake of believing I am preaching against juicing at all. I'm against juicing for days on end without food. Drink a gallon of juice a day if you'd like - it's probably tasty. Just do so with food.

Quirky just let the lady do what she wants. It's her body, let her toy with it as she will. As for others who may be reading - I suggest really discussing things like this with your physician and with a Registered Dietician if able. Also know that your body detoxes and cleanses itself just fine and if it didn't - that's definitely something to go to the hospital for.

But, overall, there will be many who don't support things like this because of their personal experiences, coming to the realization and acceptance that there is nothing that is going to jump start something, no miracle plan or pill, etc that will shed the fat or suddenly bestow upon you new habits.

But..hey..sometimes you just have to make your own mistakes. I just hope your mistakes never lead you to the point where you do harm to yourself. I also hope that you don't ragequit and therefore truly failing yourself in your goals. :flowerforyou:

The point is that it isn't a mistake and it has changed my life for the better. I am not screwing up my body. I have a doctor as I stated and she checks my blood regularly. But if you want to stick to your overprocessed food diet, that is just fine with me. I will meanwhile be enjoying all my health benefits.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    Nope. Ever since I decided to get healthy and fit, I never saw a need to willingly screw up my body with things such as juice fasts. But if feel that malnutrition and suffering can help you somehow, have at it.

Again, ignorance is bliss apparently

Right? But sometimes the ignorant have to learn from themselves, I suppose.

some never learn I guess.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Of course not. (Or, if the Reese's I just ate is natural, then I have died and am writing this to you from heaven.) But eating is a natural thing. A nesscary thing. We are bred, designed, and in fact, must eat or we will DIE. There is no getting around that, no diet approach that can overthrow that fact. If we do not eat, we die.

As such, I find myself baffled by people who choose not to eat, especially for long periods of time. A day, two, perhaps three juicing - I think it's silly, but it can't really hurt you. A week or more? All in the idea of "cleansing your system?"

Perhaps apply that theory to other systems of the body. Stop breathing to give the lungs a break. Don't bleed to give the blood vessels a break. Don't urinate in order to give our waste processes a break. Sounds silly, doesn't it?

I don't understand why people feel that the digestive system is some magical creature that is not subject the same biological laws as the rest of our body.

Also, you are making the mistake of believing I am preaching against juicing at all. I'm against juicing for days on end without food. Drink a gallon of juice a day if you'd like - it's probably tasty. Just do so with food.

Quirky just let the lady do what she wants. It's her body, let her toy with it as she will. As for others who may be reading - I suggest really discussing things like this with your physician and with a Registered Dietician if able. Also know that your body detoxes and cleanses itself just fine and if it didn't - that's definitely something to go to the hospital for.

But, overall, there will be many who don't support things like this because of their personal experiences, coming to the realization and acceptance that there is nothing that is going to jump start something, no miracle plan or pill, etc that will shed the fat or suddenly bestow upon you new habits.

But..hey..sometimes you just have to make your own mistakes. I just hope your mistakes never lead you to the point where you do harm to yourself. I also hope that you don't ragequit and therefore truly failing yourself in your goals. :flowerforyou:

The point is that it isn't a mistake and it has changed my life for the better. I am not screwing up my body. I have a doctor as I stated and she checks my blood regularly. But if you want to stick to your overprocessed food diet, that is just fine with me. I will meanwhile be enjoying all my health benefits.

And isn't insinuating I'm unhealthy because I don't consume food/liquids as you do just as "wrong" as you getting upset at everyone who is against juice fasting? Hmmm..Well, either way, as I said...best of luck and hope that things don't go too wrong for you :flowerforyou:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    the WHISKY fast is the best.

:drinker:
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    If you don't even bother to get checked medically, that shows me where your priorities are.

I would hope that would show you my priorities are roof over my head and food on the table as opposed to health insurance premiums which would cost me over a quarter of my paycheck.

Unless, of course, you're offering to pay for my doctor visits? In that case, let's please set aside this foolish arguing and become fast friends. Never let it be said I'll let a disagreement get in the way of taking someone's offer of goodwill.

Sorry I don't like being told I have an eating disorder. We can all make excuses. I too struggle financially but my health and what I eat are my main priorities and that includes seeing a doctor. In fact my doctor told me my cholesterol and blood look better than she has seen in quite some time. This was after my 30 day juice fast.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options

And isn't insinuating I'm unhealthy because I don't consume food/liquids as you do just as "wrong" as you getting upset at everyone who is against juice fasting? Hmmm..Well, either way, as I said...best of luck and hope that things don't go too wrong for you :flowerforyou:

No my assumption is just like yours, wrong. I never critisize people who are working hard at changing their lives. Making stupid judgements such as eating disorders because people don't do it the way you are doing it is just plain silly. Believe me, it will not go wrong, I am the healthiest I have ever been and I am keeping it off.
  • John31TL
    John31TL Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Juicing is a great way to get vitimains etc and loose weight. Visit the http://www.juicemaster.com/ site, tells you everything you need to know, I have the recipe books which are awesome. Defo check that site.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    the WHISKY fast is the best.

:drinker:

Can't do straight whiskey. But I'd be on bored for like a pina colada fast..or oh! CPK's creamy alcoholic beverages...omg...so dangerously good.
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Why do I even click on threads about cleanses and detoxing?

Sometimes I wish I could download all of my notes on the physiology & pathophysiology of the GI tract, liver, and kidney. But I suspect even then people will still fall prey to the notion that our body needs our help to detox (when healthy of course). It doesn't, leave it alone. You can actually end up doing more harm than good.

When I was 19 I decided to do a Master cleanse for 10 days. I got to day 6 and had to stop. I got really ill and felt horrible. Sure I lost weight, but I also lost weight when I had the flu.

Now if you want to do it for psychological, spiritual, or mental reasons, go for it. Fasting in itself is not a bad thing. My mother (who is very spiritual) is a fan of fasting. But to say that you're doing it to reset your body and detox makes me do about 3 eyerolls.

And I want to reply to a comment made last year: eating too much sugar does NOT cause diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disorder, where your body attacks your pancreatic beta cells (the ones that produce insulin). It has a juvenile onset and has nothing to do with eating too much sugar. It is largely genetic.

Type 2 diabetes is now found to have strong hereditary components to it, but is largely correlated with obesity (~80% of type 2 diabetics were obese at the time of diagnosis). Even then, the causes are multifactorial and nothing in my notes or reading says too much sugar. Of course eating too much sugar can lead to weight gain and if not controlled, obesity. But not everyone who is obese eats a lot of sugar. Heck, I have a cousin who is obese and he does not eat desserts or sweet things. However he is a huge fan of the savory foods.

Just felt like I needed to clear that up. I really hate the spread of misinformation.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Nope. Ever since I decided to get healthy and fit, I never saw a need to willingly screw up my body with things such as juice fasts. But if feel that malnutrition and suffering can help you somehow, have at it.

Again, ignorance is bliss apparently

Yes. You're demonstrating that quite well.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This thread is just horrible. Cleanses are completely pointless at best and quite dangerous at worst. There is absolutely no point in excluding all the other healthy and nutrition food options available. Your body doesn't need to "reset", or "detoxify". These are buzz words created by the diet and cleansing industry to sell you their misguiding programs. Any weight lost on a juice fast is because it's a FAST, ie; you're barely taking in any calories! You can do this with normal food too but neither option is healthy or safe! Why is it so difficult for people to just eat properly??

They usually are horrible unfortunately..oh, and ^^this
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Great documentary.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Great documentary.

Really?

No, I mean, seriously, did you really think it was a quality documentary? I personally thought it was a little infomercially and sketchy on some of the important facts.

ETA: Or am I thinking of the wrong video?
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the person on this thread wearing the idiot hat, but I never understood juice fasting. I mean, I can drink the juice of a carrot and an orange mixed together. ...or I can just eat a carrot and an orange. Isn't it the same? I just don't get what the point of putting it in juice form is? Like, does the process of juicing actually add some benefit? Does it make it more palatable? Does it add nutrients? Does it make it more likely you'll consume it? I don't get it. Everyone is talking about dropping a bunch of money on a juicer, but it seems like if you wanted to cleanse your body by consuming only raw fruits and vegetables, you could just, I don't know, consume raw fruit and vegetables, not in the form of a juice. I would imagine if you ate only fruits and vegetables for a week you would see similar results (increased energy, weight loss, etc), so why not just do that? I'm just so lost with the idea of juicing for health. I get consuming lots/all fruits and vegetables for a set period of time I guess, but why do they need to be in liquid form? Just as a heads up, there is absolutely no sarcasm here, I honestly don't get it.
  • lizp114
    lizp114 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just got the Ninja and Im dying to try it out for smoothies and for juicing....I ordered some books with recipes for juicing and I also have been looking online.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the person on this thread wearing the idiot hat, but I never understood juice fasting. I mean, I can drink the juice of a carrot and an orange mixed together. ...or I can just eat a carrot and an orange. Isn't it the same? I just don't get what the point of putting it in juice form is? Like, does the process of juicing actually add some benefit? Does it make it more palatable? Does it add nutrients? Does it make it more likely you'll consume it? I don't get it. Everyone is talking about dropping a bunch of money on a juicer, but it seems like if you wanted to cleanse your body by consuming only raw fruits and vegetables, you could just, I don't know, consume raw fruit and vegetables, not in the form of a juice. I would imagine if you ate only fruits and vegetables for a week you would see similar results (increased energy, weight loss, etc), so why not just do that? I'm just so lost with the idea of juicing for health. I get consuming lots/all fruits and vegetables for a set period of time I guess, but why do they need to be in liquid form? Just as a heads up, there is absolutely no sarcasm here, I honestly don't get it.

You're spot on. That's why so many people are arguing over it. It's utter nonsense.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Well juicing removes the insoluble fibre, and we all know how terrible that is for our bodies - wait, hold on.........:noway:

Not to mention the total drop in protein needed for preserving muscle mass
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    And let's be careful to differentiate:

Juicing and including it in your reasonable, balanced, nutrient-dense approach to eating? Generally accepted as a Good Thing™.

Juicing and consuming this and only this for several days? A Bad Thing™.

All IMHO, of course.*

*(Well, that and the numerous research studies that support this...but I'm not going to actually pull together a list of cites, so I'm taking the lazy approach and just representing this as my opinion.)

:flowerforyou:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    And let's be careful to differentiate:

Juicing and including it in your reasonable, balanced, nutrient-dense approach to eating? Generally accepted as a Good Thing™.

Juicing and consuming this and only this for several days? A Bad Thing™.

All IMHO, of course.*

*(Well, that and the numerous research studies that support this...but I'm not going to actually pull together a list of cites, so I'm taking the lazy approach and just representing this as my opinion.)

:flowerforyou:

Couldn't agree more :flowerforyou:

I have a juicer - tis brilliant, but wouldn't want to live on juice.
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    I have been juicing once a day since January 10th. I am doing it just to get nutrients and try to clear up my skin a little. I have not lost any weight, but I am not trying to use it to lose weight, just trying to be HEALTHY. I got my cheap juicer from Target. Works great and worth the money. Juice on, Folks!