Husband will work out with anyone BUT me? I need some insigh

Options
kprangernix07
kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
So I'm confused. And frustrated. My husband won't work out with me. I know he's interested in it, and he has a baller gym membership.... but when I ask him if I can join him, or if he wants to join me at my gym, he always shoots it down.

He has told me multiple times that he needs a motivation partner... and that he enjoys working out with other people. I consider myself to be a pretty motivational person, so I would think problem solved.... but he still tells me he doesn't want to go with me, because he "likes to do his own thing". Recently, he has worked out with various people from work / people he has met at the gym, and always comments that "it's nice to have someone to work out with, and to hold him accountable" --which makes me go... WTF!

When I asked him about it again the other day, he said that it's because I'm so hot, and he just wants to hang out, and stare at me... so it results in him not being very productive at the gym. While I appreciate the comment, I find that hard to believe, and feel like it's just a line. And even if it's not a line... I would think that would be a motivating factor to make him want to go... not a deterance?? Wouldn't you want to stare at your S.O. if they were a hottie? He's a hottie, and I'd love to have him there to stare at.

I dont get it.

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    There are things I want to do on my own without my hubby around (like date....j/k) :laugh: so maybe working out is his thing. :flowerforyou:
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    LMAO at Shannon.

I would not be pleased. My mind would go to "He has a honey at the gym" or he says he is single or something. My husband loves to work out with me and I'm a big girl. He would do anything to help me. I would really question his motives and THEN...I would just show up at the gym that he works out at and start working out. :D
  • margeauxhunt
    Options
    Maybe he just wants his own activity.
  • margeauxhunt
    Options
    LMAO at Shannon.

I would not be pleased. My mind would go to "He has a honey at the gym" or he says he is single or something. My husband loves to work out with me and I'm a big girl. He would do anything to help me. I would really question his motives and THEN...I would just show up at the gym that he works out at and start working out. :D

I think that's a bit childish, to be honest. People need their own hobbies. I think to assume he's cheating really says more about your own insecurity rather than a guy who doesn't want to be attached to his wife 24/7. It doesn't mean he doesn't love her, it means he needs his own space.
  • kprangernix07
    Options
    Thank you! We have a secure relationship, and I'm not worried about him cheating... but I feel like we are both pretty busy, and trying to spend time together whenever we can. He says he will take all the time he can get with me... and I don't smother him.... It's not that I want him around all the time either. Gym time is just a part of my life I would like to share with him, and the reasons he gave me didnt make sense. Maybe this post was a bad idea.
  • EEpling89
    EEpling89 Posts: 152
    Options
    At least your husband works out. LOL.

I spend as much time with my hubby as I can, but my time at the gym is just that, MY time. I would say he's being 100% honest with his reasoning. Maybe on the weekends, you two could fit in some "fun" workouts, like hiking, biking, bowling, etc. and both do your own thing at the gym during the week. :)
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Love my hubby, but sometimes just want my own space. I am *not* into someone 24/7, ever. And when someone was into me that much (in high school), it made me want to crawl the walls.

I wouldn't take it personally, I think he just wants to do his own thing. And I'm guessing (?) that a guy working out with other guys is way different than a guy working out with a girl. I'm assuming here that he's not working out with women--- that's a whole different conversation! But guys need their own kind sometimes. I'll bet he feels really self-conscious around you, too, because he knows you'll be watching him. Less so with other guys, who are more likely checking out the girls than watching his form. :wink:

Could it be that *you* need a workout partner?
  • Masterchef2000
    Masterchef2000 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is just something he wants to do on his own. It's no biggie. Just let him have it and maybe someday he will ask to do it with you.
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Could be as others have said, he just wants it to be his thing. It could also be that he is intimidated to work out with you. Considering his comment, this seems possible. It took me a long time to be comfortable working out with my husband. His is really the only opinion that matters to me, so maybe after a while, your husband will invite you to work out with him.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Maybe he just wants his own activity.

Maybe..... but ...... hmmmmmm.... maybe not.

If he's working out with other people that seems a bit odd to me that he doesn't want to work out with you. If you've NEVER had a reason to mistrust him I wouldn't mistrust his reasons although they do (at least to me) seem a little ... odd.

For me I thoroughly enjoy working out with my wife. I enjoy running beside her on the treadmill and I find it extremely enjoyable when she's spotting me on the decline bench press. Seeing her sweat and hearing her groans while working out is a turn on. Although I must admit sometimes I HAVE to do my own thing because our workouts aren't always the same so we'll meet up in the gym somewhere in the middle of our workouts.

I'm sure your husband has his reasons, if you are feeling a bit suspicious you could always ... SHOW UP when he's working out. :laugh:

Seriously though from a guy standpoint if he didn't want you IN THE GYM while he's there, then that would be something to be SERIOUSLY suspicious about.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options

If he's working out with other people that seems a bit odd to me that he doesn't want to work out with you. If you've NEVER had a reason to mistrust him I wouldn't mistrust his reasons although they do (at least to me) seem a little ... odd.

For me I thoroughly enjoy working out with my wife. I enjoy running beside her on the treadmill and I find it extremely enjoyable when she's spotting me on the decline bench press (it's kind of sexual because I'm right under her pelvis). Seeing her sweat and hearing her groans while working out is a turn on. Although I must admit sometimes I HAVE to do my own thing because our workouts aren't always the same, so we'll meet up in the gym somewhere in the middle of our workouts.

I'm sure your husband has his reasons, if you are feeling a bit suspicious you could always ... SHOW UP when he's working out. :laugh:

Seriously though from a guy standpoint if he didn't want you IN THE GYM while he's there, then THAT would be something to be SERIOUSLY suspicious about.

Please tell us he doesn't care if you are IN the gym (just not working out together) while he is there.....
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    Even if he wants it be his activity it doesn't mean that once or twice a month he wouldn't mind working out with you. It just doesn't add up. Maybe he's just selfish because he knows you really want to yet he keeps rejecting it?
  • tscottym
    tscottym Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i don't like to workout with someone i am dating. i don't care if my buddies don't think i can lift a lot or run at the highest setting on the treadmill, but i do care what my gal thinks. maybe he doesn't want to worry about impressing you and would much rather just work out. that is just how i feel. my girlfirend wants to work out with me and i tell her i like to go alone. I wouldn't be worried about him cheating or being dishonest. life isn't like the movies (adult ones) most people just do their own thing. there are the few that spend 30 minutes doing one set of curls and going back and forth to the water fountain. about the only thing most people say to strangers at the gym is "you done with this?"
  • Beeteezie
    Beeteezie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i don't like to workout with someone i am dating. i don't care if my buddies don't think i can lift a lot or run at the highest setting on the treadmill, but i do care what my gal thinks. maybe he doesn't want to worry about impressing you and would much rather just work out. that is just how i feel. my girlfirend wants to work out with me and i tell her i like to go alone. I wouldn't be worried about him cheating or being dishonest. life isn't like the movies (adult ones) most people just do their own thing. there are the few that spend 30 minutes doing one set of curls and going back and forth to the water fountain. about the only thing most people say to strangers at the gym is "you done with this?"

I agree... My guy wants to work out w/ me all the time to, but I'm still a beginner and I'm just getting into "finding my groove." If he's there I'm there I am constantly worried about if I'm slowing him down or if I look gross all sweaty or if I look silly doing my lifting exercises... I'd much rather him working out in the bedroom with me than in the gym... :blushing:
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. My partner and I started going to the same gym, and I find that I cant focus as well with him around. I think everyone needs their own thing / their own life...and this is probably just one of his things, like a regular card game or fishing.
  • Jyster
    Jyster Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If I feel weak or puny I would feel awkward about working out with my SO around. So maybe he doesn't want you to see the journey just enjoy the destination?
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    I went through this with my husband... except I was the one that didn't want to workout with him. We started off great, going to the gym together on his lunch breaks and having fun- but it wasn't the intense workout I was hoping for. So I told him I couldn't workout with him any more because I have goals and I actually want to reach them rather than hanging out and being a hot couple at the gym barely doing anything. So we started going to the gym together, but doing separate workouts. At first he didn't like it, but it's the only way I can go to the gym with him and feel like I got in a good workout. It works for us because he's still there to fend off the guys that approach me and we still get to talk between sets... but I take working out a lot more seriously than he does- even though we're both in good shape.

Don't take it personally. Sometimes you just have different goals and it's hard to tell the person you love that they aren't on the same page with you goal wise. He probably doesn't want to hurt your feelings, but isn't realizing that not providing an adequate reason for not wanting to workout with you is just as hurtful. Best of luck to you, but don't sweat it and focus on kicking *kitten* at the gym.
  • kprangernix07
    Options
    I feel like you're all saying I'm too clingy... but he tells me the reason he doesn't want to go, is because we enjoy spending time together, and he just wants to hang out... ? Still doesn't make sense to me tho.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'd guess it's just "his" thing, his alone time and he doesn't know how to explain it.

I have a workout partner that I work out with every time. I would NOT want to work out with my husband. I cannot take constructive criticism from him. I get mad. So if he told me I'm rounding my back on my deadlifts I literally might cry, but when my workout partner says it I try to straighten up.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just ask him...