What is the obsession with thigh gaps?

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    All I know is that as a man I have never ever in all my life ever heard a man say, "Wow! Look at that thigh gap on that woman!" Ladies stop obsessing about something the majority of men and most women for that matter, will never notice.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    This obsession seems to have passed me by. I've not missed it :happy:
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    When this obsession passes, then the next one will be to see if they can make their knees and ankles touch, without their calves or thighs touching... or how to have bigger knees, so their thighs look smaller.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    a thigh gap is somewhat impossible for some people even if they are at a healthy weight since much of it is determined by your hip span.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My mama always said never trust a girl who's thighs didn't touch!
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have a flat tummy than a thigh gap! lol
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    the ricketts look is in?

:laugh:
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    no offense to those who have the extra fat up there but try wearing shorts with that. its unattractive and uncomfortable.

Yeah, like shorts with a gap in them look nice? :huh:
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Funny thing is, my thighs have always been shapely, and at the moment, they're pretty large.

But I never have a problem with chafing. And my inner thigh skin is very soft.

?
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I just want to be able to wear shorts when I run, or something cute and sexy for my fella and not worry about looking gross or starting a fire! I only want a small natural one though, I am not dieting with a gap as a goal. I am 10lbs away from my goal, and I still don't have one, so odds are not in my favor as of now. . . . :(

But you don't have to have a thigh gap at all to do that.

And you don't have to have a thigh gap for your thighs not to chafe either.

Thank you.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I have a thigh gap.

When I stand with my feet shoulder width apart.

LMFAO :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :sad: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    From what I'm gathering so far:

1. It's genetics, and depends on hip structure. ** Makes sense.**
    2. It may, or may not, be achieved as a 'byproduct' of smart dieting and exercise, but cannot be directly targeted. ** No argument there.**
    2. A loss of inner thigh fat, resulting in less chaffing and clothing destruction. ** I can buy that.**
    3. All the cool girls have one, and I'm so insecure within my own skin, that I need to strive for it to fit in. ** Seek counseling.**

I did not know there was an obsession about thigh gaps out there, but #3 on this post made me laugh so much...I'm always up for some good, down to earth humor
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was around 13, 14 and boys would always tease me and talk about it being easy accesses and dumb stuff like that...I was always embarressed by it and honestly never even thought about it till someone pointed it out.

Now I came to MFP and it's really desirable >.<
    Who would have known...

I just thought it was because I had too thin of legs.
    But I guess not. hahah

Whatever a woman has...thigh gap or not...legs are about the sexiest part of a woman.
    Keeep them squats up!!
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thigh gap is a PITA when it comes to Pole Dancing....
  • nightscare0
    Options
    For me, I will never have a thigh gap. My legs simply weren't made that way. I will just be happy to be able to wear courderoy pants in the winter and not have to worry about starting a friction fire.

Actually most days I am glad to still have legs as I was in a terrible car accident when I was 20 that left a nasty scar running down my left leg and shows how close it came to being severed. I know they will never be considered "model beautiful" and that's ok with me. :smile:
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i dont get the obsession with thigh gaps either. latin guys dislike super skinny girls and the "ideal" body type is a girl with boobs , an *kitten*, hips and nice legs. not stick thin , everyone hates that. when i was super skinny 2 years ago i had a thigh gap , not as extreme as some of the pics posted here but my friend pointed it out as a flaw, she was like " you have a nice upper body but you have no legs or *kitten*. your legs are so skinny you even have a thigh gap, ew" and now that i weigh like 10 lbs more than i did back then , i barely have it. everyone complements my legs cuz apparently i "have" legs, unlike my best friend who has a thigh gap , guys have told me her legs are way too skinny. i totally love my toned and gorgeous legs right now and i'd be disappointed if they got so skinny my thigh gap became too noticeable again :)

This explains my husband... he is Puerto Rican and his main worry with my dieting is that I will loose my booty and get a thigh gap. LOL
  • Mosaic67
    Mosaic67 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've never had a thigh gap, well not since puberty hit. Always hated summers because I was so self-conscious of the rub and chafe. Even as an athlete in high school, running 5 miles a day, and strength training 3 days a week, I didn't have a gap. (and had to have expensive workout clothes so no chafing. As someone said, it has to do with structure in many cases. Narrow hips means less room for gap. Thick muscular legs with narrow hips... that ways me. Ironically, now at 90lbs more than 25+ years ago, I do not get the chafing. So, big or small, thin or thick, gap or not - we are all beautiful. And if trying to lose weight like me, accepting certain differences will help realize that you're ok and promote positive self-development.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is, my thighs have always been shapely, and at the moment, they're pretty large.

?

Thanks for posting this because this is another thing I've never had happen. I'll occasionally get chafing but it will always be on a hot day. Maybe once a year if that? (and live in Aus so it's hot here) I've had clothes wear out in the crotch but they're my work pants that I wear five days a week and this happens usually after a year.

Ladies who have it as part of their bone structure, I'm not bashing you. That's part of your body and the way it's made. But I don't admire you for it. The same way I don't admire someone for their ears, eye shape or long neck. It's not something that indicates good health it just exists.

I don't understand the girls who will diet their way to extremly low body weight to get one.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I've never had a thigh gap, well not since puberty hit. Always hated summers because I was so self-conscious of the rub and chafe. Even as an athlete in high school, running 5 miles a day, and strength training 3 days a week, I didn't have a gap. (and had to have expensive workout clothes so no chafing. As someone said, it has to do with structure in many cases. Narrow hips means less room for gap. Thick muscular legs with narrow hips... that ways me.

Add large, strong gracilis and gluteal muscles to the mix and not only will you not have a gap, but finding bicycle saddles is a real b*tch. Only VERY T-shaped saddles with narrow noses won't bruise your inner thigh muscles and force a rider to constantly have to push back on their saddle. I've never had thigh gap. I have very narrow hips (the average woman's biiliac width is 11"...mine is 9") and mesomorphic thighs. Even at 115#s in HS my thighs touched and I had to wear compression shorts under my track and soccer shorts, since this was before the days of products like Body Glide and SportShield to prevent serious chafing. I could be 10#s underweight and I'd still have thighs that touch.

I have a friend who has VERY wide hips and long, thin legs. Even when she's been 20#s overweight her thighs don't touch. We're just built entirely different.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

?

Thanks for posting this because this is another thing I've never had happen. I'll occasionally get chafing but it will always be on a hot day. Maybe once a year if that? (and live in Aus so it's hot here) I've had clothes wear out in the crotch but they're my work pants that I wear five days a week and this happens usually after a year.

Ladies who have it as part of their bone structure, I'm not bashing you. That's part of your body and the way it's made. But I don't admire you for it. The same way I don't admire someone for their ears, eye shape or long neck. It's not something that indicates good health it just exists.

I don't understand the girls who will diet their way to extremly low body weight to get one.

Totally agree.
This discussion has been closed.