worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When I was in 5th or 6th grade, the boys were discussing boobs...when will the girls start getting them, who has started getting them, etc. One of the guys said, "Kerry has boobs." Another guy replied, "She doesn't count. She's just fat." Over 20 years later, and I remember it vividly. Some of the other guys got after him for saying that. In fact, thinking back to it, I remember who made the insulting remark and who defended me. I never really noticed that before. Thanks for having my back, Brian!
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I walked into Victoria Secret once and asked the sales lady about their sizing. She looked me up and down and said, "We don't carry your size." :noway:

I politely informed her that I wasn't asking for me but for my cousin, who was too embarrassed to ask herself.
  • tanias001
    tanias001 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    from my own 2 brothers. you are so fat you are a beached whale
    nd from my not so loving mother.
    you are so fat he will leave you before you get married. When this was bought up with her late last year she denied it all.
    Its comments like that you never forget and you live with for the rest of your life and then ppl wonder why your so big to start with, with loving family members like that.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    1. My mother always tells me that I need to lose weight after she makes a scoffing sound. She weighs about as much as I do so I figure it is her taking frustrations about her issues out on me.
    2. I used to work at a daycare and when I found out about me being 8 weeks pregnant, one of my co-workers said, "I thought you were getting bigger, be careful or you will be so big that you will topple over." when I asked what she meant, she said, " Well honey, you are already a large girl, I was only trying to say that if you are not careful, you will always remain big."
    3. I went to get fitted for my school uniform (scrubs) since I am attending a college for Medical Assisting. The man a the warehouse (I will not mention names of people or places unless nessacery) Looked at me and told me he didn't think that he had any uniforms in my size and he would have to spend hours making some for me. He looked astonished when he found out that he had not only enough uniforms in my size but he also had two plenty of them two sizes up from me. Then as I picked them up he told me that I should work on "getting lighter" since I am going into the health profession.

I have plenty more but these are ones that I will never forget. It hurts to be made fun of even if it is from people who think that they are showing genuine concern....

I am so sorry! I am studying to become a nurse and always get dirty looks because I am one of the larger girls in the class..
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I was really shocked and saddened to read all the comments that you wrote. Surely they are not actually all ones that you personally have heard? It's scary just how judgemental people still are regarding overweight people.....but it's ok for them to smoke, get completely plastered etc. I'm a great believer that we should never judge others as none of us 'make the grade' 100%, we are all flawed. I just hope that you can not take on board all these hurtful comments; use them as fuel to motivate you and just be thankful that you would not judge others in the same hurtful way.
  • lissarv68
    lissarv68 Posts: 61
    Options
    Wow, I can't believe how cruel people can be. Even when I weighed 235 lbs, I never had a single bad comment made to me. I remember getting encouraging comments. Like when I first started walking (was too big then to run), I would have older couples give me encouraging comments.

I feel so bad for those who have had to deal with such hate. I think the people issuing them must have some serious self-esteem problems of their own to be so hateful.

Oddly enough, I had more hateful comments when I was in high school and weighed 120 lbs. People seemed to think that since I was clearly under weight that it was OK to taunt me and call me names because I was so skinny.

My grandmother made a comment to me once that I was over weight and she was scared that I would have a heart attack if I didn't lose the weight. I suppose some would find that insulting, I didn't because I knew that she meant well and was just trying to get me to finally see that I had a weight problem.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Well, I was very underweight my whole life until I went overseas when I was 18. I gained about 10-12 pounds while I was away, and when I got home my family basically laughed in my face. My mum even said "OMG you have a double chin!!"

They still bring up when i was 'fat'. I weighed 115 then, and I'm 5"5...
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My cousin is younger than me and used to weigh much more than she does now. She lost a hell of lot of weight and went down to a UK size 8 from a size 18.

I recently had surgery and put on more weight than I normally carry. She sent me a message that said that people my size are a burden on society and that once people get as fat as me, they should be mortally ashamed of themselves. She also continued to say how women who are voluptuous aren't beautiful, but are plain ugly and simply obese. She left a tirade on facebook which offended plenty of my friends who are my size. Oh - I'm a UK 14.

Unfortunately I had already asked her to be a bridesmaid at my wedding. I can't bear the thought of her by my side judging me in my wedding dress. She seemed so much more tolerant of people when she herself was overweight, I feel really saddened she's changed this way.
    Cut her from your wedding party! Tell her immediately tha tthere is no place for a b*tchy, unsupportive person in your wedding. Do not allow her to come to the wedding at all! She is a horrible person and does not deserve your time or energy! Delete her from your FB list and ignor eher. You are gorgeous and a UK14 is NOT fat!!!
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I was always teased as a kid for being fat. I look back at pictures, and I wasn't even that fat. I'd be considered normal today. I lost weight in high school. I met my first husband in my thin phase, and his comments about fat people should have raised warning flags. I gained weight, and he was always "supportive" of my losing weight, meaning he nagged me all the time. I couldn't even sit down and watch TV. He felt like I should be doing something all time because I was fat. That something was usually all the housework so he wouldn't have to do it (he had asthma, so that was a good excuse--hey, you're not allergic to dirty dishes!). One year on my birthday, I wanted ice cream, and he said I really shouldn't. I cried and he apologized, but it was done. He finally divorced me because I was fat (yes, that was the reason he gave me). I started dating online, and even though he was thin, I had much more luck than he did. About a year after the divorce, I met a wonderful man who happened to be fat too. Oh, and he is much better in every way than the ex. We're so happy together and trying to get healthy so we'll be around to see our son grow up.

I own my fat. I don't mind talking about being fat, as long as people aren't nasty about it. As an adult, I haven't come across anyone else (that I can remember) who has been nasty about my weight. I did have a Facebook friend from high school who went on and on about "If I can lose weight, anyone can." Oh really, so everyone has the same body and metabolism as you? I was about to undergo LapBand surgery, so his comments were pointed. I defriended him pretty quickly.

My 25-year class reunion is in July, and I'm not going. I know those a-holes will only see the weight I've gained, not the many accomplishments I've made.
  • Losingweightforgood2019
    Options
    No one has ever given me a bad comment (even from my ex). BUT I did make a comment once to someone asking them when their baby was due....ONLY to find out that they weren't pregnant....I felt very bad about it and I don't make that assumption anymore....
  • samgi27
    samgi27 Posts: 4
    Options
    woww can not believe people are so disgusting and ignorant. this is shocking what you have just quoted. if i was these peoples parents i would be ashamed... sorry xx
  • samgi27
    samgi27 Posts: 4
    Options
    surprised at this considering victorias secret "pride" themselves on advertising curvy girls.... disgusting!! its people like this who bring my violent side out and i am NOT violent! i just hate it when people hit below the belt and make very personal remarks
  • k900
    k900 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    From ex wife:

* "You're so fat... you're wasting my youth! I am embarrassed to be seen with you"

* During sex, she stops me in the middle of it and runs to the toilet and starts gagging and then says I disgust her.

Random assorted things from the years

* Running at the park, I pass a slender girl in her 20s who is running ackwardly. One of those lucky people that obviously never really does any exercise or doesn't know how to run at the least, but stays looking in shape. Her boyfriend is in front of her and he sees me pass her and goes "oh no! HELL NO! There's no way you just let that fat f**k pass you! Get your *kitten* moving!" He was one of those alpha types with the gym rat bodies.

* Running at the park during soccer practice with my team. Group of college girls is running. One points at me and says "ewww look at his belly".

* Running at the park I pass a guy and his little girl who are running. She says "daddy why did you let the fat man pass you?" And he replies "shhhh honey we don't call people fat that's not nice"

* At the gym, I smiled at a girl who looked at me like I was a cockroach and said "dream on, I don't date fatties".

* At one of our irish pubs a couple years ago. I was standing waiting in line and this guy was trying to impress his college-aged girlfriend. He started making rude comments about how fat people need removed from the planet because they are in his way and taking up space and eating all of the food. The girl giggles.

* At the gym I was in a corner doing some dumbbell work and this precious Barbie with full make up is lifting with her boyfriend. She was seated next to the rack where the weights were. I was putting my weights away and had to move around her and she gets this annoyed look on her face, and then turns to her boyfriend and says in a mock-whisper (so that others can hear) "I can't stand going to the gym during this time, too many fat people here wasting everybody's time"

I have more. Those were the ones that stuck out this morning. Being fat is the equivalent of being a leper in the middle ages. It's pretty dehumanizing... but makes for great motivation and fuel for your workouts.

Those are some really horrible comments. Some people are just plain cruel. Just for the record i think you look good.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I used to be part of a dance group that did a few performances a year and went to competitions. I had been dancing for about 8 years but never really had the typical 'dancer's body'. I wasn't super overweight, though. I was about 125 lbs at 5'1 and in seventh grade. Anyway, this girl who had recently joined the group and had been dancing for a short time began complaining if I was in the front during a dance and calling me fat every single day. She wasn't even thin, just very mean. I quit dance because the bullying got out of hand and the director of the studio and our instructors did NOTHING about it, despite watching this girl bully me and having my mom and other kids' parents complain. This whole situation caused a lot of problems for me and I really resent letting some stupid girl ruin dance for me, especially because I really miss it and have lost a lot of skill.

I've also received the "You have such a pretty face..." from the most unexpected people. I had a teacher tell me I had such a nice face and that I didn't need to "dress like that". I was wearing tights and a skirt, a modest enough top, and a jacket. Plenty of thinner girls wore similar things, or more revealing things, and she said nothing.

Then there's always the friend who's in good shape, thin, or just generally not overweight who talks about how fat they are. They're fun. I think people just tend to be really insensitive and don't realize they're saying things that are hurtful.

I loved dancing but yea, I had similar experiences with being the "fat girl" on a dance team. At one performance, some of the other girls hid my costume so I couldn't perform. The routine had a section with really difficult tap moves and I was one of the girls in that section. They were mad because they thought another girl should have gotten my "spot". The funny thing was, she was still slightly overweight, but not as big as I was and she was more popular than me. That was the last year I performed with that team. Then having people make "earthquake" jokes about me being up on stage.
  • abberbabber
    Options
    whilst all of the insults may seem destructive they usually lead you to an attempt to correct yourself.

the worst ever would have to be;

"you look fine just the way you are"

Not necessarily true. For me, at least, it just pushed me deep into a depression I had to fight my way out of, and still struggle with. When I was 13, I attempted suicide because of the cruel comments from kids at school. I spent years eating my emotions, which just helped pack the pounds on, which made me even more depressed. It's taken me 20 some odd years to finally get to a point where I love myself, no matter what size I am, because I know I'm a beautiful child of God. And I'd be willing to bet that I'm certainly not the minority in this.
  • k900
    k900 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have never really been called fat or had a rude comment made about my weight. Honestly allot of these are hard to read. It makes me sad and kind of pisses me off to see how cruel people can be. I don't care how big or out of shape someone is i honestly don't understand why anyone would think it's okay to judge someone based on that.

Although now that i think about it there was one guy who i was kind of dating that made some comment like "yeah if a girl is over 130 pounds that is pushing it" He was used to being with short girls and i am 5'8 so that could be part of it but still it kinda pissed me off and he knew it. He started backtracking. The bad thing is he isn't a skinny guy himself.
  • StarvingKyy
    StarvingKyy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My brother once told me I should puke off all my fat.
    My old best friends little brother would always tell me to MOVE IT when I was in the way. One day I snapped and said "Why should I?" He simply said because I was fat.
    In middle school while playing dodgeball the coach let us pick our teams. Big girls vs Small girls. No joke - the teacher didnt interfeer.
    I was a "Big Girl" that day. We lost -_-
    I was getting a Sub from subway. This jerk from school was working there at the time. She put mayo on it and I asked for more and she looked up and said "Ky thats discusting." And she put the mayo back down and wrapped up my sandwhich for me.

I pretty much understood that at 182 lbs and 5'0-5'2 that I was fat. Thanks to everybody for "so kindly" hinting that to me. I am now 117 lbs and 5'3.5 with a massive eating disorder. Are you happy now?
  • abberbabber
    Options
    My cousin is younger than me and used to weigh much more than she does now. She lost a hell of lot of weight and went down to a UK size 8 from a size 18.

I recently had surgery and put on more weight than I normally carry. She sent me a message that said that people my size are a burden on society and that once people get as fat as me, they should be mortally ashamed of themselves. She also continued to say how women who are voluptuous aren't beautiful, but are plain ugly and simply obese. She left a tirade on facebook which offended plenty of my friends who are my size. Oh - I'm a UK 14.

Unfortunately I had already asked her to be a bridesmaid at my wedding. I can't bear the thought of her by my side judging me in my wedding dress. She seemed so much more tolerant of people when she herself was overweight, I feel really saddened she's changed this way.

I wonder if it's like smokers, how they seem incredibly intolerant of of other smokers after they quite smoking? She should have more compassion for people who are overweight...You could always kick her out of the wedding :)
  • RAF_Guy
    RAF_Guy Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Not said to me, but my friend was chatted up at a bar by a younger - 5 years or so- lady. His reply, to her when asked if she could have his number:

I would, if only I was 5 years younger and you were slim and attractive.

Not his finest moment and although he said it as a joke, I think he realised that it was pretty harsh!
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    ^ this @abber