Helloitsdan Fans. I have a question

Options

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I know he gets bombarded. I just have a simple question that anyone who's been following the F2F plan can answer...

Do I just set my MFP calories to the number I was given after I did all the calculations? So basically, I'm asking: I do not "eat back" my workout calories; I eat the same calories each day regardless if it was a workout day or not, is this correct?

My calories for the day (each day) should be set at 2080 regardless of exercise. Yes? No?

yes.
    you can always log your exercise in notes, or log it as usual but change calories burned to 1 so it doesnt affect your totals.
  • em9371
    Options
    I'd say (and am happy to be corrected...) that you can either eat the sedentary number and eat your exercise calories back or eat the lightly active number and not eat them back.

yep this is right.
    using sedentary or MFP figures assumes you do no exercise so you would log and eat back.
    using a higher activity level that matches your workouts will already include exercise so dont eat back.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am so confused and honestly am agonizing over this, especially since I'm in a what seems like forever plateau.

I have been eating 1480 and not losing. Eating back some/most of my calories.

I am 189, 5'7", 33 years old, 39% body fat according to a scale (not sure how accurate that is.)
    Goal weight is 150.

I have reset my MFP calories to 1700. Should I eat my exercise calories back? So confused.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1756
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2012
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2268
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2524
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2780

Eat 1800 calories a day. Also try to do 2-3 of the 4 days you work out strength training or resistance training related. Cardio is for heart health and burning a lot of calories which you would have to eat back. WT or RT will cut fat and burn more calories in the long run repairing your muscles.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I am so confused and honestly am agonizing over this, especially since I'm in a what seems like forever plateau.

I am 189, 5'7", 33 years old, 39% body fat according to a scale (not sure how accurate that is.)
    Goal weight is 150.

I have reset my MFP calories to 1700. Should I eat my exercise calories back? So confused.

Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2780

Eat 1800 calories a day. Also try to do 2-3 of the 4 days you work out strength training or resistance training related. Cardio is for heart health and burning a lot of calories which you would have to eat back. WT or RT will cut fat and burn more calories in the long run repairing your muscles.

Eat this for 2 weeks while continuing your routine.
    This should regulate things and break the plateau.
  • Jackieb301
    Jackieb301 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi

Another question please....

I have basically been plateued from 2nd March between 11st6-11st3 (162.4 - 158.2)

I was eating 1200 (dont I know now :noway: ) until 12th March then upped to 1450 when I dropped to 11st 2lb. April 2nd I upped to between 1650 - 1950 per day and I started heavy (for me) freeweights last Friday 13th and have done those 3 times this week. I also do zumba 20-50 minutes, or run 2 miles as a cardio 2-3 times a week. As a normal everyday activity I have horses to look after which involves poo picking 50-70kg per day and changing rugs etc and total time daily is 60 - 90 minutes everyday.

I am female, 38, 5'4, currently 160lb, bf was 34.9% as calcualted on Tuesday. I think I should be eating more like 1900 consistently and learning patience that the scale doesnt change that quickly after upping.

I will say that BF reduced by 2.3% in the last 2 weeks....
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • em9371
    Options
    Hi Dan!
    I'd just like to say a huge thank you for your original 'in place of a roadmap' post.
    I had been doing this accidentally since I started on MFP as I like to have the same calorie goal every day rather than logging & eating back exercise, but its great to learn the science behind it :-)
  • eden2004
    eden2004 Posts: 34
    Options

Goal weight is 150.

So do I eat 1800 and eat back my exercise calories or eat 2268 and not eat them back?
  • em9371
    Options

Goal weight is 150.

So do I eat 1800 and eat back my exercise calories or eat 2268 and not eat them back?

id go with what Dan says, the 2268 and not eat them back, he was the one who originally started the topic 'in place of a road map'
  • psuLemon
    Options

Goal weight is 150.

id go with what Dan says, the 2268 and not eat them back, he was the one who originally started the topic 'in place of a road map'

I think Dan would agree that the plans I design are just as comparable as his as believe it not, we probably help the same about of people in any given day. 1800 was a 20% deficit from the calculated TDEE. I utilize the Katch McArdle approach which has provided a significant success rate. With either approach, you will need to play with your calories as in the end you will need to either increase or decrease after a month or monitoring. The calculations in F2F are a bit more conservative.
  • em9371
    Options

I think Dan would agree that the plans I design are just as comparable as his as believe it not, we probably help the same about of people in any given day. 1800 was a 20% deficit from the calculated TDEE. I utilize the Katch McArdle approach which has provided a significant success rate. With either approach, you will need to play with your calories as in the end you will need to either increase or decrease after a month or monitoring. The calculations in F2F are a bit more conservative.

psulemon,
    sorry i wasnt trying to say dan's way was better than yours I just know he did the original post, your way is good too thanks for explaining how its worked out :-)
  • eden2004
    Options

Goal weight is 150.

psulemon, would you then eat back your exercise calories? I feel like it's a slippery slope since it's tough to estimate a calorie burn. I'm nervous about the switch to 2268 (I think that was the number) since I don't work out every day...
  • psuLemon
    Options

Goal weight is 150.

psulemon, would you then eat back your exercise calories? I feel like it's a slippery slope since it's tough to estimate a calorie burn. I'm nervous about the switch to 2268 (I think that was the number) since I don't work out every day...

Nope, all my calculations would include a deficit over the week so you don't eat back calories.
  • psuLemon
    Options

psulemon,
    sorry i wasnt trying to say dan's way was better than yours I just know he did the original post, your way is good too thanks for explaining how its worked out :-)

it's cool, keep in mind that F2F says you an adjust calories by a few hundred. Now, if she doesn't lose weight in a month, then I would increase calories by 200 to get her to 2000 but you should make huge jumps in calories as your body will freak out for a few weeks.
  • psuLemon
    Options

psulemon,

ps- here is some of my handy work

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results?hl=caloric+intake+results&page=1#posts-5425208
  • em9371
    Options

Nice!!
    I get what you are saying re the steady increase, for a lot of people going onto BMR/TDEE calculated calories would be a huge jump from what they are eating at the minute, especially the ones that dont eat back exercise!
    I increased by 450 and gained 0.8 the first week, luckily it was only temporary and im losing lbs and body fat % nicely now :-)
  • eden2004
    Options
    Thanks psulemon, I'm going to go with your suggestion of 1800 as I don't know how I would eat 2200+ calories! HA! :) Thanks! I'll let you know the results.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi Dan,

Age 37 woman

Height 65 inches

Body Fat% 47

Weight 180

How often you work out --3 days of jump rope hiit @ 30/60---5-7 rounds and nerdfitness beginers bodyweight training. I complete 2 rounds...not 3 yet!

I was doing the exercise 3 days a week...back to back. I am now, starting next week, going to do 3 days hiit and 2 days body weight on alternating days. I want to be able to focus on one thing at time/completely.

How long are you on your feet a day etc... I work at a part time office job.

Many thanks!

Michelle

I could be off on BF%...I did the measurements in the evening.
  • Sweet_Caramel
    Sweet_Caramel Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump