Helloitsdan Fans. I have a question

Options

Replies

• SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Something to remember...
    MFP wants you to workout to eat more.
    Fat 2Fit wants you to eat more to workout.

I now live by the rule: A true diet is 70% nutrition, 20% rest, 10% working out.
    If you follow this you will have better losses than if you trained everyday for 2 hours a day.
    It's all about food, recovery and the abbreviated rOutine while cutting calories.
    Once you get into the lower body fat levels and have dieted down you can bump up training as well as calories and start working on body composition.

Right now though, use it or lose it but don't overuse it!

This is SO important! Thanks, Dan. I am about 35-40 pounds from my goal. I do not stress over how much exercise I do or don't do. I make sure to do strength/weight training about 3 times/week. I try to sit as little as possible throughout the day, and get outside and have fun with the kids as much as they want. I am 5'4", weigh 182, eat 1800-2000 calories every day, at least 120 grams of protein daily, and voila, my body has finally started to release a pound of fat every 6 to 8 days, consistently - now that's a miracle. I have a friend killing herself doing P90X, cardio, running - 2 hours a day, netting 800-1100 calories/day, very low protein, tons of low cal/low fat processed foods, and guess what? She has not lost a single pound in 4 months. And she's 30 pounds from goal. Yes Dan, I agree - if you want to lose fat, it's 70% nutrition, 20% rest, and 10% working them muscles. The body composition can wait.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Something to remember...
    MFP wants you to workout to eat more.
    Fat 2Fit wants you to eat more to workout.

I now live by the rule: A true diet is 70% nutrition, 20% rest, 10% working out.
    If you follow this you will have better losses than if you trained everyday for 2 hours a day.
    It's all about food, recovery and the abbreviated rOutine while cutting calories.
    Once you get into the lower body fat levels and have dieted down you can bump up training as well as calories and start working on body composition.

Right now though, use it or lose it but don't overuse it!

This is SO important! Thanks, Dan. I am about 35-40 pounds from my goal. I do not stress over how much exercise I do or don't do. I make sure to do strength/weight training about 3 times/week. I try to sit as little as possible throughout the day, and get outside and have fun with the kids as much as they want. I am 5'4", weigh 182, eat 1800-2000 calories every day, at least 120 grams of protein daily, and voila, my body has finally started to release a pound of fat every 6 to 8 days, consistently - now that's a miracle. I have a friend killing herself doing P90X, cardio, running - 2 hours a day, netting 800-1100 calories/day, very low protein, tons of low cal/low fat processed foods, and guess what? She has not lost a single pound in 4 months. And she's 30 pounds from goal. Yes Dan, I agree - if you want to lose fat, it's 70% nutrition, 20% rest, and 10% working them muscles. The body composition can wait.

Great post, too many people fall for the eating 'diet food' and doing endless hours of cardio, it's not necessary as you have proved well done :-)
  • Lindaendall
    Lindaendall Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm with Julienwyle - 'what did I burn- what can I eat?' Linda
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hi Dan,

Age 37 woman

Height 65 inches

Body Fat% 47

Weight 180

How often you work out --3 days of jump rope hiit @ 30/60---5-7 rounds and nerdfitness beginers bodyweight training. I complete 2 rounds...not 3 yet!

I was doing the exercise 3 days a week...back to back. I am now, starting next week, going to do 3 days hiit and 2 days body weight on alternating days. I want to be able to focus on one thing at time/completely.

How long are you on your feet a day etc... I work at a part time office job.

Many thanks!

Michelle

I could be off on BF%...I did the measurements in the evening.

Set MFP to 1620 Per day.
    Protein and Fat 30% each.

BMR 1307
    TDEE 2025

I did this on my handy calculator.
  • iambatman41
    Options
    bump
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Oh my. Someone please help me.The more I read, the more confused I get. I've gotten numbers from Dan, and asked a friend several times for help understanding a lot of this. Maybe I'm asking too many questions. I'm confused, again, about how much to eat.

WEIGHT-164
    BMR-1381
    TDEE-2140
    BF%-37
    Exercise average 5x/wk
    Dan suggested I eat 1717 to lose weight. I need to lose BF, and gain lean muscle.

Exercise: kickboxing 2x/wk, karate 1x/wk, Muay Thai 1x/wk. So, there's 4 days of exercise, and I'm adding running 1-2x/wk because I'm doing a 5K in a few weeks. Average, 5-6 hours, 5 days/wk. My burns, according to my HRM, are anywhere from 450 to 700. Some days I can burn as much as 950. My workouts are mostly cardio, however, in kickboxing we DO squats, lunges, pushups, use weights, medicine balls, etc. I AM trying to get in 1-2 workouts on the weight machine we have here.

So I can understand it, here's are my questions:

A) If I have NO exercise, how many calories should I eat?

B) If I have a burn of 450(from my BMR) how much should I eat?

C) If my burn is big, such as when my daily burn was 998, how much should I eat?

If you do answer those questions, can you please show me what you did so I can follow it? To eveyone that's helped me, thank you. Sorry if I keep asking the same questions. I'm hoping the way I asked them above will help me get the answer in a way that I can finally understand.

(I set my food to 40/30/30. I try to get in my protein and fiber.)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Oh my. Someone please help me.The more I read, the more confused I get. I've gotten numbers from Dan, and asked a friend several times for help understanding a lot of this. Maybe I'm asking too many questions. I'm confused, again, about how much to eat.

WEIGHT-164
    BMR-1381
    TDEE-2140
    BF%-37
    Exercise average 5x/wk
    Dan suggested I eat 1717 to lose weight. I need to lose BF, and gain lean muscle.

Exercise: kickboxing 2x/wk, karate 1x/wk, Muay Thai 1x/wk. So, there's 4 days of exercise, and I'm adding running 1-2x/wk because I'm doing a 5K in a few weeks. Average, 5-6 hours, 5 days/wk. My burns, according to my HRM, are anywhere from 450 to 700. Some days I can burn as much as 950. My workouts are mostly cardio, however, in kickboxing we DO squats, lunges, pushups, use weights, medicine balls, etc. I AM trying to get in 1-2 workouts on the weight machine we have here.

C) If my burn is big, such as when my daily burn was 998, how much should I eat?

If you do answer those questions, can you please show me what you did so I can follow it? To eveyone that's helped me, thank you. Sorry if I keep asking the same questions. I'm hoping the way I asked them above will help me get the answer in a way that I can finally understand.

You don't need to worry about days you don't exercise or exercise a lot, the numbers he gave you are static, and you don't eat exercise calories back, you just eat the same every day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

WEIGHT-164
    BMR-1381
    TDEE-2140
    BF%-37
    Exercise average 5x/wk

The calories given include exercise so you should be eating the 1717 every day. However, you also need to keep above your BMR, so on 'big burn' days you will need to eat more. If you have added exercise, you may want to upp your average daily intake also as you should be in a higher activity bracket. How tall are you?
  • abbie72003
    abbie72003 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options

WEIGHT-164
    BMR-1381
    TDEE-2140
    BF%-37
    Exercise average 5x/wk

The calories given include exercise so you should be eating the 1717 every day. However, you also need to keep above your BMR, so on 'big burn' days you will need to eat more. If you have added exercise, you may want to upp your average daily intake also as you should be in a higher activity bracket. How tall are you?

I'm 5'6". So, what you're saying if I have NO exercise or I do exercise and have a moderate burn, I eat 1717. How would i figure out a moderate burn? My HRM? Maybe a better question would be: Do I NET 1717, or just have 1717 as my goal and don't look at NET?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

WEIGHT-164
    BMR-1381
    TDEE-2140
    BF%-37
    Exercise average 5x/wk

I'm 5'6". So, what you're saying if I have NO exercise or I do exercise and have a moderate burn, I eat 1717. How would i figure out a moderate burn? My HRM? Maybe a better question would be: Do I NET 1717, or just have 1717 as my goal and don't look at NET?

If they were ran by Dan, then you should be eating 1717 every day, irrespective of exercise. However, these numbers look a little low (sorry Dan!). I would PM him and ask him to re-run them.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Just wondering has anyone continued on this method for a period of time and continued to see results?

I want to try it but Im super confused and just need help and well want to be sure it works
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Just wondering has anyone continued on this method for a period of time and continued to see results?

I want to try it but Im super confused and just need help and well want to be sure it works

If you eat below yout TDEE you will lose weight. If you can do that with higher calories, then it is more sustainable and you have a better chance of maintaining your lean body mass.
  • delonda1
    Options
    So if F2F says i should eat

1866 with light activity should I eat that no matter if i work out or not?

that is a lot of calories! I can barely make 1500 a day.

AND HAS ANYONE DONE THIS METHOD FOR ATLEAST A MOTH AND SEEN RESULTS
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    So if F2F says i should eat

1866 with light activity should I eat that no matter if i work out or not?

that is a lot of calories! I can barely make 1500 a day.

AND HAS ANYONE DONE THIS METHOD FOR ATLEAST A MOTH AND SEEN RESULTS

Yes - you should eat that every day.

And yes, I have and also see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/524791-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day? for success stories.
  • delonda1
    Options
    THANKS very much Sarauk2sf!
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi Dan,

Age 37 woman

Height 65 inches

Body Fat% 47

Weight 180

How often you work out --3 days of jump rope hiit @ 30/60---5-7 rounds and nerdfitness beginers bodyweight training. I complete 2 rounds...not 3 yet!

I was doing the exercise 3 days a week...back to back. I am now, starting next week, going to do 3 days hiit and 2 days body weight on alternating days. I want to be able to focus on one thing at time/completely.

How long are you on your feet a day etc... I work at a part time office job.

Many thanks!

Michelle

I could be off on BF%...I did the measurements in the evening.

Set MFP to 1620 Per day.
    Protein and Fat 30% each.

BMR 1307
    TDEE 2025

I did this on my handy calculator.

May I ask, How did you come up with those #s for BMR and TDEE?
  • victoria615
    victoria615 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a question, using the F2F website; I think I've figured out what my BMR is (1600), but not certain if I'll be okay with the activity level I picked (light). I work out 5 days a week, but only for 30-40 minutes on a eliptical machine, and other than that I have a desk job. Using that I would eat 2108, minus 20% for weight loss (which is 1686), correct?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I have a question, using the F2F website; I think I've figured out what my BMR is (1600), but not certain if I'll be okay with the activity level I picked (light). I work out 5 days a week, but only for 30-40 minutes on a eliptical machine, and other than that I have a desk job. Using that I would eat 2108, minus 20% for weight loss (which is 1686), correct?

What did you put into F2F as your goal weight, if you are going to use TDEE - 20% you will need to put your current weight as your goal weight.

If you put your actual goal weight in, then you eat the number it gave you, as you are eating like the thinner person you want to be.

Both ways you eat static. You do not eat your exercise cals.