"y'all"

Options

Replies

• boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I think Y'all is a Southern thing, and I know it's a Texas thang! Not a thing, a thang. By the way, Texas is not part of the South. Texas is just Texas, the former Republic of Texas and therefore much bigger than the South. :) If you don't believe me, ask any Texan.

Other terms that have the same meaning as Y'all

Youse... mostly heard by New Yawkers

Yu'ins. A popular term in Southern Missouri and Southern Illinois.

:flowerforyou: :love: :drinker: :blushing: :wink:
    Damn right!
  • KatesBadAss
    KatesBadAss Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Exactly! We don't count off for that here in Texas :)
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    yall.jpg

It's sounds better than saying all of you, or you all.
    Can y'all come to my barbeque?:bigsmile:
    Can all of you come to my barbeque? :noway:
    Can you all come come to my barbeque? :noway:
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I think Y'all is a Southern thing, and I know it's a Texas thang! Not a thing, a thang. By the way, Texas is not part of the South. Texas is just Texas, the former Republic of Texas and therefore much bigger than the South. :) If you don't believe me, ask any Texan.

Hahahah YES! Us Texans have kind of an out of control amount of state pride :) I love it!

Amen!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Hahahah YES! Us Texans have kind of an out of control amount of state pride :) I love it!

New Yorkers don't say "youse" , that's a New Jersey thing. "Youse guys coming, or what?"
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Interesting, was under the impression that "eh" replaced just about anything at the end of a canadian sentence, including the number of people around \m/

I'm Canadian and never use "Eh"

You didn't finish your sentence. You never use what?

funny..

:happy: :flowerforyou:
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

Texas pride is RIDICULOUS! lol
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

You probably call coke "pop"! Don't y'all know it is all Coke! Then you say what kind of coke you want, diet coke, Pepsi, mountain dew!! :happy:

^^^^^Lmao! This exactly! I live in Texas and I cant tell y'all how many times Ive had this conversation: "Im going to the store, y'all want a coke?" "Yes" "Ok what kind?" "A Dr. Pepper" :)

I have explained this to SOOOO many people lol
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Canadians say you, but the plural is implied by the context. Canadians don't have an equivalent.

Too many pages to read thru. Maybe this was already said. But if Southern Americans say "Ya'll" then East Coast Canadians actually say "Youse" (yooze). As in: "Hey youse guys. That's what youse think aboat it."

I live outside of Toronto. I worked at a call centre for RBC that serviced all of Canada. I talked to all Canadian accents and Canadians of all ages, cultures, socio-economics, you name it. I especially loved the "Youse Guys" to represent RBC in general.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Y'all fixin to come to the fair?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Y'all are awesome :)
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I am from south east Texas and y'all is part of our vocabulary. It's a term for you all when referring to a group. Example, How y'all doin?" As opposed to saying "how is everybody doing?" We also use it in the ownership form as in, "How are y'all's kids doing in school?" We take shortcuts in our sentences and y'all is a great one for that.
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Amen!

Hell yeah, y'all! :laugh:
  • darcie81
    darcie81 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Y'all

You all
    You all are
    All of you

EX: Y'all funny (All of you are funny)
    Y'all need to shut up! (You all need to shut up!)

Personally unless you're using it as dialog, I wouldn't use Y'All on a paper of any kind...unless of course you go to school in Texas, then it's okay.

YEAH I WOULDN'T USE IT IN A PAPER!! I moved to Connecticut from Georgia and i have a really bad habit with y'all and they looked at me like i was the biggest redneck freak that walk the earth!!!
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Mississippi here and of course I use y'all but I have really wanted to start throwing in British terms in my everyday language just to throw people off but it is not as easy as that. You actually have to think about language you use and most of the time it just flows so for a Canadian to just decide to start using y'all would be harder than it sounds.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    "Yu'ins" (assumed 2 syllables) may be southern Illinois and Missouri, but Pittsburgh, PA, has it's own dialect that includes "yunz". Formally known as Pittsburgheze, this dialect also includes "pop" for soda, "gumbands" for rubber bands, and "jagger bushes" for thorn bushes. Myron Cope was the poet laureate of Pittburgheze when I was growing up there.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    On a personal level I tend to say "ya" more often than y'all. "Ya" seems to cover a lot of ground too \m/
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm in SW Ohio and have ALWAYS heard y'all, but always as a plural. My husband is from southern Ohio (Appalachia!), and good gravy! the southern accents they have and y'all is said all the time. Its funny, they also use English terms sometimes, especially "boot" of the car.
    Ain't has never been acceptable because it sounds uneducated; we were always immediately corrected as kids if this word ever even began to drop from your mouth.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options

You probably call coke "pop"! Don't y'all know it is all Coke! Then you say what kind of coke you want, diet coke, Pepsi, mountain dew!! :happy:

^^^^^Lmao! This exactly! I live in Texas and I cant tell y'all how many times Ive had this conversation: "Im going to the store, y'all want a coke?" "Yes" "Ok what kind?" "A Dr. Pepper" :)

I have explained this to SOOOO many people lol

OMG the first time I went to Texas I was so confused then I ordered a Coke at a theatre and got Mr. PIBB! I was like, WTH? Then I drank it and fell in love with fountain Dr. Pepper and Mr. Pibb. My hubby is from TX so I hear and see all kinds of slang from him. And when I visit inlaws and friends. In fact, one friend "brushed up" on his Canadian and the first thing he said to me when we went down there for Christmas last year was:

"Do you want to drink a POP on my COUCH? I brought your TOUQUE to wear. But it'll cost you a TOONIE, EH?"

Then he laughed like a maniac.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Y'all fixin to come to the fair?

Or as they say in my 'hood, "Ya'll finna come to da fair?"