• boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    FYI Dr Pepper DOES not have a period after Dr
    I only bring it up cause its important! lol
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I think Y'all is a Southern thing, and I know it's a Texas thang! Not a thing, a thang. By the way, Texas is not part of the South. Texas is just Texas, the former Republic of Texas and therefore much bigger than the South. :) If you don't believe me, ask any Texan.

Other terms that have the same meaning as Y'all

Youse... mostly heard by New Yawkers

Yu'ins. A popular term in Southern Missouri and Southern Illinois.

Hahahah YES! Us Texans have kind of an out of control amount of state pride :) I love it!

Amen!

Hell yeah, y'all! :laugh:

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas." -Davy Crockett

A friend of mine has this tattooed on his rib cage. WE'RE SERIOUS Y'ALL.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I think Y'all is a Southern thing, and I know it's a Texas thang! Not a thing, a thang. By the way, Texas is not part of the South. Texas is just Texas, the former Republic of Texas and therefore much bigger than the South. :) If you don't believe me, ask any Texan.

Other terms that have the same meaning as Y'all

Youse... mostly heard by New Yawkers

Yu'ins. A popular term in Southern Missouri and Southern Illinois.

Hahahah YES! Us Texans have kind of an out of control amount of state pride :) I love it!

Amen!

Hell yeah, y'all! :laugh:

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas." -Davy Crockett

A friend of mine has this tattooed on his rib cage. WE'RE SERIOUS Y'ALL.

We aint playin' now. I love the Great State of Texas.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options

YES. Texas is it's own region altogether. You have the Cowboys...you're just so dang lucky.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I think some of y'all are looking way too into this y'all thing.

PS....it's not just Southern. I'm Northern.
  • CraigG75
    CraigG75 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Y'all is the southern short version of "you all" . Like a person could say "You guys are funny" or Y'all are funny" LOL.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm from Dallas and I HATE y'all, especially as a written "word". Nails on chalkboard.
  • reneegee23
    Options
    Oh, I also hate the response to a misheard/unheard question or statement: "Do what?" THAT SOUNDS STUPID. I'm a hater.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Most other languages have a plural you; English doesn't. So the southerners kindly made one up for us.

Damn straight. :smokin:
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've use y'all all my life...it's a southern slang for "you all"...nothing else to say about it!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Don't know the Canadian version, but some of my friends from New York use "youse guys" as their plural form of "you".

Personally, I prefer "ya'll".

And you do know there are better sources for your paper, right?
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Oh, I also hate the response to a misheard/unheard question or statement: "Do what?" THAT SOUNDS STUPID. I'm a hater.

You'd probably hate me, then, because I have a slight learning disability which causes me to respond to pretty much anything that anyone says with "What was that?", even if I hear them loud and clear. There's a lapse in comprehension between my ears and my brain, so I eventually get what people say, but it takes a second.

So, you know, remember that before you call someone stupid for asking you to repeat something, even if they ask in a way that annoys you (I also have a 146 IQ and a college degree, so I like to think I'm not anywhere close to stupid).
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    Options
    In cincinnati, when you didn't hear what someone says, you say, "Please?" It's the only place in the world, I've heard, that someone does that. "Ya'll goin down to the mall down there?" I couldn't hear them. "Please?"
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    In cincinnati, when you didn't hear what someone says, you say, "Please?" It's the only place in the world, I've heard, that someone does that. "Ya'll goin down to the mall down there?" I couldn't hear them. "Please?"

That's kind of amusing, like it started out as "Could you repeat that, please?" or something and just lost all the other words somewhere along the way.

I was always taught to say "Pardon?" to strangers, but I spent a lot of my childhood just hanging with family, so "What was that?" just sort of became ingrained in me. Most people don't even notice, but some people get really offended >_>
  • margeauxhunt
    Options
    Aright- so would it be incorrect to say "you make me laugh!" implying you plural? Or would it be misunderstood?

I say Y'all ALL of the time. I do live in Alabama!!

Now, I only use y'all for plural. So, if I had three friends making jokes, I would say, "y'all are so funny!!!"

But, if only one friend was making the joke, I would say, "You are so funny!"

So to answer that question above, I would think you meant singular.

I would think that people up north would say "Yous" instead of "Y'all"

P.S. Even though I live in Alabama, I only have a slight southern accent. Most of the people down here have a HUGE southern drawl!!

I would not use "Y'all" in a paper, your professor would not appreciate it! (Trust me, I am married to a professor!)

I wonder if it's a regional thing, my family who live outside of Birmingham don't say y'all. Or maybe it's just them...
  • reneegee23
    Options

You'd probably hate me, then, because I have a slight learning disability which causes me to respond to pretty much anything that anyone says with "What was that?", even if I hear them loud and clear. There's a lapse in comprehension between my ears and my brain, so I eventually get what people say, but it takes a second.

So, you know, remember that before you call someone stupid for asking you to repeat something, even if they ask in a way that annoys you (I also have a 146 IQ and a college degree, so I like to think I'm not anywhere close to stupid).

No, I wouldn't hate you! I just hate the response "Do what?" - it sounds ridiculous, ha. And I have to ask people to repeat themselves all the time, you're not alone.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm from Dallas and I HATE y'all, especially as a written "word". Nails on chalkboard.

Actually, the word "y'all" is included in the Oxford Dictionary as a contraction of "you all."

So, it really is a word.

And if you're from Dallas a hate the word "y'all", you must be pretty irritated like 90% of the time!
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You all.

Alla yawl.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Lol I'm from the south and I say it all the time! It means you all when you want to get other ppl attention.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I think i'm getting a feel for this dialect :glasses: thanks... y'all!

so what do u think people who dont use it say in its place? for example ahem... canadians?

"You guys" would be the "non-southern" way of saying it.