Eggs - Why do people not eat the yolk?

Options

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Because of the myth that eggs cause high chelestoral.

One of my friends lives on a property and keeps chooks so I get my eggs from her. They're delicious! Store bought are ok but hand raised are better. If I ever get my own place I'll keep chooks.
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Ok...after all this egg talk, I will be having eggs for dinner, and yes, I will eat the yolk. I buy farm fresh free range eggs from a friend who is using the $ she makes for her kids' college funds. I get great eggs and one day, Hallie and Maddie will get a great education. Seems like a win-win to me. :)
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I eat a LOT of eggs. Roughly 14 a week (sometimes more) and I eat the whole egg. My doctor was worried and told me to cut back on yolks then when my test results came in she emailed me at home that night telling me to not worry about the eggs, eat as MANY as I like, my results were fantastic and for me to keep doing what I'm doing.

The incredible, edible egg.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I buy "cage-free" happy eggs. Pay more but feel better about it.
  • anausaf
    anausaf Posts: 2
    Options
    I love eggs....I have high cholesterol as well...am desperately trying to get it down with diet and exercise...when you have family history it's just so hard. I am very frustrated because in 3 months there was no change...it even went up a little...don't know what else to do and really didn't wanna go on medication before I"m even 30! :(
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I love eggs....I have high cholesterol as well...am desperately trying to get it down with diet and exercise...when you have family history it's just so hard. I am very frustrated because in 3 months there was no change...it even went up a little...don't know what else to do and really didn't wanna go on medication before I"m even 30! :(

There is some research showing low-carb diets are better at improving cholesterol than low-fat diets. Although I would highly recommend talking to your doctor about it if you are interested to make sure you are on the same page.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20100802/low-carb-diets-improve-cholesterol-long-term
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    its healthy fats and good cholesterol though, especially for active males its important to eat both the whites and the yolks, a good balance is 3 eggs whole and 3 whites only, I dont know about eating that for dinner however in the morning would be a great time, especially mixed with plain oatmeal for the good complex carbs which would keep the blood glucose levels stable
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol (well at least I did a year or so ago before I started eating better)... my doctor gave me a list of foods I couldn't eat anymore that included eggs and coconuts... I seem to have misplaced it :)

But egg yolks are too yummy. If I am home alone with no one to make dinner for my dinner is two poached eggs with multigrain toast cut up into little "fingers" for dipping and a nice big salad. Om nom nom. I'd like to get blood work re-done when I'm closer to my goal to see if weight loss alone helps.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    So, I've incorporated boiled eggs in my breakfast for quite some time now, but notice that a lot of people throw away the yolk and only eat the egg white. Cholestorol issues perhaps? Whats are the pros vs cons of eating the yolk?

Calories

YES!! Because each egg has over 300 calories!!

How about no?
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    So, I've incorporated boiled eggs in my breakfast for quite some time now, but notice that a lot of people throw away the yolk and only eat the egg white. Cholestorol issues perhaps? Whats are the pros vs cons of eating the yolk?

Calories

How about no?

My eggs (xtra large) are only 70-80 calories each.
  • bubsmom10
    bubsmom10 Posts: 43
    Options

Calories

How about no?

where the heck are you getting your eggs from? mine have 70 calories...mustta been a super chicken lmao
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Calories

How about no?

where the heck are you getting your eggs from? mine have 70 calories...mustta been a super chicken lmao

Dinosaur eggs, dur.
  • bubsmom10
    bubsmom10 Posts: 43
    Options

Calories

How about no?

Dinosaur eggs, dur.

silly me! of course!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Mother Nature cries when you throw out the yolk

Agreed! That's the best, most nutritious part...and what a way to waste something perfectly good.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol (well at least I did a year or so ago before I started eating better)... my doctor gave me a list of foods I couldn't eat anymore that included eggs and coconuts... I seem to have misplaced it :)

But egg yolks are too yummy. If I am home alone with no one to make dinner for my dinner is two poached eggs with multigrain toast cut up into little "fingers" for dipping and a nice big salad. Om nom nom. I'd like to get blood work re-done when I'm closer to my goal to see if weight loss alone helps.

Find a new doctor, eat things like eggs and coconuts and eliminate some processed foods and I'd be willing to bet your cholesterol goes down.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Because people are afraid of fat and calories, or they don't like the yoke. I don't like the yoke but I tend to eat it anyway (waist of food with lots of nutrients).
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I eat the whole yolk of my cadberry eggs, they are delish! .....Oh wait...wrong eggs :tongue:
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Calories

How about no?

What kind of eggs do you buy?? Ostrich? Large white eggs I buy at roughly 80 calories each
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Just interesting....:-)

1zqdnvo.jpg
  • megandme120
    megandme120 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just because it contains cholesterol doesn't mean it isn't extremely beneficial. Unless you really hate egg yolks, they are absolutely worth eating. Eggs are one of the most nutritious foods you can eat.

Agree! I love the yolk!