Views on America

Options

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

I agree as well. I began my college career as a Musical Theatre major. MUSICAL THEATRE. Somebody, ANYBODY please tell me what kind of job you can get with that degree. Most of the friends I had that graduated with that degree are waiters, bartenders, or work in retail. No thanks, those are the jobs I had when I was IN college. I quickly changed my major to Marketing and Advertising, a degree that got me the great job I have now.

My mom worked her butt off to put herself not only through undergrad, but graduate school as well. She has ZERO student loan debt and nobody handed her the money for her education. She got scholarships and paid for both herself by getting jobs and grants and what not. It can be done, but I think the problem is that so many of us feel entitled to it that we're not willing to put in the hard work it takes to achieve our goals. I'm glad I busted my *kitten* to get scholarships and to get the job I have now. It makes me insane every time somebody tells me they're a philosophy major or something and then cry about how worthless their undergrad degree is.

Again, missing the point. Education is great, the more people who have one the better. But not having an education does not make you disposable people, undeserving of a decent standard of living. Plenty of people work all their lives and have nothing, they can't retire, can't afford their medication, can't save money for their own children. Why? Because America is a country where if you aren't smart enough or rich enough, you apparently don't deserve to live and should be grateful to be allowed to exist at all.

This is wrong. It's a sickness in our society that this view is so accepted. There is also a blind spot in our society that allows educational opportunities to be an excuse for not having universal healthcare and a living wage even though there aren't enough good jobs to go around for the graduates that we do have.

I'm sorry but you are flat out wrong. There is no caste system here in the US as you paint it to be. Many millionaires and independently wealthy people come from nothing. America is the ONE PLACE that anyone can succeed. Nobody is actively barring you from becoming rich or famous. Nobody is stopping anyone from getting an education. And for those that can work their entire lives and have nothing to show for it...well that's life, sometimes that happens.

I see no place in America where people are barred by race, religion, sex, sexual preference, nor any other list of items from becoming wealthy, and if there are, guess what, you have the freedom to move to a different state and succeed there.

The ONLY people that we should be helping, protecting and caring for are those that are actually too disabled to work. The mentally handicapped, physically handicapped and children. Too many people in America are in it for "me" looking for a handout and don't work even though they are able bodied. The liberal system has ingrained this in them. Why work when you don't have to, we'll just take the money from someone else that is working so you don't have to.

I know people like this. I friend of mine's brother has been on welfare for years. He's still young, but hasn't worked since he was 18. There is nothing wrong with him. And somehow between his welfare checks and live in girlfriend he has more than I have after busting my hump for years in shcool, the military and pushing to get ahead in my career, and that's just not right.

So you're saying that anyone not intelligent or rich enough to seek higher education deserves lack of proper healthcare, decent housing, and basic necessities for themselves and their children? You think it's okay, because they aren't as smart as those who succeed?

Why not just give everyone an IQ test at the age of 4 and if they don't do well, execute them and be done with it? The system you're praising is based in eugenics and Social Darwinism. You're basically applauding a system that requires either your parents to succeed or for you to succeed before that society will value you and see you as anything but cheap, disposable labor.

Wrong again. Did you even read what I wrote? There as no such thing as not being rich enough to get higher education in this country. I grew up in a military family and we were poor. There was no way in hell I was going to be able to get my parents to pay for college, so I enlisted in the Army, did my time, used my benefits and applied for student loans. NOBODY stopped me from doing this. I had NO leg up compared to anyone else to get my education.

You also don't have to be smart to succeed. I'm not sure where your ideas come from. I know plenty of people that are what you might consider "dumb" or "uneducated" but are more successful than I am by far. They saw a dream and went after it within their skillset. I know a man that dropped out of school at age 13, but now owns several restaurants, coffee stands and other businesses. He's a multi-millionaire, makes more in a day than I do in a month, and is certainly not educated.

Those with actual disibilities should be nurtured and given every opportunity to be normal. I helped teach Special Education PE when I was in high school. The gym teacher that I worked for treated those kids normal, taught them to FIGHT through their fears and physical and mental limitations, and they all came out stronger and better for it. Your average person needs to be given dreams and direction, but the rest should be up to them to do. Remove all restrictions and favortism and people will find their own path to success.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    sorry my little topic got swallowed up in politics/ religion and stuff.... but I would like to thank all of you who contributed and gave me a hand in what to eat in USA ... think I might start a forum on what to do when I am there...................... :) you are all great x thank you again x
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Yes I can definitely attest to this. My husband was in the military for 3 years as an infantry solider. It's amazing what they think ibuprofen can cure. Also he's been out for over 3 years and still waiting on the VA to finish processing his paperwork.

Our military has been extremely effective when it comes to achieving the goals our politicians have set for it. It's not that they are incapable of providing proper healthcare to all soldiers and their families, it's simply that it isn't important to them to do so. You are confusing unwillingness with inability.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Extremist. That's how the united states are viewed. In everything that is seen and heard about americans here, there are no social/cultural norms. Everything is either very sexualised, or very prudish. Very wealthy or suprisingly poor. The entire culture is viewed as terribly over-indulgent and having an every-man-for-himself mentality. I have been to your country and i know that there are many normal people who live the same as i do and have a good head on their shoulders, but as whole it is not represented as such.

I don't have much room to speak though, everyone thinks i live in an igloo and say 'eh' a lot.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yay, it's back. The topic that was blocked earlier......................YAY!
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Extremist. That's how the united states are viewed. In everything that is seen and heard about americans here, there are no social/cultural norms. Everything is either very sexualised, or very prudish. Very wealthy or suprisingly poor. The entire culture is viewed as terribly over-indulgent and having an every-man-for-himself mentality. I have been to your country and i know that there are many normal people who live the same as i do and have a good head on their shoulders, but as whole it is not represented as such.

I don't have much room to speak though, everyone thinks i live in an igloo and say 'eh' a lot.

Make sure not to come to the USA on vacation. Sheesh.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    One of my friends posted that on his FB for his wife earlier. His wife has been bugging him to get a maid.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Hellllll YEAH! My state is awesome.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    If you work hard you will succeed in America is a myth.

http://www.ncsociology.org/sociationtoday/v21/merit.htm

In fact, those who work the most hours and expend the most effort (at least physically) are often the most poorly paid in society. By contrast, the really big money in America comes not from working at all but from owning, which requires no expenditure of effort, either physical or mental. In short, working hard is not in and of itself directly related to the amount of income and wealth that individuals have.

Just because it's not physical labor doesn't mean it's not extremely hard work. And being a smart investor DOES take a lot of hard work from the mental standpoint. You might not see it as "hard work" but aside from those born into wealthy families and handed tons of money from the get-go, every financially successful person had to start somewhere. You might not become a millionaire, but you're not going to be successful by sitting on your *kitten* waiting for a hand out either.

yes this. those that are not americans have to know that the majority of Americans are just trying to life a peaceful life and enjoy their family and work hard to provide. there are exceptions to this rule. as in everywhere else.

with that said I dont have anything ugly to say about your countries or the people. I believe that the majority just wants the same as Americans.
    Just know your facts before you speak.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Wow... just skimming the current pages there are so many misconceptions that I don't even know where to start... *sigh* and health care CAN be affordable if one learns how to navigate the system.

Exactly. People confuse halthcare with insurance.
    Insurance is what I have incase I need to go to the
    ER. Healtcare is what I receive when I give my DR
    $60. ($100 for a full Physical) Healthcare is quite
    affordable when you eliminate the middle man.
    That, and our health savings account (pretaxed)
    we do just fine.

Heck, I had to have out patient surgery done on
    my face, and it was $400 cash. I paid $100 that
    day, and $100 per month. In 3 months it was
    paid off. (that included the biopsy)

The only people that come between and my
    doctor, are the people they have working at
    the front desk, and the RN.

And that's the way it should be. No insurance companies, no government involvement.

Anyone that's been in the military or worked for the US government can tell you that government mandated healthcare will be a total and complete flaming train wreck.

government run healthcare seems to work for other countries... but we would manage to screw it up (ie- military/ us government workers)

But it doesn't actually work for other countries well. The standard of care is something in the toilet compared to US medicine. Trust me I know, I spent time in a hospital in Germany. They are butchers, they don't care about patients, and it shows. It's a nice idea, but it's not practical nor sustainable at the level that we are accustomed to in this country.

Just wait until you are on a waiting list for simple routine procedures for months and see how that goes.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Wow... just skimming the current pages there are so many misconceptions that I don't even know where to start... *sigh* and health care CAN be affordable if one learns how to navigate the system.

we do just fine.

And that's the way it should be. No insurance companies, no government involvement.

Anyone that's been in the military or worked for the US government can tell you that government mandated healthcare will be a total and complete flaming train wreck.

Yep, totally agree!!!!!! :wink:
  • Onesnap
    Options

government run healthcare seems to work for other countries... but we would manage to screw it up (ie- military/ us government workers)

6 year anniversary of universal healthcare in Massachusetts.

There's the good, the bad, and the ugly. The good is that for the past 6 years my friends with small businesses can *finally* afford health insurance for their employees. The rest of the US can learn a thing or two from us here in MA.

Oh and, we allow gay people the right to marry.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Wrong again. Did you even read what I wrote? There as no such thing as not being rich enough to get higher education in this country. I grew up in a military family and we were poor. There was no way in hell I was going to be able to get my parents to pay for college, so I enlisted in the Army, did my time, used my benefits and applied for student loans. NOBODY stopped me from doing this. I had NO leg up compared to anyone else to get my education.

You also don't have to be smart to succeed. I'm not sure where your ideas come from. I know plenty of people that are what you might consider "dumb" or "uneducated" but are more successful than I am by far. They saw a dream and went after it within their skillset. I know a man that dropped out of school at age 13, but now owns several restaurants, coffee stands and other businesses. He's a multi-millionaire, makes more in a day than I do in a month, and is certainly not educated.

Those with actual disibilities should be nurtured and given every opportunity to be normal. I helped teach Special Education PE when I was in high school. The gym teacher that I worked for treated those kids normal, taught them to FIGHT through their fears and physical and mental limitations, and they all came out stronger and better for it. Your average person needs to be given dreams and direction, but the rest should be up to them to do. Remove all restrictions and favortism and people will find their own path to success.

I must not be making my point clear. You keep referring back to opportunities and especially educational ones. But janitorial work doesn't require a good education. Yet America requires janitors. All I want is for those janitors and everyone else who does unskilled labor to have a decent quality of life and to be valued as human beings despite either being unwilling or unable to aspire to higher education. Because we need them, how dare we look down on them and ignore their needs?

Our unskilled laborers don't need private jets and summer homes, but they should be well treated. Because to do otherwise is to use them as objects instead of valuing them as human beings.

That's all I'm arguing here.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    No place is perfect but the USA does defend and protect all around the world. We do provide food to those that need it (not always within the US the way we should but any who), and we do have the freedom to be what we want, say what we want and so forth. But all that freedom does come at a price and everyone seems to have a hard-stance-belief on how the US is doing something or another wrong. But, I believe in the system. Not one person is perfect, therefore not one country is going to be either. BUT we can still whop *kitten* or protect it. Nobody can deny that :wink:
  • Onesnap
    Options
    It's only a matter of time before this topic gets locked again. Waiting...waiting...waiting....
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    No place is perfect but the USA does defend and protect all around the world. We do provide food to those that need it (not always within the US the way we should but any who), and we do have the freedom to be what we want, say what we want and so forth. But all that freedom does come at a price and everyone seems to have a hard-stance-belief on how the US is doing something or another wrong. But, I believe in the system. Not one person is perfect, therefore not one country is going to be either. BUT we can still whop *kitten* or protect it. Nobody can deny that :wink:

Right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: :love: :drinker:
  • Langlady
    Langlady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There are lots of great opinions and thought processes on here. I would like to add mine.

The school systems across the country have slipped considerably and the "No Child Left Behind" is a horrible act. I understand the intentions were good but it takes away all accountability on the child. That is a lesson they need to learn everywhere, not just at home. If a child comes from another country, school or a different education the grade they are put in should not be base on age but education level. It's aggravating.

Religion, here we go, parents should teach their children the morals of society and/or of their religious beliefs. But trying to strictly separate religious teaching from the schools is next to impossible. Religion has driven so much of history you can't eliminate it. And it stil drives history. Look what a "Muslim Etremist group" has done to our country. Now I iterate "extremist group" because what they have done is in no way part of the muslim religion and I am not muslim, this knowledge the learned to understand a thought process. Jewish persecution drove WWII, The Spanish Inquisition displaced jews from Spain, Confucianism and Buddhism battled in Japan shaping thier trade with Europe. All of these are very important in our history so completely elimination religion is impossible. I do believe we all need to learn something of other religions so that we aren't so quick to jump on the religious discrimination bandwagon just because we don't understand why a religion believe what they do. It's like discrimination someone becuase they have a different accent or different color skin.

Government, won't go there too much corruption to even put on a post.

College education, basically you want an education, pay for it. Whether its thorugh grants, financial aid, scholarships or whatever, its your dream not someone elses. If you don't want to pay for it, or work for it then too bad you get whatever job will hire you without a degree. SOmeone wants it bad it enough to put in the time and money for one. I am a military member gettin laid off due to budget cuts and I will be getting those financial aids and grants and I will probably spend the rest of my life paying it back but I will get some job that will pay enough to pay it off over my lifetime. The E (Entitlement) generation needs to learn to earn it. No one is entitled to anything unless you work for it.

Healthcare, ours is messed up. And I believe we are going about nationalizing it the wrong way. I don't have the answer to what the right way is but the politicians need to butt out of it and let it be ran on a state level not federal.

Our fore fathers are indeed rolling over in their graves I am sure but we the people have let it get this far. This is my only my way or the highway statement: If you hate American so much get out.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

we do just fine.

But it doesn't actually work for other countries well. The standard of care is something in the toilet compared to US medicine. Trust me I know, I spent time in a hospital in Germany. They are butchers, they don't care about patients, and it shows. It's a nice idea, but it's not practical nor sustainable at the level that we are accustomed to in this country.

Just wait until you are on a waiting list for simple routine procedures for months and see how that goes.

My brother had the complete opposite experience in Germany. He had been bit in the face by a dog when we lived there and the US military doctors wanted to do a simple sew up procedure and then put him on a list for plastic surgery when he got older. The German doctor presented a different procedure that would not require plastic surgery at all. My mother, being an RN, decided to go with the German doctor and you can only tell if what happened if you knew the story.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    It's only a matter of time before this topic gets locked again. Waiting...waiting...waiting....
    It wasn't locked because of content. It had reached its maximum 500 posts, so a new one had to be started.