Views on America

Options

Replies

• cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options

Oh, that and 'Capitalism: A Love Story" before anyone comments on the global economy.

How about reading a book? I recommend "Globalization and it's Discontents" by Joseph Sitglitz
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I think viewing 'Sicko' should be required viewing before anyone comments on the state of US healthcare.

Oh, that and 'Capitalism: A Love Story" before anyone comments on the global economy. If you don't know what a Dead Pheasants Insurance Policy is you really need to learn.

Indeed. A despicable practice.

Here is a very neutral description of the Dead Peasants Life Insurance Policy:

http://deadpeasantinsurance.com/

question- isnt michael moore a capitalist? isnt he extremely wealthy? not sure thats why im asking
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I must not be making my point clear. You keep referring back to opportunities and especially educational ones. But janitorial work doesn't require a good education. Yet America requires janitors. All I want is for those janitors and everyone else who does unskilled labor to have a decent quality of life and to be valued as human beings despite either being unwilling or unable to aspire to higher education. Because we need them, how dare we look down on them and ignore their needs?

Our unskilled laborers don't need private jets and summer homes, but they should be well treated. Because to do otherwise is to use them as objects instead of valuing them as human beings.

That's all I'm arguing here.

Are you looking down on janitors? I'm not. They provide a valuable service. Sure they may not get paid as much as other folks, but that is a choice that they made that brought them here. There is a janitor where I work that is putting himself through an aerospace engineering program. He wants more than what he gets as a janitor. Others are content to stay where they are. Anyone that is doing unskilled labor can skrimp and save and invest like the rest of us. Is it harder when you make less money? Sure, but why should anyone else have to pay to artifically inflate the wages of others?

I've never treated anyone that I've run across in an unskilled profession poorly. I also know for a fact that many of them get paid more than you'd like to beleive for your argument. My wife went to school to be a veterinary technicain, more out of love of animals than money, but the janitor I work with makes easily $7/hr more than she does with a college degree...
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    The bad, and the ugly.

http://www.necn.com/08/10/10/Mass-man-sues-over-health-insurance-law/landing_business.html?blockID=287568&feedID=4209

From JeepForum.

I only like you because you posted something from a Jeep forum.

It's not perfect here in MA but I'll take it. I'd rather not be bankrupt from medical bills.

That's why I carry a catastrophic plan. $75 is
    a lot cheaper than $350 plus co-pays. There
    has to be a plan "B" for me.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I think viewing 'Sicko' should be required viewing before anyone comments on the state of US healthcare.

Oh, that and 'Capitalism: A Love Story" before anyone comments on the global economy. If you don't know what a Dead Pheasants Insurance Policy is you really need to learn.

Um... Except for the fact the Michael Moore tends to leave out facts and distort things to his own views... just like a lot of other politically driven pundits and documentaries... I have family and close friends that work in the medical field... and I would trust them over a man who demonizes the same economic system that makes him fat, rich, and happy.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

question- isnt michael moore a capitalist? isnt he extremely wealthy? not sure thats why im asking

Take him out of the equation and watch the films. Then send me a PM once you've learned what goes on.

Dead Pheasants policies are real.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    The difference would be a world religions class in which you learned about many religions, their differences, history, etc, and then using religion as an excuse to teach abstinence only sex Ed, or things like creationism in a science class.
    Well, I believe Catholicism should be taught in a Catholic school by a Catholic theologian. I don't see a problem with a World Religions class being taught at public schools, though.

And as someone who sends their children to Catholic schoo, I agree. However, Catholics schools aren't paid for by the state or federal govt, they come from parish support, tuition and donations/endowment. And more than likely, you're only going to have Catholics there. It's in the public schools I refer to, where religion, (not a world religion class) should never enter the doors.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get into the politics of the country.

I can tell you what I do like about America...the fact that I can go there and buy so many things for half the price of what they cost here, they have such a variety of people, the lands are beautiful, and a lot of my good friends and family are from there...they are good people!
  • Onesnap
    Options

Um... Except for the fact the Michael Moore tends to leave out facts and distort things to his own views... just like a lot of other politically driven pundits and documentaries... I have family and close friends that work in the medical field... and I would trust them over a man who demonizes the same economic system that makes him fat, rich, and happy.

Take him out of the equation and take a step back and think. The films are designed to make you think.

I had to watch Roger and Me in college. Great film about the Detroit auto industry.

It's halftime in America, MFP.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Exactly religion and edution should stay FAR FAR a part.
    WHAT???? How, exactly, will people learn about world religions if they're not educated on them? I'm not sure I understand this statement. Unless, what you're meaning to say is that religion should not be taught in public schools.
    there is a difference between teaching religion, and teaching ABOUT religion... they were referring to the former
    What is the difference? Not being snarky. Trying to understand what you're saying.

I believe that the difference is that one religion should not be taught as the "proper" religion. Honestly, I think anyone's spiritual questions/quests should be their own to explore.
    I've never been to any public school in the US that taught any one religion is the "proper" religion. Quite the opposite, actually. It's easy to cast rocks from across the pond but do understand this.

I came from extremely humble beginnings. I'm the first in my family to attain a degree.

I worked in a good-paying field prior to earning that degree - for 30 years. Because I put my mind to it, I advanced.

I worked in so-called unskilled fields. I learned a lot about how to make myself a more valuable employee there. I have never been mistreated in a job in the US by a corporation or company, though some men in some of the construction jobs were more raucous than I was comfortable with. I learned to deal with them effectively - without sacrificing my comfort or principles.

I prefer paying for my education because it allows me to choose which school's dogma I listen to. When your education is "free" that isn't the case. I especially like the for-profit colleges because they're focused on customer service. They know I can take my business elsewhere, and I get more respect.

I went forward and got a graduate degree - to please myself. I'm not in a job that uses that degree... yet. But I'm paying for it because (a) I wanted to, (b) I could, and (c) I know how to work hard enough to get into a job that uses that degree.

This isn't a caste system here. I don't know what you experience, but we can rise above any hardship or station in life if we choose. It's called opportunity. That's what America is about. Nobody guarantees outcomes, but you are guaranteed the opportunity to excel and advance, if you're willing to work for it.

At the end of the day, what does any of this post have to do with losing weight or becoming fit? Are you just stirring the pot to see what rises to the top? If you don't care for the things you know about America's educational system, don't apply to any of our schools. It's pretty basic and no advanced training is necessary to understand that much.

Talk about preconceptions and unfounded opinions - good grief.
  • boomboom011
    Options

Take him out of the equation and watch the films. Then send me a PM once you've learned what goes on.

[/quotd

does he have anything to do with the production or making of this?
  • Onesnap
    Options

I can tell you what I do like about America...the fact that I can go there and buy so many things for half the price of what they cost here, they have such a variety of people, the lands are beautiful, and a lot of my good friends and family are from there...they are good people!

Thank you. My icon and my weight loss ticker are both beautiful things about this country (Massachusetts in winter and Maine in summer).
  • boomboom011
    Options

and you are too!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

You and I see America in a very different way. What you do for a living does not define who you are as a person.

What you do for a living defines how much society values you, including your life. Statistically, the working poor die younger and have poorer health than the wealthy for a number of reasons. Many of those reasons are tied directly to income.

In agreement with you on all most all of your posts. Class affects every aspect of your life. Completely.

I don't think that's unique to the US. Pretty sure that kinda goes for anywhere you live...BUT in the US (and many other places) you have to opportunity to move up into a different class level if you are willing to put in the work and make the right moves. Sure, some have more opportunities than others do, and that's life, but if you REALLY want to be successful- you can be. It might take 10 years or 30 years. And you might never be "rich." But you have to strive for something better and work toward it if you ever want to be above average.
  • Onesnap
    Options

[/quotd

does he have anything to do with the production or making of this?

He did not invent the Dead Pheasant policy, no. I'm pretty sure it was invented by...Walmart.
  • boomboom011
    Options

i agree.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Indeed. A despicable practice.

Here is a very neutral description of the Dead Peasants Life Insurance Policy:

http://deadpeasantinsurance.com/

Yes, yes he is. He's just one that hides behind fear mongering and political rhetoric to make his money. Last I checked he wasn't taking the time to help the poor and needy. He's just a fat sack of crap that makes money misinforming and distorting the truth.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    What you do for a living defines how much society values you
    Stop making sweeping generalizations about society.
    Statistically, the working poor die younger and have poorer health than the wealthy for a number of reasons. Many of those reasons are tied directly to income.
    To what do you contribute this fact? There are plenty of programs to help the poor in regards to their health. Do not blame this statistic on society.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Take him out of the equation and take a step back and think. The films are designed to make you think.

I had to watch Roger and Me in college. Great film about the Detroit auto industry.

It's halftime in America, MFP.

Nope, sorry, you cannot take a film director out of the equation of a documentary film... because that documentary is based on their view of the world and it's problems.... it doesn't make it true or thought provoking just to say "forget Michael Moore wrote it, directed it, and produced it"
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What you do for a living defines how much society values you
    Stop making sweeping generalizations about society.
    Statistically, the working poor die younger and have poorer health than the wealthy for a number of reasons. Many of those reasons are tied directly to income.
    To what do you contribute this fact? There are plenty of programs to help the poor in regards to their health. Do not blame this statistic on society.

I'm sure those that study society would disagree with you. I study sociology and I know there is a lot of research to back up what she is saying.