Views on America

Options

Replies

• boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    with regard to the people that think our constitution is stupid, well im pretty sure what I have to say will get this thread locked.

Our constitution limits the powers of our government, forces it to recognize and protect our God ordained rights, and gives everybody more freedom than ever in history. Anybody against that has an agenda for power and control, a desire to have someone else footing their bills, or is just completely ignorant of what our Constitution represents. I'm going to go ahead and say it and I'm not sorry for doing it either so if your feelings are disturbed take it out on yourself cause I'm standing on my rights of Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness (PROPERTY FROM MY EARNINGS).
    Yes, I've met a lot of people that are said to be smart, but wisdom escapes them excessively. Yeah, and that's Biblical too.

Want to prove me wrong? Then show me what you know about it, chances are you can't and that's because you don't know it. I suggest you begin to educate yourself with the Constitution before you decide to put it under your foot (like terrorist Bill Ayers, Obama's friend, is pictured on Time magazine in a dirty alley standing on our flag), It's call good judgement, another thing that is lacking around here too.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    All I want is for those janitors and everyone else who does unskilled labor to have a decent quality of life and to be valued as human beings despite either being unwilling or unable to aspire to higher education.
    Who looks down on janitors? Who believes the unskilled or uneducated do not deserve a decent quality of life and to be valued as human beings???? That's not the America I know. Certainly no one I've ever met feels that way.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Wow... just skimming the current pages there are so many misconceptions that I don't even know where to start... *sigh* and health care CAN be affordable if one learns how to navigate the system.

Exactly. People confuse halthcare with insurance.
    Insurance is what I have incase I need to go to the
    ER. Healtcare is what I receive when I give my DR
    $60. ($100 for a full Physical) Healthcare is quite
    affordable when you eliminate the middle man.
    That, and our health savings account (pretaxed)
    we do just fine.

Heck, I had to have out patient surgery done on
    my face, and it was $400 cash. I paid $100 that
    day, and $100 per month. In 3 months it was
    paid off. (that included the biopsy)

The only people that come between and my
    doctor, are the people they have working at
    the front desk, and the RN.

And that's the way it should be. No insurance companies, no government involvement.

Anyone that's been in the military or worked for the US government can tell you that government mandated healthcare will be a total and complete flaming train wreck.

government run healthcare seems to work for other countries... but we would manage to screw it up (ie- military/ us government workers)

But it doesn't actually work for other countries well. The standard of care is something in the toilet compared to US medicine. Trust me I know, I spent time in a hospital in Germany. They are butchers, they don't care about patients, and it shows. It's a nice idea, but it's not practical nor sustainable at the level that we are accustomed to in this country.

Just wait until you are on a waiting list for simple routine procedures for months and see how that goes.

why put words in my mouth? I never said I was for government run healthcare. I really don't think there's any winning no matter what way we go. Something will always find something to complain about... it is America after all
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Wow... just skimming the current pages there are so many misconceptions that I don't even know where to start... *sigh* and health care CAN be affordable if one learns how to navigate the system.

Exactly. People confuse halthcare with insurance.
    Insurance is what I have incase I need to go to the
    ER. Healtcare is what I receive when I give my DR
    $60. ($100 for a full Physical) Healthcare is quite
    affordable when you eliminate the middle man.
    That, and our health savings account (pretaxed)
    we do just fine.

Heck, I had to have out patient surgery done on
    my face, and it was $400 cash. I paid $100 that
    day, and $100 per month. In 3 months it was
    paid off. (that included the biopsy)

The only people that come between and my
    doctor, are the people they have working at
    the front desk, and the RN.

And that's the way it should be. No insurance companies, no government involvement.

Anyone that's been in the military or worked for the US government can tell you that government mandated healthcare will be a total and complete flaming train wreck.

government run healthcare seems to work for other countries... but we would manage to screw it up (ie- military/ us government workers)

Yes, but those other countries pay considerably higher taxes than we do. This bill will cost billions in just the next ten years...and WE will be paying for it.

I dislike the argument that healthcare should be a basic human right. Should food then be free? Housing? We need both to survive so when does that argument begin. Who is going to pay for those things?
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Yes I can definitely attest to this. My husband was in the military for 3 years as an infantry solider. It's amazing what they think ibuprofen can cure. Also he's been out for over 3 years and still waiting on the VA to finish processing his paperwork.

Our military has been extremely effective when it comes to achieving the goals our politicians have set for it. It's not that they are incapable of providing proper healthcare to all soldiers and their families, it's simply that it isn't important to them to do so. You are confusing unwillingness with inability.

When and where did you serve?

From personal experience as a child growing up in the military and serving on my own, I can tell you that there is not an unwillingness to provide those services, they are just very bad at it. They are not held to the same standards of care, and you cannot sue them for maiming or hurting you.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    with regard to the people that think our constitution is stupid, well im pretty sure what I have to say will get this thread locked.

Our constitution limits the powers of our government, forces it to recognize and protect our God ordained rights, and gives everybody more freedom than ever in history. Anybody against that has an agenda for power and control, a desire to have someone else footing their bills, or is just completely ignorant of what our Constitution represents. I'm going to go ahead and say it and I'm not sorry for doing it either so if your feelings are disturbed take it out on yourself cause I'm standing on my rights of Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness (PROPERTY FROM MY EARNINGS).
    Yes, I've met a lot of people that are said to be smart, but wisdom escapes them excessively. Yeah, and that's Biblical too.

Want to prove me wrong? Then show me what you know about it, chances are you can't and that's because you don't know it. I suggest you begin to educate yourself with the Constitution before you decide to put it under your foot (like terrorist Bill Ayers, Obama's friend, is pictured on Time magazine in a dirty alley standing on our flag), It's call good judgement, another thing that is lacking around here too.

Who on here said the constitution was stupid? I don't recall anyone saying that.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Extremist. That's how the united states are viewed. In everything that is seen and heard about americans here, there are no social/cultural norms. Everything is either very sexualised, or very prudish. Very wealthy or suprisingly poor. The entire culture is viewed as terribly over-indulgent and having an every-man-for-himself mentality. I have been to your country and i know that there are many normal people who live the same as i do and have a good head on their shoulders, but as whole it is not represented as such.

I don't have much room to speak though, everyone thinks i live in an igloo and say 'eh' a lot.

Make sure not to come to the USA on vacation.

...or you could read the whole paragraph. Have been there, and enjoyed it. I said i know these things to be untrue, but that this is how your country is represented by media.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's only a matter of time before this topic gets locked again. Waiting...waiting...waiting....
    It wasn't locked because of content. It had reached its maximum 500 posts, so a new one had to be started.

Wrong.

It was locked because we're not supposed to talk about politics on here.

A moderator squealed.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    All I want is for those janitors and everyone else who does unskilled labor to have a decent quality of life and to be valued as human beings despite either being unwilling or unable to aspire to higher education.
    Who looks down on janitors? Who believes the unskilled or uneducated do not deserve a decent quality of life and to be valued as human beings???? That's not the America I know. Certainly no one I've ever met feels that way.

It is the America I see every day. The working poor are often are forced to apply for aid because they don't earn enough to feed their children despite working full time. The working poor are often out of work because American jobs keep getting sent overseas by corporations intent on getting the most profit by chasing lower wages and less worker rights. The working poor have the worst insurance, either their job offers them none, or their job only offers low quality insurance that won't really cover their healthcare needs. The working poor are often hired in 'part time' jobs of 30-35 hours/wk so that companies don't have to provide any benefits at all.

And then when those workers complain, people say, go to college, get a degree. But if they did, there wouldn't be enough jobs to go around anyway, and then there wouldn't be anyone to do necessary but low skill jobs.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    and I quote from the earlier post, 500 or not I think it got locked due to content:

Hey folks! While we all enjoy a good debate, some topics are better left for private messages, groups or outside MFP all together.

Please keep in mind this guideline while contributing to the post: No Political Topics in the Main Forums

Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal.

Thanks for your understanding-
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    It is the America I see every day. The working poor are often are forced to apply for aid because they don't earn enough to feed their children despite working full time. The working poor are often out of work because American jobs keep getting sent overseas by corporations intent on getting the most profit by chasing lower wages and less worker rights. The working poor have the worst insurance, either their job offers them none, or their job only offers low quality insurance that won't really cover their healthcare needs. The working poor are often hired in 'part time' jobs of 30-35 hours/wk so that companies don't have to provide any benefits at all.
    And then when those workers complain, people say, go to college, get a degree. But if they did, there wouldn't be enough jobs to go around anyway, and then there wouldn't be anyone to do necessary but low skill jobs.
    You and I see America in a very different way. What you do for a living does not define who you are as a person.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I think viewing 'Sicko' should be required viewing before anyone comments on the state of US healthcare.

Oh, that and 'Capitalism: A Love Story" before anyone comments on the global economy. If you don't know what a Dead Pheasants Insurance Policy is you really need to learn.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

You and I see America in a very different way. What you do for a living does not define who you are as a person.

What you do for a living defines how much society values you, including your life. Statistically, the working poor die younger and have poorer health than the wealthy for a number of reasons. Many of those reasons are tied directly to income.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    6 year anniversary of universal healthcare in Massachusetts.

There's the good, the bad, and the ugly. The good is that for the past 6 years my friends with small businesses can *finally* afford health insurance for their employees. The rest of the US can learn a thing or two from us here in MA.

The bad, and the ugly.

http://www.necn.com/08/10/10/Mass-man-sues-over-health-insurance-law/landing_business.html?blockID=287568&feedID=4209

From JeepForum.
  • Onesnap
    Options

What you do for a living defines how much society values you, including your life. Statistically, the working poor die younger and have poorer health than the wealthy for a number of reasons. Many of those reasons are tied directly to income.

See my comment on a Dead Pheasants insurance policy. That's when a company cashes in when you die. It's real and no one ever talks about it.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    6 year anniversary of universal healthcare in Massachusetts.

There's the good, the bad, and the ugly. The good is that for the past 6 years my friends with small businesses can *finally* afford health insurance for their employees. The rest of the US can learn a thing or two from us here in MA.

The bad, and the ugly.

http://www.necn.com/08/10/10/Mass-man-sues-over-health-insurance-law/landing_business.html?blockID=287568&feedID=4209

From JeepForum.

I only like you because you posted something from a Jeep forum.

It's not perfect here in MA but I'll take it. I'd rather not be bankrupt from medical bills.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    I think viewing 'Sicko' should be required viewing before anyone comments on the state of US healthcare.

Oh, that and 'Capitalism: A Love Story" before anyone comments on the global economy. If you don't know what a Dead Pheasants Insurance Policy is you really need to learn.

Indeed. A despicable practice.

Here is a very neutral description of the Dead Peasants Life Insurance Policy:

http://deadpeasantinsurance.com/
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

In agreement with you on all most all of your posts. Class affects every aspect of your life. Completely.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Indeed. A despicable practice.

Here is a very neutral description of the Dead Peasants Life Insurance Policy:

http://deadpeasantinsurance.com/

Thank you, I knew there was a link! :)
  • Onesnap
    Options

In agreement with you on all most all of your posts. Class affects every aspect of your life. Completely.

The good news is you can pull yourself out of a particular class. Ask anyone who was the first in their family to go to College (my Mom). Or someone that worked 50 years, 6 days a week for a family business (my grandparents). The American dream exists in some families. I'm lucky to be part of a family that it's real for.