"Enhancement" or "Cheating"? Your opinion.

Options
12346»

Replies

• jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    My cousin was born crippled. His biological father gave his mom a severe beating while she pregnant and his knees never developed correctly. Later on he got some corrective surgery that wasn't available before and he juiced up to develop the muscles in his legs and had all sorts of physical therapy, but at the same time he started lifting heavy and hasn't stopped since. He still walks with a limp, but he can get around a lot better. Does that make him a crippled guy who can standing overhead press an average to large size man or a crippled guy on roids?
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Meh, the dude from the OP wasn't cheating in the direct definition of the term. I replied because he was being a douche and I wanted to point out that he might have gained some personal emotional growth from doing it the natural way.

He argued that he did it naturally before, so he was just getting back what he had. I say he still could have benefit from the personal emotional growth. Not every journey to the same destination is the same. Considering his attitude about the whole thing, he definitely could stand to have a humbling experience or two.

They might work just as hard or harder, but delivery of the message is important too. Belittling others for their lack of accomplishments is not the way to go.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Cheating means breaking the rules to gain an advantage.
  • cuteepi
    cuteepi Posts: 5
    Options
    if you are looking for a really FAST way to lose weight you should definitely check out The Truth About Six Pack Abs. Its a fitness system created by fitness guru Michael Geary, and it is by far the most effective weight loss program I have ever tried. I’ve only been using it for a little over two weeks and I’ve already lost 12 pounds. The workouts are fast and effective, not difficult at all, and as far as I know you can’t find them anywhere else.

The Truth About Six Pack Abs costs about 30 bucks, and its worth every penny. You can read a comprehensive review of this system at http://www.weightlossreviewer.com
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    if you are looking for a really FAST way to lose weight you should definitely check out The Truth About Six Pack Abs. Its a fitness system created by fitness guru Michael Geary, and it is by far the most effective weight loss program I have ever tried. I’ve only been using it for a little over two weeks and I’ve already lost 12 pounds. The workouts are fast and effective, not difficult at all, and as far as I know you can’t find them anywhere else.

The Truth About Six Pack Abs costs about 30 bucks, and its worth every penny. You can read a comprehensive review of this system at http://www.weightlossreviewer.com
    So what are you saying? Would that be cheating or an enhancement?
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I think that in order to be cheating, there needs to be an implied or actual breach of the rules.

For instance "first one to lose 20 lbs wins" exercising isn't cheating because that is pretty common and expected unless it was agreed upon not to do so. Liposuction would be cheating because it is rare enough that one wouldn't expect someone to do that and because the weight wasn't lost... You know exactly where it went lol

The swimsuit example would be cheating if it was a suit only one person had access to, but not of both people could have done it and knew they could do it.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    So what are you saying? Would that be cheating or an enhancement?

Lol that would be a spammer's ad :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I hope that we all can keep this civil as a debate because I know we all won't see eye to eye on it, but let's try to "hear out" opinions and views on this.

A thread I was on this morning inspired me to post a thread on this. The thread showed progress of a member losing weight and doing good, but "enhancement" was included to assist along the way. Some of the debate went out of bounds, but it got me thinking of whether some thought it was cheating or enhancement?

Think about this for a second: 2 people go on a weight loss plan together and lose 20lbs. They bet each other who can get to it first. One decides to just do it by calorie deficit, the other by calorie deficit and exercise. The person who does exercise loses faster and ends up winning. Now is this "enhancement" to what the other is doing or is it "cheating" if the goal is just to lose weight the fastest?

2 swimmers on the same team with the same speed on a lap wear different suits. One wears a regular Speedo while the other wears one with "friction resistance" in the water. Enhancement or cheating?

A golfer who used to wear glasses gets his eyes "lasiked" so he doesn't have to wear them and slightly improves his vision. He now golfs better. Enhancement or cheating?

Someone takes enhancement drugs to lose weight and improve physique. Many call this "cheating", but why would it be if the others up above wouldn't be considered cheating?

My personal opinion is that anything you can do to "enhance" what you're doing is just that.........enhancement. If a child studies with flash cards and his peers do not and he scores better, then he enhanced his learning skills. If he had the exact answers to the test and just copied them down and then transferred it to the test, then obviously it would be cheating. But where do you draw the line to enhancement and cheating?

Thoughts and be civil.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

What would really be cheating is if the person concerned had the means to his/her disposal and chose to do nothing, they are then cheating themselves.

Nothing wrong with enhancement, it is certainly not cheating. The person who does not, for instance do exercise to assist in their weightloss cannot really turn around to the person who DOES exercise and accuse them of unfairness or gamesmanship, that would be ridiculous.

The person who enhances their performances is giving themselves as best a chance as possible, the fact that the one who does NOT use enhancements is hardly his/her problem, after all, the non-exercise one could always do workouts etc and have the same chance (barring medical reasons why they could not)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Cheating means breaking the rules to gain an advantage.
    So do you think there are any rules in weightloss/gain?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

SPAM. I'd rather eat it than read about it.

IDEA Fitness member