MFP Meanies :(

Options
Hey everyone. So I started a topic today by asking a simple question regarding exercise and people laughed at me. They were a few nicer ones who helped out alot but others kept quoting and laughing. I don't think any question is dumb when you are now starting out with healthy living....i think you should be asking questions everyday,

Not everyone is encouraging. They would actually make you wanna leave MFP......

Replies

• iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I agree. Let them haters hate. Do your own thing! People are meanies.
  • love2bthin
    love2bthin Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hey....I'm sorry if someone made fun of you. 99% of people are here on wonderful. Please don't leave, just ignore those people and do this for you. Send me a friend request if you like:flowerforyou:
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. Don't let the jerks get you down.
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    Hey everyone. So I started a topic today by asking a simple question regarding exercise and people laughed at me. They were a few nicer ones who helped out alot but others kept quoting and laughing. I don't think any question is dumb when you are now starting out with healthy living....i think you should be asking questions everyday,

Not everyone is encouraging. They would actually make you wanna leave MFP......
    Dont be so sensitive, this is the Internet after all. Shrug them off, take what little you did learn, and move forward. (:
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    I agree we (MFP) people should be encouraging each other, not making fun of new people...and I would advise you to continue asking questions...and ignore the rude immature people who laugh and make fun. Blessings sweetie.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just ignore them. Sometimes I get so frustrated with how rude some people are to other members, I have felt the need to jump in, but I'm going to even stop that. Ignore them and read the helpful messages in the string.

Some people just get off on making others feel bad. I'm thinking they are miserable people themselves.

By all means though, stay! This is a fantastic place to log calories, exercise, and get the motivation from friends and success stories to reach you goals.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Try not to let it get you down! There are a lot of really nice people on here too.
  • SuperSonz
    SuperSonz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :) I am very appreciative of your encouragement :flowerforyou:
  • Zardpack
    Zardpack Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Very sad! There are a lot of great people too though! And, I love when friends have that encouraging word to share!
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. It makes them feel better to put someone else down. Listen to the people who support you, find a good network of friends here. I have an awesome supportive group. Don't let *kitten* clowns discourage you and make you leave. MFP has worked for me and I would not be where I am without the support and encouragement of people that I respect.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I used to belong to a different weight loss site, and they were WAY meaner on there. I think some of the meanies are actually just trying to be funny, not realizing that they are being hurtful.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Quite a few people were hard on you. I was surprised, actually. I typically find folks supportive. Today, in your thread, I didn't.

Don't leave. Just ignore insensitive folks. You said it yourself: not everyone is knowledgable. And you want to be. This is a good place to learn.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    ignore!.. I answered in your other post and answered you in a polite way, i think! hehe
    Everybody has the right to ask anything they want , thats what the site is for..
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    The common posters on here get to know each other, and sometimes an innocent topic is turned into a field for back and forth play between friends. It isn't meant to be mean, and I'm sorry if you felt the replies on your TOM thread were being unsupportive. It seemed to me that much more people were helping out than were joking around. Believe me, that isn't always the case.
    Just take the good advice to heart, and laugh with the rest of them.
  • ashleighk90
    ashleighk90 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    There are no stupid questions -agreed! Ask what you need! There are so many great people on here, they DO outweigh the bad!

Not quite the same but similar... gym people snickering at me today while I was trying to figure out some off the weight machines. My boyfriend was showing me how to use them, and I was in a really good mood about starting to do some strength. Yes, I was smiling/giggling a little/asking a lot of questions... but I was just trying to learn & have a good time doing so. Why says you have to be straight-faced to lift? It's just not my style.

Luckily I was able to ignore them today and enjoy my workout, but I know on other days it would bother me more and really deter me. Ick!

Good luck to you. Surround yourself with positive MFPs!
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    There are people on here, just as in life, who will take any opportunity to be funny/hurtful. They are not thoughtful of other people's feelings. Forgive them and move on. Your question was not stupid. I'm sure there a lot of women who are unsure about exercise during their periods. I bet you helped someone else out by asking that question. And....Now you know the answer. :) Keep your chin up. Most people on here are really cool.
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I actually read you're original post, and thought it was disappointing that some of the responses were so rude. Think of it this way, I'm sure there are many ladies wondering the same thing, but didn't have the courage to ask :)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Depending on what you were asking, it may have been aggravation at a repeat thread. In other forums I've been active on I notice that when you hear the same questions every day or every week from either new members or ones who have not wandered into that forum section before, it gets old and some people will just start being rude because they don't want to repeat the same thing over and over. If not that, then depends on if your question gets perceived as trivial, ridiculous, or something that doesn't need to get asked even if you and a number of others think otherwise. (and no I'm not saying what you asked was dumb, I don't even know what it was and frankly I'd rather someone ask and it be simple to answer rather than not ask and get frustrated)

Plus, it's the internet. Every site has jerks, trolls, people who think they're funny by being a ****wad and this place is no exception, but it doesn't mean it can't be helpful as well. Just take the rude stuff with a grain of salt, put them on your ignore list if it really bothers you, report them if it's blatant harassment or spam, and move on. Either someone actually helpful will come along or you can try again later.
  • britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    Options
    sorry that happened....i saw that post (repsonded with a nice post ) and honestly it was very high school (middle school even) comments from a lot of the ppl. not everyone is like that and i hope you find enough encouragment from the rest of us to get past those commments.
This discussion has been closed.