40 yrs old and above???

Options

Replies

• DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    42 here, Feeling better than I ever did when I was in my 20s and 30s. Feel free to add me!
  • Fubar_Bill
    Fubar_Bill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Present!

You can do it! Just need to put the time in to move!

As we get older out metabolism slows down gradually.

The only way to counter act that and be able to get enough calories to enjoy life is to keep your body moving!

Cheers!

- Bill

P.S. Feel free to add me if you like
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    In answer to the question about the importance of getting enough protein, as you get older your muscle mass can decrease. So eating plenty of protein and also doing strength training to maintain muscle is very important.

Foods with good levels of protein - salmon, chicken, tuna, Quinoa (a grain), almonds, eggs. You can also add a good quality protein powder to just about anything - like to your oatmeal in the morning or in a blender with a banana and almond milk. Yum!

Definitely try to eat plenty of protein. It also has the added benefit of making you feel full longer.

Good luck!
    Diane
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am in this Club... Open to adding new friends.

=^x^=
  • surgesilk
    surgesilk Posts: 92
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend! I'm 43 and have lost 78lbs in 5 months.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 now, but started this journey when I was 39 because the big 4-0 was looming!
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I'm 44. Feeling very healthy!
  • shimewazaMan
    Options
    I'm 41 and determined to get in the best shape of my life before I turn 42! Feel free to add me!
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and totally know the feeling - I am down to the last 15 pounds or so and it is taking twice the amount of work to lose half the amount of weight.

Feel free to add me as well.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and training to run my first half marathon ever. Found that, for me, running makes losing weight much easier. The half marathon was my not-so-subtle way of telling 40 "screw you"!! LOL

Feel free to add me as a friend. My only other friend is my husband!! :-)

d
  • kiranicsmom
    kiranicsmom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    41 here and working on being more fit in my 40s than I was in my 30s (actually I am already there). Feel free to add me as a friend. I enjoy running and Zumba.
  • steveman99
    Options
    I'm 53 and you can add me. I'm new at this and am in it for the long haul!!! Keep a positive attitude, push yourself sometimes, when it is necessary, you won't be sorry.
    Stephen
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi Jules, I'm 51 and found the same problem as you. I tried and tried for over 10 years and everyone told me to give up. I didn't give up. It really is a matter of eating less, and the more body fat you have you can actually get away with way less than myfitnesspal says, once you get to a lower BF then it's really important to eat closer to what MFT says, it's pretty accurate for the calorie goal (ignoring the extra it gives for exercise). I finally lost 50 lbs at age 50, then another 10 lbs this year to lean out for a fitness modeling photo shoot. IT CAN BE DONE. I've found it helps to ignore the extra calories MFP gives you for exercise. Enter your exercise after you are done eating for the day.

We can talk more. I'll send you a friend request. :smile:
    -Bobbie
    bobbiesfitness.com
  • PaigeStephenson
    PaigeStephenson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that ... but I am unable to stay within my limit. Always over on my proteins and find it hard to have a meal without but feel like I'm going to have to if I am to stay within the limit. If I go over on my protein and stay within my calories, is this going to be detrimental?
    Thanks - sorry I wasn't more clear
  • dirextor
    dirextor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Creeping up on my 48th birthday. Spent the better part of 20 years in the morbid obesity category. I have managed to lose 100 lbs but I am a bit stuck. I signed up for MFP in 2010 but never really made use of it. I've been going for broke for the last few weeks trying to get off the holiday chub. Add me if you like, I need all the help I can get.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and am NOW happy to say I am in the best shape of my life...it is much harder (have lost a stone) but so worth it!!! Be positive!!!!!!! Add me if you like, I enjoy helping people as much as I can, we are all in this together!!!
  • Rosiered2
    Rosiered2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Exercise has changed my life! I am losing weight faster, I am sleeping deeper, I am breathing deeper, my stamina is better, my energy is through the roof! It took a couple weeks of exercising EVERY day and suddenly I woke up one day and realized that I no longer hated exercise I LOVE IT and I NEED IT and I WANT IT...........and my heart loves it......cholesterol dropped 26 points.......exercise is the key to losing weight, to getting fit, and to feeling younger! Of course, just my humble opinion! Give it a 30 day try and see if everything doesn't change......

I happen to be a Richard Simmons junkie! My newest dvd is the disco one, starting it today.....enjoyable, sweat myself silly, and feel amazing when I'm done.......
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    turning 40 sooner than I would like!!
    anyone have any input on how important it is to stay within ALL your metrics? I have no problem with the overall cal count but can NEVER seem to stay within my protein count. Is this going to hinder my progress?

MFP is low on protein, always exceed it :) 1gram per body weight in pounds is perfectly fine, bodybuilders even do 2 grams/lb. That's 300g per day for a 150lb person. Wouldn't go higher than that to, you start getting into the kidney/liver long term issue, i think its called ketosis.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    46 and in the best shape of my life! feel free to add me if you like.:flowerforyou:
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Just turned 48 and proud of it! It's not as hard as it seems...you just have to have a proven workout program, clean diet and great support!:smile: