Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    hungryman1-723246.jpg
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same way. The only vegetables that he eats is peas, carrots and potatoes. And not too often either.

Here's a recipe that I tried last night and he approved: Cooking Light Old-Fashioned Chicken Fricassee

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/03/caring-for-your-introvert/302696/

I put it in the crock pot for 3 hours on low and it was delicious. I also did not add celery or garlic cloves. I cooked the onion in butter first before putting it the crock pot also. I served over barley. Very tasty.
  • CandanceWeaver
    CandanceWeaver Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So I have a specialty that I call Super Sauce. It is pasta sauce with everything but the kitchen sink in it.

brown meat with veggie mix
    8 oz. ground turkey spiced with your favorite sausage style spices (lots of spice ideas on line) when you buy bulk ground turkey mix it with the spices and either let in fridge for a day and freeze extras, as the turkey absorbs the spices and tastes more like sausage that way.

Veggie mix: I grind the following in a food processor and add it to the sauce, so it is my secret recipe as many a person has said, I hate zucchini, or I hate mushrooms, or I hate carrots; and they don't even notice that they are in it as they are ground to a puree and cooked with spices. This is a great way to use up those veggies that are on your groceries "extra ripe" or "bruised" shelf.
    1 extra large clove of garlic or 1 heaping teaspoon of the bulk garlic you get at the big box store in a jar
    1 sm onion
    1 sm zucchini
    2 med leaves of kale - KALE is high in good vitamins!
    2 med mushrooms - even I hated mushrooms at one time in my life!
    1/4 medium red pepper
    extra small wedge of cabbage (optional)
    1 extra small stalk of celery (optional) - not to much or changes flavor too much
    1 small carrot or 5 baby carrots - my husband hates carrots, but never has noticed them in this dish

cook meat and veggies until veggies are tender and liquid from veggies is reduced by 1/2

Add:
    1 can diced tomatoes w/basil
    3/4 - 1 cup favorite pasta sauce
    Italian seasoning to taste
    oregano to taste
    Salt and Pepper to taste

put over your favorite starch (pasta, rice, potato.... )

serves 2-3

This is so hearty that you will think it is full of meaty goodness, but really it is full of the veggies; many of which everyone has an opinion about. But by using sausage spicing in the turkey and a fare amount of Italian seasoning at the end, it turns out to be a family and friends favorite, as well as one of the dishes my husband most often ask me to make!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    bump for later
  • mattschorr64
    mattschorr64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas.

Thanks!!
  • jubeesh
    jubeesh Posts: 156
    Options
    bump
  • mkc2004
    mkc2004 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Amen to our meat n tator husbands, gotta bump this! i get easily discouraged if i feel like my family does not enjoy the healthy meals that i want to eat!
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the links, and ideas. My hubby is much like OP so these are great!
  • lisitabonita
    lisitabonita Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I had to hide veggies at first. I added frozen spinach and fresh mushrooms (cut up really small) into pasta sauce. Spinach mixed into mac n cheese worked too. Puree things and add them to sauces and soups. and once he has admitted to liking something, then tell him, he may open up to more things. That is what worked for me and my hubby (before I was with him he had a freezer full of hungry man dinners and cans of hominy).
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I used to puree veggies and put the puree in things like stew, bolognaise sauce etc. He couldn't see it, so he didn't whinge! Then slowly started dicing instead of pulverising, then chopping instead of dicing, then having some out of the sauce with salt and pepper only...eventually he just started eating his viggies lol!

There are still some veggies that he just will not eat - mushrooms, beans and anything leafy. And he won't eat a salad, but will have grated raw carrot and cucumber and tomato if I make home-made burgers.

I blame his father - he is 70 and still won't eat anything that looks like a vegetable - he thinks it's 'woman' food. *sigh*
    SNEAKY.....:bigsmile:
  • horses7777
    Options
    bump for ideas
  • Sequence88
    Options
    Bump :)
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    have him try mushroom & onions fried in butter... if he likes it, slowly start trying adding other vegetables to it until you come up with a green concoction he likes!
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My man is like this, but we've slowly been expanding his list of exceptions to the no veggie rule.

I got a grocery gift card from work and bought lean steaks. I cooked them and had mine with a smallish salad. He had potato chips and salad covered in huge amounts of cheese and french dressing.

He will eat most lean meats so I'm expanding my list of different recipes to try that can be served with a salad for me and something else for him.
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread
  • brittrose33
    Options
    Very helpful thread for recipes for my boyfriend. Thanks guys! :smile:
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FLmom2J