Should obese people who can't fit in 1 seat pay for 2?

Options
nnylee
nnylee Posts: 814 Member
I read an article where a lady on an airplane had to pay for two seats since she couldn't fit in one. So I want to know what your opinion is on obese people who can't fit in one seat, should they pay for two?

Replies

• kidakiwi04
    kidakiwi04 Posts: 238
    Options
    It's unfair, but not uncommon. Airplanes make their money per seat and if one person is taking up two seats then they are losing money. Same thing with kids once they stop being lap babies h then you have to pay for their ticket.

Like I said it's not fair, but it's hoe they make they're money.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i agree with it but its a sucky situation for everyone.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    When the obese person is affecting the comfort of their fellow passenger because they are taking up part of their seat then I do think it is fair--granted the seats aren't exactly large. The airlines like to fit as many passengers into the sardine can as possible.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Sad but true. Seats are only so big and if a person is larger than the seat allows it is a fact of life they have to pay for 2. Whether they should or not is irrelevent.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I read an article where a lady on an airplane had to pay for two seats since she couldn't fit in one. So I want to know what your opinion is on obese people who can't fit in one seat, should they pay for two?

Yes, I do not want to be crowded in my seat cause they tried to squeeze that butt into one seat.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    No. I think that's messed up.
    In that case, why can't I get on as a child, if I'm that small?
    There's no need to put people on the spot like that.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Because you're still taking up a whole seat. Maybe you could sit in someone's lap?
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    It's unfair, but not uncommon. Airplanes make their money per seat and if one person is taking up two seats then they are losing money. Same thing with kids once they stop being lap babies h then you have to pay for their ticket.

Like I said it's not fair, but it's hoe they make they're money.
    Why is that unfair then? Did you mean to say "unfortunate"? Help me out here.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Because you're still taking up a whole seat. Maybe you could sit in someone's lap?
    Could. Or put my bony azz in a carseat.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this happened to someone i know. luckily they were able to shuffle seats so that she didnt have to pay, but it was a HUGE slap in the face for her about her weight

unfortunate situation and embarrassing. i dont know what the correct thing to do is, because i see both sides of the argument.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    this happened to someone i know. luckily they were able to shuffle seats so that she didnt have to pay, but it was a HUGE slap in the face for her about her weight

unfortunate situation and embarrassing. i dont know what the correct thing to do is, because i see both sides of the argument.
    The correct thing to do is make the policy clear upon the purchase of the seat, and handle situations on-plane with respect and dignity. The passengers need to comply with the policy too.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I was on the train the other day... there was one seat left.. there was a severely obese guy who took up 2 seats.. The real issue was there was someone with an actual disability who needed to have a seat... He said he was too heavy to stand which is probably true...

I am sorry but he should have to purchase 2 tickets.. Obesity is on the rise and people need to realize that it causes more issues than just there health.

Dont get me wrong I love everyone and have some mates who are extremely Obese.. But its not fair to take 2 seats.. I pay for a seat and I had to stand for over an hour home... I paid for that service.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    if the whole flight is booked but that one extra seat then they are losing money thats understandable. if there are unbooked or unoccupied seats then they should refund the extra seat. mayby they should make seats bigger in general i mean common who wants to be so packed into a little seat the person beside them is all up in there space lol
  • CaoimheAine
    CaoimheAine Posts: 195
    Options
    Yes. It's terrible unfair to everyone else. No one wants someone else invading their personal space. It's the same on public transport. Why should someone have to pay the same price to stand up when there are no chairs while you take up both!?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I think they should. I have been wedged in a middle seat between 2 VERY large people before and it was utterly ridiculous. One woman lifted the armrest between us and her thigh and arm pushed right on top of me for 4 hours! The other one had her leg extended into my leg area. I got up and asked to move (discreetly) but the flight was full. I was not rude to these women but I was very annoyed.

I paid for my seat, and I should get the whole seat; I didn't get a discount bc she took up 30% of my seat. If someone is going to take up more space than 1 seat, sorry, they gotta pay.

I know it's expensive, but unless they're gonna pay for 30% of the next passenger's seat, they need to suck it up.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Yes and anorexic people who can't fit in any seat should fly for free.
  • Longtobeslim
    Longtobeslim Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Its sad that this is an issue but I think they should have to pay for two seats. Airline tickets are so expensive and I don't think a person should have to be uncomfortable because a larger person is taking up more than just the seat they paid for.

It might not be fair for the larger person to have to pay for two seats. But its also not fair for s smaller person to have to be overly cramped because of someone else.

Just my opinion.

Erin
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Keep in mind too that the extra weight means more fuel consumption, and hence, more expense for the airline.
  • jcriscuolo
    jcriscuolo Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I recently boarded a Southwest plane with a B-22 boarding pass which meant I was going to sit way in the back of the plane.
    I was 6'2" 250 lbs at the time and there was an obese woman sittting in the middle seat of the first row (no first class on Southwest). Because there was legroom, I chose to sit next to her even though I was jammed in there. Eventually, the flight attendant intervened and asked if it would be more comfortable if she took the aisle seat and I took the window seat. So we both moved and I had legroom for the flight. And no one took the middle seat because they would have had to sit between two obese people.

She was using her obesity in hopes that no one would pick a seat on either side of her.

Why am I telling this story? I don't know... but this woman was trying to take three seats for herself.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Yes and anorexic people who can't fit in any seat should fly for free.
    They can go in the overhead compartment.
This discussion has been closed.