Should obese people who can't fit in 1 seat pay for 2?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    They should post their policy: Anyone who weighs over "x" including cloths or anyone with a waist or chest measurement has to purchase an additional ticket, or pay an additional fee. The scales should be owned by the airport and not an airline and subject to strict certifications. If it was clearly stated up front, then you would know what you are getting into.

One of the reasons I never fly is my size, both height and weight. The planes would not be comfortable, and this is the reason I like to sit on ends when I go places.
    I agree in principe, but then what? Weigh people at airports?
  • leighannwilliams
    leighannwilliams Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am obese, 370 lbs of OBESE.. I'm losing weight. I don't fly. The last time I flew I was with my husband and I had a arm that raised up and i did get into his lap a little bit. It was my husband, and he didn't care. I get tired of you that want to say, well LOSE weight, or GET over it, and some very rude comments. I will pay that 2nd seat if need be. The rude comments are uncalled for ..
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    They should post their policy: Anyone who weighs over "x" including cloths or anyone with a waist or chest measurement has to purchase an additional ticket, or pay an additional fee. The scales should be owned by the airport and not an airline and subject to strict certifications. If it was clearly stated up front, then you would know what you are getting into.

One of the reasons I never fly is my size, both height and weight. The planes would not be comfortable, and this is the reason I like to sit on ends when I go places.
    I agree in principe, but then what? Weigh people at airports?
    Reports indicate that it has been considered, as the weight of the plane has a big impact on fuel consumption ($$$). It'd be a PR nightmare though.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Once I went to an amusement park with my son and couldn't ride a roller coaster because I couldn't fit in the 'test seat' at the start of the line.

I wonder how long it will be before the airlines have those at the checkin counters.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Airlines sell seats so you pay for each seat thats the deal. Pretty simple, I don't think its against obese people. You wouldn't expect to get 2 apples for the price of one because you need two to fill you up....
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    By rules of logic....yes.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    That's one of the downfalls of being morbidly obese. While it sounds unfair but we must remember that these companies are generating money & by taking two seats while only paying for one will make them lose money. My Dad works as a Executive Director of Finance in an airline company & usually the plane seats are just enough for moderately overweight people.

Also this also applies to any public utility vehicles.
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    No. I think that's messed up.
    In that case, why can't I get on as a child, if I'm that small?
    There's no need to put people on the spot like that.

The reason airlines offer tickets for children isn't because they cost any different but so they can allocate a child next to an adult and so they can also keep them away from emergency exits.
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yes if a person cant fit in a seat they should have to purchase 2 seats.
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think people should have to pay for 2 seats because being so large they actually take up 2 seats is a choice, for most people its a choice to shove a burger down and get fat, very rarely are there true medical reasons for people to become huge and its a choice to fly also. I am just obese (BMI 30) and I think plane seats are large and I am nearly 5ft8 btw so I am not tiny, my 6ft3 brother who is healthy at BMI 22 also had plenty of room on a super economy 3 hour flight, yes there wasnt enough leg room as we both have 34inch inside leg measurements but the actual seat was rather comfy.

If I were on a flight and somebody was half hanging into my seat and there wasnt another seat id tell them to move and get of my seat, they should be ashamed and I should be comfy ... sorry if that is harsh but if I pay for a service and dont receive it I go mental.
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes they should. Most people have become that way by choosing to put that extra food in their mouths. I am close to that so am not a thin girl being *****y.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Yes they should, I once had to sit next to a lady who was obese on a plane. I had the window seat so I was smushed up against the wall and I couldn't put my arm rest down. :( I didn't ask for a new seat because I didn't want to be rude and also it wasn't a very long flight, but still... wasn't too fun.
  • I think this is fair... but it reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend when they were talking about the fat tax on fast food... instead she thought clothing should be at different prices depending on the size i.e. people who wear size 4 should pay $20 for a dress and people in size 16 should pay $30 ... more material need more money and that way those that are overweight get targeted rather than the fat tax that gets everyone

... I don't agree but I find it an interesting point.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I think they should. I have been wedged in a middle seat between 2 VERY large people before and it was utterly ridiculous. One woman lifted the armrest between us and her thigh and arm pushed right on top of me for 4 hours! The other one had her leg extended into my leg area. I got up and asked to move (discreetly) but the flight was full. I was not rude to these women but I was very annoyed.

I paid for my seat, and I should get the whole seat; I didn't get a discount bc she took up 30% of my seat. If someone is going to take up more space than 1 seat, sorry, they gotta pay.

I know it's expensive, but unless they're gonna pay for 30% of the next passenger's seat, they need to suck it up.

This makes me nervous just thinking about it. I know for a fact that if some other strange person's body was squashed up against mine or squishing over on top of me I would have a full on panic attack, especially in an already cramped space and trapped for so long. Thank goodness this has never happened to me. They would need to sedate me to keep me from totally losing it!!! :sad:
  • hagamivida
    hagamivida Posts: 129
    Options
    Yes. God yes. Imagine 8 hours on a plane from Madrid to Pittsburgh with two obese people on either side of you, one with a small child.

8 hours of hell.

I couldn't avoid touching them and the kid babbled and cried most of the way through. So I was crunched up in my seat willing the plane to morph into a supersonic jet.

Pay more because you take up that much more space. It is a crap deal, but airlines lose money and passengers get testy otherwise. It is the decent thing to do.
  • isweatglitter
    Options
    Yes. It's their fault.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's their fault.

It isn't always their fault.
    And it doesn't really matter.
    if you have to eat 2 regular meals to be full you have to pay for 2
    if you really need 2 seats, you have to pay for 2
    if you can't use public transport because you are on a wheel chair and the metro/bus is not adapted, you need to pay for a cab

it doesn't have to be fair... business is business,
    I guess you should be able to apply for a refund from gov if you are obese due to some disease, but airline should definitely not pay for it and passenger next seat should not suffer...
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's their fault.

Oh yes IT IS. Having a "bad genes" or medical conditions such as PCOS, hypotyroidism, etc. may make losing weight more difficult but that's not a valid excuse to be morbidly obese. I was diagnosed with PCOS way back 2009 when I was at my highest weight but from there I lost 22 kg (50 pounds). The main reasons why people are getting bigger are because of eating way too much calories & having sedentary lives.

So if a person can't fit in one seat then he has no choice but to purchase another seat. There is no such thing as "buy one, take one" in transportation business.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's their fault.

Oh yes IT IS. Having a "bad genes" or medical conditions such as PCOS, hypotyroidism, etc. may make losing weight more difficult but that's not a valid excuse to be morbidly obese. I was diagnosed with PCOS way back 2009 when I was at my highest weight but from there I lost 22 kg (50 pounds). The main reasons why people are getting bigger are because of eating way too much calories & having sedentary lives.

So if a person can't fit in one seat then he has no choice but to purchase another seat. There is no such thing as "buy one, take one" in transportation business.
    Agree
This discussion has been closed.