Should obese people who can't fit in 1 seat pay for 2?

Options

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    If someone is taking use of two seats, then yes they should pay for the use of two seats. Simple as that.
    If you're "offended" because the airline is "bringing your obesity to attention", uh then change that & lose some damn weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    this happened to someone i know. luckily they were able to shuffle seats so that she didnt have to pay, but it was a HUGE slap in the face for her about her weight

unfortunate situation and embarrassing. i dont know what the correct thing to do is, because i see both sides of the argument.
    The correct thing to do is make the policy clear upon the purchase of the seat, and handle situations on-plane with respect and dignity. The passengers need to comply with the policy too.

Yeah, right. Passengers will willingly admit they are too big and offer to buy two seats....:laugh:
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If they use two seats, they should pay for 2 seats. Especially if the flight is a full one. My opinion may be unpopular, but you asked! :-)
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Yes if you put them in the aisle seats they block the beverage cart. If they're in the window seat and take up 2 seats, Sorry hoss pay up!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmwF4gSWvf5iW0JA_CW-rPjiXbVP0A8kvHUq8z3K3URKlk4UsM
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    this happened to someone i know. luckily they were able to shuffle seats so that she didnt have to pay, but it was a HUGE slap in the face for her about her weight

unfortunate situation and embarrassing. i dont know what the correct thing to do is, because i see both sides of the argument.
    The correct thing to do is make the policy clear upon the purchase of the seat, and handle situations on-plane with respect and dignity. The passengers need to comply with the policy too.
    Yeah, right. Passengers will willingly admit they are too big and offer to buy two seats....:laugh:
    :laugh: Not what I meant.

The airline should make it clear that the seat on the flight is X inches wide, and if you don't fit, you'll have to purchase two. if you show up and don't fit, comply or get off the plane. Sucks, but that is fair.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I think they should. I have been wedged in a middle seat between 2 VERY large people before and it was utterly ridiculous. One woman lifted the armrest between us and her thigh and arm pushed right on top of me for 4 hours! The other one had her leg extended into my leg area. I got up and asked to move (discreetly) but the flight was full. I was not rude to these women but I was very annoyed.

I paid for my seat, and I should get the whole seat; I didn't get a discount bc she took up 30% of my seat. If someone is going to take up more space than 1 seat, sorry, they gotta pay.

I know it's expensive, but unless they're gonna pay for 30% of the next passenger's seat, they need to suck it up.

I would have been livid!! :noway:
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Uh... I don't think there's a tactful way to tell people that they are too fat to fit in one seat, but I agree with the majority on this one. If you're too big to fit in one seat, then just save yourself the embarrassment and purchase two seats yourself. I know a guy (a large guy) who always buys two seats when he flies... he says that it's way worse and far more awkward having to have "the talk" with the flight attendant. :embarassed:
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    yes i think so. not pleasant, but airlines are selling seats.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options

:laugh: Not what I meant.

The airline should make it clear that the seat on the flight is X inches wide, and if you don't fit, you'll have to purchase two. if you show up and don't fit, comply or get off the plane. Sucks, but that is fair.

Most airlines state that in their policies already. Large passengers must be in denial or something. The poor gate attendants and flight attendants. I don't envy them that little task......the people must have never flown before if they really think they will fit in the seats.

They should have a measuring device at the TSA screening station. Those TSA agents should be used to pissed-off people already. Make everyone sit in a regular seat and if you don't fit, you have to have two tickets to get past TSA. I would love to see TSA catch even more grief. They're already like the creepers of the travel industry.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that it could be carried over to other areas of society. It can be like a cigarette tax.

To big for one seat, pay for two.

Can't fit in XL clothing or smaller, pay more.

etc.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think they should have to pay a surcharge - so it costs extra but not necessarily two full seats.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    It seems to me that it could be carried over to other areas of society. It can be like a cigarette tax.

etc.
    Larger sizes cost more already, which makes sense, since they require more material.

Taxes, though... taxing one population more than another as a way to affect/punish behavior is wrong, wrong, wrong.
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    If someone is taking use of two seats, then yes they should pay for the use of two seats. Simple as that.
    If you're "offended" because the airline is "bringing your obesity to attention", uh then change that & lose some damn weight.

^^^^^ LIKE! :happy:
  • Toddrific
    Options

etc.
    Larger sizes cost more already, which makes sense, since they require more material.

Taxes, though... taxing one population more than another as a way to affect/punish behavior is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Err, that's why there is a legal/criminal system. The entire basis of American/Western society is founded on affecting behavior through the pocketbook.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    My husband is a large man, not obese. He's 6'2", very muscular, so he takes up more space than the average person. I guess he could be charged extra, too. I'm glad he isn't or we would never be able to visit family, expensive enough as it is.
    I just wish they would design the seats to be a tad more accomodating. Not everyone is a 12 year old girl.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options

etc.

Err, that's why there is a legal/criminal system. The entire basis of American/Western society is founded on affecting behavior through the pocketbook.
    Being fat or smoking are criminal, and worthy of fines? Really? Taxation as a punishment is immoral.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    i am a pretty big girl (300 pounds +-)

i feel if you need to take up 2 seats then BUY 2 seats

i flew for the 1st time last April , those seats are small .. luckly i protude forward not sideways :laugh:
    i took the window seat, hubby took the middle and a stranger took the aisle .. we all fit just fine

but had i needed the room, i would have bought it .. no one needs to know you did ( but you will get a placard to reserve the seat next to you) and on southwest (maybe others) if you buy 2 seats but then dont need it, you can request a refund .. i did my research on each airlines seat sizes etc
  • Toddrific
    Options

Cigarette taxes are a way of deterring what is deemed an unhealthy behavior.
    Seat belt fines are a way of deterring an unhealthy behavior.
    Tax breaks for a bajillion things are a way of encouraging wanted behavior.
    There are talks already of taxing fast food to deter unhealthy behavior.
    etc. etc.
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    I would have to say that if you're going to use two seats, you should have to pay for two seats.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you are using more than one seat, you should pay for more than one.
    If I go to a restaurant and buy a sandwich, and that sandwich doesn't fill me up and I need another one, I would pay for another sandwich. Not having to pay extra if you are taking up someone else's seat would be like if in the restaurant situation, they allowed me to eat some of another customer's sandwich until I am full. If there is room on the plane and nobody has to sit next to the person taking up multiple seats, then it would not be right to ask them to pay, but just about every flight I have been on lately has been filled except for maybe one or two seats without passengers.
This discussion has been closed.